Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2006, 16:43   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Whats the deal with Blogs?

I hear that blogs are gaining much popularity. Whats the deal with them? I have visited a couple of blogs but found them y-a-w-n. Even car related ones.

I can understand why forums have caught on due to the interactive nature of discussion. But with most blogs, its one persons opinion. And maybe a handful of comments.

Blogs have been around for years. What makes them so popular now?

Any bloggers on-board? I am really curious...

GTO
Old 24th July 2006, 16:46   #2
BANNED

Well I guess blog's are a way for really boring people to bore others with mundane details of their boring lives..
Never understood them.. and don't want to either!
Old 24th July 2006, 17:16   #3
BHPian

Blogs are a ideal way for "timepass" for IT Software Professionals -either typing them or reading them...IT guys have WAY too much time on their hands...

Let the brickbats & comments come...

PS : I am myself in IT
Old 24th July 2006, 17:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

I don't like most of the blogs. It is just somebody's opinion about something or about something they did on a day etc and that doesn't matter to me.

But there are couple of blogs i read regularly. One is msmobiles and the other is on Lego NXT. The owners just post all the latest information and news about the PocketPC phones and Lego nxt in their blogs. They like one stop shop for anything on Pocket PC phone & Lego NXT.

Last edited by satish_appasani : 24th July 2006 at 17:24.
Old 24th July 2006, 20:21   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
But there are couple of blogs i read regularly. One is msmobiles and the other is on Lego NXT. The owners just post all the latest information and news about the PocketPC phones and Lego nxt in their blogs. They like one stop shop for anything on Pocket PC phone & Lego NXT.
These kind of informational blogs are OK. What makes me yawn and fall sleep are the blogs that generally talks about well, general things, just mild opinions about this and that.

I don't think I can be a blogger, I need some interaction and I don't mean reader comments. I need conversations.

Last edited by Samurai : 24th July 2006 at 20:24.
Old 24th July 2006, 20:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

I guess I am part of a distinct minority here - I like blogs. They can be about anything as long as the author knows his way with words, and be interesting. I did start a blog, but now it is like ages since I updated it (though I still jot down interesting incidents that I plan to post). Plain lazy.

Some nice blogs that I would recommend :

http://waiterrant.net/ - Guy is a waiter in an Italian restaurant, and writes incidents happening where he works.

http://standingonthebox.blogspot.com/ - A bouncer in a posh NY club writes his experiences as a bouncer.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 24th July 2006 at 20:33.
Old 24th July 2006, 23:54   #7
Team-BHP Support

I blog, but i doubt many people read my blog.
But then there are blogs which are simply amazing.
Some of them are tech related, like Premshree's blog in LiveJournal. Pure Ruby and programming stuff.
There is latelyontime who writes really entertaining stuff
http://latelyontime.livejournal.com/145907.html is one really entertaining one with an even more entertaining discussion.
Then there is Kiran, or Jace as he is know in the blogger world. TOI did an article on him! His blog used to be really nice, but of late he is on sort of sabbatical and rarely writes
Then there is www.greatbong.net, another (in)famous blogger.
Old 25th July 2006, 02:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Some blogs popular among Bangaloreans:

http://thebangaloretorpedo.blogspot.com/

http://doctorpissed.blogspot.com/

Both funny, the latter is absolutely hilarious.
Old 25th July 2006, 02:58   #9
BHPian

I'd say it is all about the aam aadmi being able to express his opinion. Works well if one were part of an extended family to share news, pictures and the like.

There's this blog I recently came across which is nice for India motorcyclists:

http://rearset.blogspot.com/
Old 25th July 2006, 09:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

The one advantage which I can think about blog is instead of writing emails & sending them to all you just put a blog & let people read that.

The problem with blogs is that everyone wants to have one, but not everyone is good with words. Granted there are some good blogsthere but most of them are not so good.
Old 25th July 2006, 09:36   #11
BANNED

OT here's the thing.. either my ISP didn't get the notice on UNBLOCKING Blog site's or the Government in its INFINITE WISEDOM has blocked them again.
Old 25th July 2006, 11:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
I hear that blogs are gaining much popularity. Whats the deal with them? I have visited a couple of blogs but found them y-a-w-n. Even car related ones.

GTO
LOL and I thought I was the only one who felt like that. Yes some of the blogs are really good to read but most of them are just for the heck of it, I believe most of the people have a blog because the person next to him in his cubicle also has one i.e. more like a fad or an 'In thing' to have.

I mean its good if you have good literary skills but rest are plain jane boring heck even mine contains only pics from my rides & no text as such

here's mine http://www.kedargadre.blogspot.com/ I am using it more like an album
Old 25th July 2006, 11:48   #13
BHPian

Personally, I feel blogs are a shift in how news/information is now made available in the open. No more corporate jargon through press releases, and no more Ministry of Information and Protocol telling the press how and what to call someone or something.

As with all public expression, blogging is a huge responsibility, and as has been seen in the US, can even shake Governments. True, most of the bloggers out there can be compared to boogers, but like in any group, there are the outstanding ones that make the whole concept worthwhile.

Blogging could be our 'newspapers' of the future. Many of our generation have given up on print-media, preferring to read news online from multiple sources. The blog will bring you news from the ground, or from multiple sources, in your language and not in press-speak, and that will negate the need for the organised media as we know it. As said by Thomas L. Friedman, 'anyone with a camera mobile phone, a voice recording device, and access to the Internet can now take on the role of a journalist'.

I think its a great revolution, but as with all things, will have to endure the brickbats before getting to the boquets.
Old 1st August 2006, 14:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Some blogs popular among Bangaloreans:

http://thebangaloretorpedo.blogspot.com/

http://doctorpissed.blogspot.com/

Both funny, the latter is absolutely hilarious.
v1p3r, The 1st one is real good. Seems pretty sensible (on issues that concern us) and makes you think, while taking digs at all those personalities that don't really deserve the attention they are getting. Those that are at the receiving end include Ganguly, Harbhajan, Bal Thackeray, Salman, Tendulkar, Amar Singh, Bachan, Saif etc etc. The list is long and in most cases (if not all), they seem to deserve it.
Though have to admit that it hurt when he pilloried Soha Ali Khan (isn't she cute, guys ?).

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 1st August 2006 at 14:31.
Old 2nd August 2006, 09:19   #15
BHPian

ah blogs .....

im not much of a blog reader myself ........ im an opinionated person who likes to keep her opinions mostly to herself and doesnt really care about other people's points or view unless they're directly related to me , but i have this friend who is just so awesomely funny with his blogging that even i'm forced to admit that "his" blog is a 'good read' (to put it mildly) .
he doesnt write about stuff that'll save the world , just the daily stuff that most of us deal with but its written with such humour and sarcasm that it make me roll around with laughter .........

ps cant seem to be able to access the link right now to his space but will post it (of course with his permission ) once i can .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks