Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2013, 17:01   #1
BHPian

Architecture Thesis: Petrolhead Headquarters

Have zeroed down to two topics out of which one is a Automotive Complex and second one is a Water and fisheries Tourism Center.

Needed some help with my thesis for research and reference. Wanted to know if the Automotive Complex would be planing wise challenging enough? I'm about to submit my synopsis this week so needed a brief idea.

Was considering a small motor sports complex which included the following facilities and programs:
1. A full fledged auto tuning facility (including Dynobelt )
2. A Museum
3. Themed Cafeteria
4. Advanced Driving School
5. Emulators
6. Exhibition Space
7. A Drag Strip

Was considering a new site or maybe redeveloping the Automission Motor-sport School near Khopoli. Any suggestions regarding the site?

Wanted to know if such a project would be economically feasible and from the point of view of DCR as well?
Old 25th December 2013, 17:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Architecture Thesis: Petrolhead Headquarters

It would be economically feasible, as long as it is located near a major auto manufacturing hub. That would bring in a couple of manufacturers to provide factory support, and would give those companies a chance to do brand building.

I assume the advance driving school would include a track and skid pad? In that case, why not throw the track open to track days, and use it for racing events like the ITCC/IJTCC?

And finally, please expand on the acronym "DCR"? I am not sure everyone in this forum would know ...
Old 26th December 2013, 08:22   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

A small test track and possibly some 4x4 test gradients would make it even more useful.

IMHO Economic feasibility goes for toss the moment you factor in land costs.
Old 26th December 2013, 10:14   #4
BHPian

Exactly my point if you consider land cost feasibility goes for a toss and including a 4x4 track means more land so wanted to keep it small. In topics like these which are not so beneficial to the community on a social level the jury scrutinises it more. DCR is the development control regulations. Going further from the city reduces footfalls and if not marketed properly can kill the project. Second question is how further can one go from the city!
Old 26th December 2013, 12:31   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Neat! Important to make it a recreation center for non-petrolheads too, if the moolah has to come in. Throw in a theater that only shows car flicks every day (reruns of Rush, Fast & the Furious, Gone in 60 seconds etc.).

To make it commercially viable, look at it as an automotive retail hub: New car display & showroom, accessory shops, ICE shops and more.

The drag strip can be part of a track. Would suggest starting with Buddh as your project as it's got a world-class facility, available real estate, deep pockets and is located in North India. Focus your thesis on how to add more value to the Buddh, increase visitor traffic and make it commercially viable.
Old 26th December 2013, 15:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuarterMile View Post
Have zeroed down to two topics out of which one is a Automotive Complex and second one is a Water and fisheries Tourism Center.
Are you not supposed to do your thesis based on future projects or are you free to do fantasy projects?

My wife is an architect, her thesis was the CMFRI(central marine fisheries reasearch institute) at chennai, We went for her case study 4 days before the tsunami and the proposed site was washed away.

I think an automotive heaven would not come to india as its way ahead of its time atleast for now. You can look at upcoming projects in the UAE, that is where most money is and thats were petrolheads with a wallet are.

you can do a case study at the ferrari world.

If you can fantasize, go for a aston martin themed heaven.

Since aston Martin was named the number 1 brand this year, this is surly going to be one project the world would look forward to and you can absolutly go nuts with the idea. Since this is a brand specific theme park concept cars designed by firms such as pinferina would be a great spectacle.

Sorry about the typos, IE does not have spellcheck

Pramod
Old 26th December 2013, 15:53   #7
BHPian

Guess if you wanna try a thesis like that, trust me...look at existing facilities where races do happen like Chennai, Delhi and Coimbatore and develop accordingly.

A friend of mine did track renovation and facilities considering MMST as the base, and was pretty successful in doing the same. Advantage with Chennai is that Ford and Hyundai factories are a stone's throw away which might help you in site location validity/reason.

Last edited by GTO : 27th December 2013 at 12:57. Reason: Typos
raj.barcode is offline   Received Infraction
Old 26th December 2013, 17:46   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Neat! Important to make it a recreation center for non-petrolheads too, if the moolah has to come in. Throw in a theater that only shows car flicks every day (reruns of Rush, Fast & the Furious, Gone in 60 seconds etc.).

To make it commercially viable, look at it as an automotive retail hub: New car display & showroom, accessory shops, ICE shops and more.

The drag strip can be part of a track. Would suggest starting with Buddh as your project as it's got a world-class facility, available real estate, deep pockets and is located in North India. Focus your thesis on how to add more value to the Buddh, increase visitor traffic and make it commercially viable.
Thanks for all the input! Would be nice to convert people from just commuting to actual driving! Having something like a automobile mall would help economically.

Revitalising Budh no doubt is a good topic but it involves more of a marketing and programme challenge rather than any architectural challenges.

Do you think there is scope for a small scale motorsports complex around Mumbai maybe with just a drag strip at most? Will it get footfalls and business? Say around 1hr.30min drive from the city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post

Are you not supposed to do your thesis based on future projects or are you free to do fantasy projects?

My wife is an architect, her thesis was the CMFRI(central marine fisheries reasearch institute) at chennai, We went for her case study 4 days before the tsunami and the proposed site was washed away.

I think an automotive heaven would not come to india as its way ahead of its time atleast for now. You can look at upcoming projects in the UAE, that is where most money is and thats were petrolheads with a wallet are.

you can do a case study at the ferrari world.

If you can fantasize, go for a aston martin themed heaven.

Since aston Martin was named the number 1 brand this year, this is surly going to be one project the world would look forward to and you can absolutly go nuts with the idea. Since this is a brand specific theme park concept cars designed by firms such as pinferina would be a great spectacle.

Sorry about the typos, IE does not have spellcheck

Pramod
We have the freedom to select any practically feasible projects.. That's why Aston Martin will not be feasible and such land in and around Mumbai will be exorbitantly expensive in comparison and this will not play well with the jury. I'm limited by time to take on Mega projects like the Ferrari world. But my friend has done something similar on a more practical scale... He had done a Royal Enfield museum and headquarters in Chennai and good grades also for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
Guess if you wanna try a thesis like that, trust me...look at existing facilities where races do happen like Chennai, Delhi and Coimbatore and develop accordingly.

A friend of mine did track renovation and facilities considering MMST as the base, and was pretty successful in doing the same. Advantage with Chennai is that Ford and Hyundai factories are a stone's throw away which might help you in site location validity/reason.
Problem with going to other parts of India is that I won't be able to do a site visit and that will be a problem. Besides there is no such facility in Maharashtra so there is scope.

Last edited by GTO : 27th December 2013 at 12:58. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 22nd April 2014, 18:59   #9
BHPian

How about a automobile park??

Mods - Searched and did not find a relevant thread, hence creating a new one.

I had been to the Nehru Planterium here in Bangalore last weekend with my son and niece and what I found nice (and sad as well) was the science park there. Few things were rather interesting and though everything was very badly maintained, few things were kind of working 'ok'.

And then it suddenly struck me, imagine a place where kids and adults would get a chance to understand how things worked? Yes, we have the Bangalore museum and there are couple of good stuff there but this would be a interactive park with real working things?? How about a real excavator model which can be operated? Or a complete live axle that showcases why there are differentials in rear wheel drive vehicles?? I mean, just about anything that is mechanical (auto mobiles) and imagine you can get your hands on it?? wouldn't it be amazing?? Any idea how to go about it??
vinair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 22:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: How about a automobile park??

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Any idea how to go about it??
It is a superb idea. In fact i was thinking in the same lines.

Firstly, It would take 10 crores money to buy and construct a decent place for an auto museum. It would then take a minmum of 2 crore rupees to display various components and parts and make some working models. Bribe and other charges would be almost 3 crore.

Secondly, we would need to tie up with an ITI or polytechnic to probably get people to maintain those mechanical moving parts. Secondary labor like Security, Housekeeping, ticketing staff are easier to hire.

Finally, we need someone to fund the property and exibits. That someone is really difficult to find. We need to look forward to someone with a passion for automobiles and museums and not someone who would look at Return on Investment, Profit, growth YoY/QoQ etc. Unfortunately, most business houses are nowadays purely profit oriented and this is the reason there are far more new Multiplxes/Malls/Theme parks compared to Museums.
Old 22nd April 2014, 23:30   #11
BHPian

Have you been to the Vishweshwaraiah museum on Kasturaba road?
This has everything a person would want to know about science, and more.
Had been to a computer museum in California which is kind of the hub of all that has happened for computers, but this one in Bangalore amazed me more.

They have steam engines, cross sections of Internal combustion engines which you can actually move by hand and have a feel of how pistons move.
They explain all kinds of gears, wheels, and all moving parts.

This is just one half of a floor.
There are other sections that talk experiments, biology, Electronics, Electrical, space, etc etc.

You would need a clean half a day and maybe even more. And the entry is a nominal 10 rupees if I remember.

Avoid going here on public holidays or Saturdays as it tends to be a little crowded with school trips.
vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 12:50   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
Have you been to the Vishweshwaraiah museum on Kasturaba road?
Of course mate! and if you read my post, I have already made a mention of it! And, I am not talking about a museum here my friend but a theme park sorts where one can play around with things!!
Old 23rd April 2014, 13:59   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Of course mate! and if you read my post, I have already made a mention of it! And, I am not talking about a museum here my friend but a theme park sorts where one can play around with things!!
You didn't mention it (was it "Bangalore museum"? There are many museums in Bangalore.) You can play around with things at the Vishveshwaraya museum -- it is a superb experience for kids. I am sure you can also suggest new exhibits to them. A new museum/theme park is a great idea if one finds a patron (Tata maybe?), but working with and supporting the museums we do have is very important too.

There are "traffic parks" to educate children in some cities like Nagpur, Chandigarh. Those may also be good places for automotive exhibits.
Old 25th April 2014, 05:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuarterMile View Post

Needed some help with my thesis for research and reference. Wanted to know if the Automotive Complex would be planing wise challenging enough? I'm about to submit my synopsis this week so needed a brief idea.

Was considering a small motor sports complex which included the following facilities and programs:
1. A full fledged auto tuning facility (including Dynobelt )
2. A Museum
3. Themed Cafeteria
4. Advanced Driving School
5. Emulators
6. Exhibition Space
7. A Drag Strip

Was considering a new site or maybe redeveloping the Automission Motor-sport School near Khopoli. Any suggestions regarding the site?

Wanted to know if such a project would be economically feasible and from the point of view of DCR as well?

Its great to see you brainstorming buddy!
I would love to give you more inputs...after some contemplation and perhaps also in person
best of luck and cya soon!
Old 1st January 2015, 17:33   #15
BHPian

Help regarding an Architecture project related to motorsports

Hello all, I am in my final year of Architecture and those of you who are familiar with it would know about the "thesis". A six month project involving complete design of a building or a group of buildings.

Now i have vaguely decided on my topic. It's going to be a Motorsports village set somewhere in the Himalayas. (Spiti etc.)

This is where I need help and suggestions from all of you. I am conducting a feasibility study on the project.

Don't hold back, harsh critique is most welcome.

Concept : An integrated facility consisting of :-

A resort designed taking in mind the 'petrolhead' values.

A go kart track

Off-roading trail

A super special rally stage to be a part of Raid/Sjoba rally etc.

A workshop

Camping space

Misc. recreational spaces

A museum about the history of motorsports in India.

Exhibition space

Restaurant/cafe for day-trippers

Maybe a small race track for fun/testing purposes. Could be included as a part of a village in the hills. ( think of Monaco circuit but rural )

Who would use it ?

Off roading enthusiasts or rallyists in their spare time

They can spend a weekend with their family camping and off roading where everyone can have fun, in the company of like minded people.

Venue can be used as a platform for companies to launch their Big Suv's in their natural habitat.

Autocross events ( think of Sjoba or Oya in Chandigarh and Mohali )

A part / a halt / a special stage included in Raid De Himalaya.

Interesting halt for motorcycle tourers.

Now as of now i feel the whole concept is a bit hollow, so i need to think of more stuff which can be added to make this project worth my time.

suggestions can include

what you would want with such a facility

Do you think it will work ?

In your general experiences, have you ever made a connection with architecture, yourself and your car/motorcycle ?

Do you think the space that you or your car inhabit, makes a difference in your overall experience ?

Would you prefer to stay in a resort which is designed and styled by an automobile enthusiast and suits your sense of aesthetics ?

What more can be added to the facility ? ( please try to keep the suggestions architecture related )

I will post more questions as and when they pop in my head.

Looking forward to some valuable suggestions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks