Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2009, 21:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Then have the quantity verified in the same place. After all somebody's got to do it, right?
Old 22nd November 2009, 21:29   #17
BHPian

The attendant may not have reset the reading before filling your car.
For e.g. if the car ahead of you filled in Rs 200 worth of fuel, he would have not reset the machine and filled in Rs 300 worth of fuel in your car.
This way the machine will show Rs 500 and if you do a check of the dispensing machine w.r.t quantity being dispensed againt the display, there would be nothing wrong with it.
Old 22nd November 2009, 21:29   #18
~~h
BHPian

A. Fill from another pump for 500 more and see if the needle comes to point where it needs to be for 20+ litres. If it does, you have some minor problem with the float like I do*.

B. If it does not.. there's something wrong with your first pump.

*in my Hyundai, when refilled from almost empty, sometimes the needle takes its own sweet time to come up.. and if I fill 20+ liters, the behavior is normal..
Old 21st January 2010, 01:02   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to post this:

Yesterday, I filled 500 bucks of fuel (regular) in my i10. That should take the needle just over the half-way mark (starting from half-way of the first quarter). But it didn't come anywhere even near the middle point.

but the pump indicator clearly showed 500 bucks/11.18 litres.

It was clearly rigged. I'm never going to that pump again, but is there anywhere I can file a complaint?

It was an Indian Oil station in IP Extention, Delhi
Are you talking about Kapooor service station next tO mandawli Thana??
Old 21st January 2010, 10:53   #20
BHPian

The other day a TV channel was showing how they caught the cheating at the petrol pumps across Bengaluru - A modified bike with a separate tank which would be be filled by the pump. The attender will not know that he is filling the second tank. The reporters asked the attender to fill 3 liters. Once done the entire tank was drained and verified for the volume. All the petrol pumps showed the quantity between 2.25 litres to 2.75 litres.
Old 21st January 2010, 11:11   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by naru

but the pump indicator clearly showed 500 bucks/11.18 litres.

It was an Indian Oil station in IP Extention, Delhi

Is petrol so cheap in delhi??? or does i10come in diesel variants too
I mean I get only 13 litres of diesel here in bangalore for 500 that too from shell.How can petrol be even comparable?
In haryana you will get 16.2 litres of diesel in 500. :P
In punjab and Haryana diesel varies from 30.5 to 33.5 per liter.
Old 21st January 2010, 16:07   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
The other day a TV channel was showing how they caught the cheating at the petrol pumps across Bengaluru - A modified bike with a separate tank which would be be filled by the pump. The attender will not know that he is filling the second tank. The reporters asked the attender to fill 3 liters. Once done the entire tank was drained and verified for the volume. All the petrol pumps showed the quantity between 2.25 litres to 2.75 litres.
What i fail to understand is that why is this cheating so rampant in bangalore,as compared to other cities.

Also short delivery from machines cant be curbed by the OMC's as this comes under The jurisdiction of Weights and Measures Deptt, Which is the most corrupt dept i have come across! In delhi No dealer risks loosing his pump over short delivery these days. As their is strict surveillance in Delhi, however The customers are usually Cheated By the Sales Boys By diverting the customers Attention, its hard to tamper the New Dispensing Units that have now come in. So all one needs to do is be vigilant While fuelling.
Old 21st January 2010, 16:37   #23
BHPian

Well, I feel, best place to go is to Shell. If that is not an option, go to a bunk that is known for diversion tricks. Hopefully they will not be short-fueling and applying diversion trick simultaneously.

Regards,
Old 21st January 2010, 16:53   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Wouldn't some of the fuel evaporate during the transfer and wouldn't some of the vapor also get left behind in the tank? Did they account for the fuel that evaporates?
Old 21st January 2010, 18:25   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Did they account for the fuel that evaporates?
The Known and accepted limits of petrol evaporation By the Oil companies in 0.6%. So in case of 3 litres the max that would evaporate if it does would be 18 ml. which depends a lot on climate as well. But .6% is the max limit thats accepted.
Old 11th June 2012, 19:49   #26
BHPian

Re: Petrol Pumps - Are we getting what we are paying for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandUp View Post
I thought about this issue. What if someone in the company which is manufacturing electronic filling station, reprogram the chip and made it skip numbers. He makes this chip available to outside vendors or sell himself. I feel chip can be easily programmed to skip digits and thereby showing incorrect amount of petrol filled.

This technique can be almost fool proof. How, let us say, we watch the meter showing liters filled, we see the digits being skipped, we call the petrol pump sales person, ask him for an explaination, he press a button of remote hidden in his pocket to reset the programming and then ask you to re-check. Now you will not see meter skipping. In fact no one could detect this stealing.

Then I thought it further, what if, when we see such pilferage, we immedaitely cover the elctronic filling machine with some material which makes remote useless and stop it from resetting electronic filling machine?

What thought you have one this. When you go to petrol pump, please check if digits skips. Please provide your input here.
I thought of not replying this thread as the fuel dispenser & related issues are being discussed in another thread, but this particular thought worth a reply.

Yes that is true for dispensers manufactured 2006 before. But a story of remote in pocket is not really true to the best of my knowledge. What actually happens is the main chip of the dispenser is having tampered programmed. (No need of a dispenser programmer to do it, its pure electronics and many are literate in this, tools are also available and looking at the profit the cost involved in buying the tools is too low. So a study of 3 months & implementation of another 8-9 will give you same program with add on features) So how they do it, at morning when the dispenser is powered on they keep the nozzle out to take dispenser in different mode or key in a particular code or something similar. and the dispenser is now giving tampered deliveries. if someone suspects that this might be caught then they simply turn OFF/ON the power and the dispenser is back to normal. This was very easy when SMD was not mandatory and we had socketed chips on the cards where one can change chips, here other functions were not of importance.

Somewhere in early 2007 the oil companies asked for encryption between pulsar (A device which converts volume in electronic pulses) and the main mother board. Here tampering with changed program reduced to a great extent (Again I am not saying its gone), because now or then the pulsar was never touched as it is under W&M seal & ever re sealing is a matter of approval, so in new dispensers even if you manage to change main software pulsar is way difficult to change. Now the faction is different but yes it is there for sure, though known not good to state all as at times not knowing somethings gives a peace of mind.

Last edited by Modifiedsachin : 11th June 2012 at 19:51. Reason: they spelled as the

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks