Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2006, 23:20   #1
DRC
BHPian

Help!! Trouble in UK, What should we do?

Hi all,
I never thought I would come across a story like this.

Thios afternoon, my best friend of life called me to to tell this and sought help/advice.
His sister, who is a brilliant girl went to UK last year, to do her PhD in Biotech(or something like that) in University of Leeds. Last week my friend mentioned that her computer was hacked and some research daa was stolen. It looked amusing to me as usual and I thought some fanatic must have done toshow how vulnerable are products. Having lost her data, she had made it a point to report this to the University and her sponserors for the research. The day before yesterday, some guys have waylaid her and threatened her seriously. She immediately callled the cops and the those guys fled the scene. This also has been reported to the University and sponserors. Now she is very scared.

She is of opinion that University is unhappy that she resported the matter to the cops and sponserors has let down the reputation of the university. But she is indeed scared for her life.

Is there something we can do sitting here in Bangalore. We are trying to bring this incedent to the notice of Indian Embassy in UK. But not sure if this is right or if right how to do it!

Need your good friend advice very soon .

Thanks in advance

Last edited by DRC : 28th June 2006 at 23:23.
Old 29th June 2006, 08:53   #2
Team-BHP Support

Are these two separate incidents - the waylaying and the theft ?

She has done the right thing re: reporting to the police. Am not sure re: the Universiy attitude but let us await what they really do. Am not sure what the Indian embassy can do a this point in time.

What did the people threaten her with ?
Old 29th June 2006, 10:22   #3
DRC
BHPian

They are parts of the same incedent. I was told the next day, when cops came into the campus, she even identified those who did this.
Old 29th June 2006, 10:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think that was the best think to do. A person cannot risk his/her life for the reputation of the university.

I would suggest you at this immidiate momeny bring it to the notice of the high Commission of UK and demand immidiate action.

TO hell with a university who cares about reputation before a person's life.
Old 29th June 2006, 11:52   #5
rks
BANNED

The situation looks *very* dangerous for the girl. There are all kinds of racists in the UK who will go to any extent. So my advice to her would be to take it easy on her complaints and not to press the matter with the cops or the University or her sponsors or the Indian/UK embassies. There is no point in wasting her time and energy in a crusade for justice in a foreign land where the odds are stacked against her -- indeed, she might end up losing everything, including her research support, if she spends too much time going after these crooks. Instead I would advise her to take a small break -- maybe go on a holiday for a month or so to let things cool down, and then get back to her studies. She should focus on how to undo the damage done to her project by the hacking-- how to recover the lost data and how to continue the good work she seems to be doing. And also take technical advice on how to prevent such hackings in future.
Old 29th June 2006, 12:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

During my initial days at Toronto persuing higher studies, A fellow student was shot in the leg by a Black guy while she was working as a Safewalk student( A student is accompanied by two others when going home late night).

The matter caught up in the news but the girl didnt want any further action and the matters subdues.

If I were her. I would claim a compensation of not less than 2-3 million dollars.

The Canadian Govt. shells out billions in lawsuits every year.
Old 29th June 2006, 12:28   #7
BHPian

she should go to and speak to her universitys student union rep and the NUS( National Union of Students) as well .

The student unions are quite powerful in the uk and they do not tollerate these kind of things .

http://www.nusonline.co.uk/

Last edited by Mad Monkey : 29th June 2006 at 12:30.
Old 29th June 2006, 13:32   #8
rks
BANNED

It is clear to me that the following events have occurred:
(1) Some individuals (presumably local white males) hack into the girl's computer, destroying some data.
(2) She complains to the approprate authorities.
(3) These fellows issue threats to her.
(4) She again complains, this time to the police, AND identifies these guys as well to the police.

So what do you think is the logical outcome of this scenario? To me it looks like the university would have no option but to act against LOCAL WHITE students and DISMISS them, first for hacking (which is now a crime in itself) and then for the more serious matter of issuing threats to her. So do you think the university will be happy to take such action against white locals, probably ruining their careers for life? Surely no other university will admit them once they are dismissed? It would definitely be bad press for the university to dismiss locals on the basis of a complaint from a foreign student. Also she has informed her grant sponsors, who no doubt are also supporting a lot of other university projects as well. So no wonder that the university authorities are unhappy with the girl -- they would have liked to hush up the matter and get on with it. All this, assuming that she can prove that the guys she identified are indeed the crooks. I suspect that the girl will run into all kinds of obstacles put up by the police, university administration, and others -- after all, most of the police and univ. admin. guys are also white locals.

Also think about her safety after action has been taken against the locals. I wouldn't be happy to be in such a situation -- is it worth the risk? Instead, she has already made her point to these guys that she canot be intimidated. She should now drop the matter and focus her energies on her primary task in the UK and not get side-tracked, as I had mentioned in my previous post. The mental stress resulting from pursuing this matter will only detract from her research work -- which would be a pity, since she seems to be a bright student.

Last edited by rks : 29th June 2006 at 13:47.
Old 29th June 2006, 14:11   #9
DRC
BHPian

rks, I too feel tha same way. Sure it is not worth that risk. But I am not sure either that the matter will subside even if she decides to let go at this point in time.
Old 30th June 2006, 13:54   #10
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
rks, I too feel tha same way. Sure it is not worth that risk. But I am not sure either that the matter will subside even if she decides to let go at this point in time.
Even if she pursues the matter vigorously, I don't immediately see how she can prove her case -- it seems to be just her word against those she has identified. If they deny that they threatened her, she can't do much unless she can produce witnesses. Secondly, the people who broke into her computer most likely used some public terminal (otherwise they would be complete fools); so the break-in will be difficult to trace as well. So this appears to be a dead-end anyway, unless there is some compelling evidence in her favour.

I am not able to understand why she informed the sponsors of her project. Being a PhD student, the research grant was most likely awarded to her thesis advisor. I hope she consulted him before taking the step of communicating with her sponsors. Otherwise he will definitely be pissed off; there is a lot of politics involved in getting these grants and the equation between the professor and the funding agency is always delicate -- the prof. often has to win the grant against severe competition. She should have left it to him to handle the funding agency -- unless he instructed her to go ahead directly. So there is some justification for the university taking a dim view of her action in this matter.
Old 2nd July 2006, 00:08   #11
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'd suggest that she takes a vacation and comes here for a while coz this seems really screwed up and yeah I know one thing for sure those racist pricks stop at nothing so tell her to pack and buzz for a while
Old 2nd July 2006, 08:12   #12
BHPian

I think the University would take action against the white dudes if she complains properly. She needs to see a lawyer for that.
The Universities have a certain code of conduct which they have to follow and they'll never deviate from that. If she complains, they're definitely gonna take some action against them since it's written in the rule books. If they don't, she can even file a case of racism against them with the cops.
Things aren't as bad always as they appear to be, especially in the UK.
Old 2nd July 2006, 10:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Are these two separate incidents - the waylaying and the theft ?

She has done the right thing re: reporting to the police. Am not sure re: the Universiy attitude but let us await what they really do. Am not sure what the Indian embassy can do a this point in time.

What did the people threaten her with ?
Ask her to involve the good old National Union of Students (NUS). They will act as a link with the university bigwigs and throw their weight about.

Hacking etc is a crime in the UK and if these people are students they could be kicked off their courses.

The Indian High Commission has no weight in such matter, they have problems giving out tourist visas so they will be as much use as a chocolate teapot. Unless you are the son/daughter of some Indian politician they do not care (look at all the Indian nationals in Iranian, Egyptian and Turkish prisons, the consular services they receive are very poor)

Last edited by bigman : 2nd July 2006 at 10:46.
Old 3rd July 2006, 14:22   #14
DRC
BHPian

Thanks for all your help and advice.
Latest update is..

University mentioned she is not well, and cops also observed she was in a state of shock , hence she has been hospitalized.

We got one of our friend to get in touch with the hospital and other in Leeds, just in case.

However, what remains unexplained is what happened to the goons who threatened her, and why University is contradicting her statements?

Thanks for the help again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks