Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2006, 22:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Most Memorable Montoya Moments

With Juan Pablo Montoya's F1 career coming to an end at the conclusion of this season, it's time to look back at his most memorable moments: the good, the bad and the ugly...

The Good
01) 2001 Brazilian GP: Only three races into his F1 career, Montoya pulled off a seat-of-your-pants overtaking maneuver on Michael Schumacher that put him in the lead of the Brazilian GP - and he did it with two wheels on the grass. Interlagos, though, wasn't to be the venue for his maiden win and he was taken out of the race by the lapped Arrows of Jos Verstappen.

02) 2001 Italian GP: Despite being a rookie driver, Montoya shocked the Tifosi by beating Ferrari's Rubens Barrichello to the chequered flag at the Italian Grand Prix for his first GP win.

The Bad
03) 2001: Montoya and his first team-mate in Formula One, Ralf Schumacher, didn't get a long particularly well... in fact at all well. To the extent that when Montoya was asked if he would help Ralf win the World title, the Colombian tartly replied, "It's 'not like he's not going to win the Championship anyway". Miaow.

04) 2003 French GP: Believing that Williams had favoured the German, Montoya swore down the radio to Williams over team-mate Ralf Schumacher winning the race - reputedly calling them all "sh*ts". "No Juan, you're the sh*t," replied Sam Michael. Five weeks later, he joined McLaren

05) 2003 Nurburgring GP: Montoya is slammed by Ferrari technical director Ross Brawn for his "classless" driving after he forced Michael Schumacher off the track. Michael, though, approved of the move. Go figure.

06) 2003 U.S GP: Montoya was in the hunt for the 2004 Formula One World title when he was given a drive-through penalty at the United States GP for his part in a shunt with Rubens Barrichello. The penalty effectively ended his title challenge.

07) 2005 Bahrain and San Marino GPs: A dubious accident while playing tennis saw Montoya miss both the Bahrain and San Marino GPs - rumours later emerged that it was actually a motorbike accident that resulted in his injured shoulder. "'When fat people try to get fit, they tend to get injured," concluded David Coulthard.

08) 2006 U.S GP: Juan was largely responsible (if not entirely so) for a seven-car pile-up on the opening lap of the 2006 United States GP. Even worse though: the pile-up started because he took out his team-mate Kimi Raikkonen. JPM then attempted to blame Kimi.

And The Ugly
09) Canadian GP: Jacques Villeneuve accused Montoya of brake-testing him at his home track and physically went for the Colombian. He allegedly gripped Montoya by the throat before other drivers pulled the two apart. Villeneuve allegedly informed JPM that, "if you do that again, I'll put you in the trees."

10) June 2005: Montoya clashed with a camera man... the camera man accidentally hit Montoya on the head with his equipment and the furious Colombian had to be restrained by his wife Connie.

Source - www.planet-f1.com
Old 16th July 2006, 02:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't he hold the record for the fastest lap in F1 history? Monza - 162mph (average speed).

More - http://www.bmwworld.com/racing/f1/2002/montoya.htm

But the most memorable "Montoya" moment has to be the day he decided to leave F1 for Nascar. Hahaha

Shan2nu
Old 16th July 2006, 05:17   #3
BHPian

The good:

http://www.pistonheadstv.com/videos/129.wmv

The bad:

http://members.chello.nl/c.langedijk...adomontoya.wmv

and I won't bother with the ugly.
Old 16th July 2006, 10:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ome moment I remember was the same Brazilian GP when he took the lead and was clipped from behind by the Arrows sending him out of the race. The way he was going he could have actually got his first win .
Old 16th July 2006, 12:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

He hasnt been the best behaved driver, nor spectacular or even reasonably successful.

However, he comes from a legacy of wheel-to-wheel racing and overtaking and I guess he was a misfit in F1 where you have to file an application in advance or receive an invitation before you can overtake, and then you're expected to do it like nobody noticed.

I agree with his comments that overtaking in F1 is considered to be a sacrilege and if there's wheel-to-wheel contact you're considered an outcast immediately. Villenueve the Big Mouth also spoke about F1 being boring today.

Is it any surprise then that these two drivers arent liked by any of the others, who seem to be comfortably numb in the safe, overtaking free and BORING world of F1 today.

Sideways sent me a video of some old time F1 racing. Now THAT is what I call racing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks