Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2006, 15:04   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Good to hear that Viper. How is the situation on the ground? FLooding in any area's there? Rain seems to have taken a break right now, lets hope it stays that way.
Hi Robin,

They were diverted through God knows what roads from Sion. They had absolutely no flooding on the roads they were diverted thru. Kudos to the traffic police on a job well done.

Viper
Old 5th July 2006, 15:22   #17
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
You have just been introduced to aquaplaning my friend. Drive safe and it even pays more to stay within the speed limit on rainy days.
Ahh... aquaplaning -- so that's what it feels like in real life. Very unpleasant and dangerous. And I did conclude, through hard experience, that about 90 kmph is the safe top speed on the Expressway, at least in my vehicle, under such rainy conditions -- and you have to watch the road very hard for those sheets of water.
Old 5th July 2006, 15:23   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
Wondered how that could happen -- till my Santro hit a sheet of water at about 110 kmph and pulled sharply to the right. Wrestled with the steering and got it back on course. At times I felt like the car was skating on the Expressway, when my speed went to 120 kmph -- so had to slow down. The steering first pulls sharply to one side -- and when I correct, it then pulls the other way -- very poor control at that speed. Wonder if this is due to the power steering or maybe my overinflated tyres (33 psi)? Also it seems the tyres grip the smooth concrete patches of the Expressway very poorly under rainy, windy conditions --on the tar road at the Pune bypass stretch, the road grip seemed better. .
As Drifter has said, you have been aquaplaning your way from Pune to Mumbai and back. Search the threads for aquaplaning and you will get to know how serious it is. In fact, its quite a miracle (thankfully) that you did not have any incident. When there are sheets of water on the road, your speed shouldnt go beyond 60 kmph. Drive safe.....
Old 5th July 2006, 15:42   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
about 90 kmph is the safe top speed on the Expressway, at least in my vehicle, under such rainy conditions --.

Believe me you concluded wrong!
Under very rainy conditions, and especially on the expressway 90 is pushing it!

cya
R

ps - good to hear your family made it back safe viper.
Old 5th July 2006, 16:15   #20
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan

Believe me you concluded wrong!
Under very rainy conditions, and especially on the expressway 90 is pushing it!
The Expressway is ever the temptress, and one day she might just draw me to my doom. You may be right about 90 kmph being too fast, at least on certain stretches of the Expressway with heavy winds and crossflow of water. And I will have to read more about aquaplaning, as nitinbhag suggested. From vague memory I recollect 100 kmph being mentioned as the speed above which aquaplaning sets in, but I suspect this will vary with road conditions and the vehicle used.
Old 5th July 2006, 16:35   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
From vague memory I recollect 100 kmph being mentioned as the speed above which aquaplaning sets in, but I suspect this will vary with road conditions and the vehicle used.
It could set in at MUCH lower speeds, be careful mate! 120 kmph on an expressway in heavy rain & winds in a Santro can be a perfect recipe for disaster.......drive safe!
Old 5th July 2006, 17:38   #22
BHPian

Dude- it doesnt take any special speed to aquaplane Just because there's a "plane" doesnt mean you have to hit escape velocity for it to happen

I have aquaplaned and done a 360 in Bandra itself on a dead straight road - Linking road- just outside national college- at about 40kmph
(with a little assistance from the Bald retreads on my fiat!! ha ha)
Old 5th July 2006, 17:40   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvhead
I have aquaplaned and done a 360 in Bandra itself on a dead straight road - Linking road- just outside national college- at about 40kmph
(with a little assistance from the Bald retreads on my fiat!! ha ha)
Trying to impress the chickita's are we???
Old 5th July 2006, 17:52   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvhead
Dude- it doesnt take any special speed to aquaplane Just because there's a "plane" doesnt mean you have to hit escape velocity for it to happen
OT.. is this the JOKES THREAD REVV??
But you are right.. that could theoretically happen at any speed!
Old 5th July 2006, 18:16   #25
Team-BHP Support

Rks,

Your 100km/h from memory is correct in terms of 55mph being the speed usually quoted as the speed above which aquaplaning occurs under normal/good circumstances.

And by normal circumstances they mean, a well drained road, good tread height on your tires, and usually a rather heavy/large car.

So, on the expressway, average tyres and in a santro.....i would almost half that speed!

cya
R
Old 5th July 2006, 18:18   #26
BHPian

good to know tht viper...have a nice party...n also hapy birthday in advance
Old 5th July 2006, 23:34   #27
BHPian

acrually rehaan when i took my drivers edclass in high school in the book it said anything over 35mph will be enough depending on tyre thread to induce aqua planing
Old 5th July 2006, 23:49   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
The Expressway is ever the temptress, and one day she might just draw me to my doom. You may be right about 90 kmph being too fast, at least on certain stretches of the Expressway with heavy winds and crossflow of water. And I will have to read more about aquaplaning, as nitinbhag suggested. From vague memory I recollect 100 kmph being mentioned as the speed above which aquaplaning sets in, but I suspect this will vary with road conditions and the vehicle used.
Its can happen at any speed, even 30kmph. It all depends on your tyres.
Modern tyres have grooves which are designed to expel water sideways. So when the water is deeper and your tyres cannot expel enough water, it forms a sheet between the tyre and the road. So you have no steering and no brakes unless the tyre again contacts the ground.
So if you want to experience such speeds in water, get a powerboat and go to the sea, pushing limits on expressways puts yours and others lives in danger.
Old 6th July 2006, 00:21   #29
BHPian

Oh Viper its good that your family made it home safely. If possible ask the driver as to which route he took? It may be useful just incase theres flooding again.

Aqua planing ===>>>

az
Old 6th July 2006, 10:42   #30
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by autozealot
Oh Viper its good that your family made it home safely. If possible ask the driver as to which route he took? It may be useful just incase theres flooding again.

Aqua planing ===>>>
Thanks to all for helpful info on aquaplaning. And as pointed out above, Viper and those with info on the road status please keep the thread going. I will input my experience after my trip this Friday and the following Monday.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks