Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2006, 12:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Piranha or Pacu?

I recently got a pair of fish for my 70 gallon aquarium (which the guy claims to be Piranhas).

But, it's not diff to get confused between a flesh eating Piranha and a fruit eating Pacu, since they both look similar.

My question is. Is there any way i can find out if, what i've got are actual Piranhas or Pacus?

Couldn't find any websites with satisfying explaination.

The ones i've got are around 4.2" in lenght. They've got a red underbelly, a couple of teeth on the lower/upper jaw and willingly pounce on meat pieces dropped into the tank.

My guess is, if it was a Pacu, it prob wouldn't be interested in meat (as it's a vegetarian)

Shan2nu
Old 27th July 2006, 12:53   #2
BANNED

Hey, just dip ur lil finger into the tank and I'm sure u'll know which of the two it is ...!!!

Cheers
Old 27th July 2006, 13:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, just dip ur lil finger into the tank and I'm sure u'll know which of the two it is ...!!!
Haha, it don't work that way. Coz the first fish that'l attack my finger will be my 11" Oscar (which belongs to the Cichlid family)

Shan2nu
Old 27th July 2006, 13:09   #4
BANNED

Pacu's eat meat also...I used to have them years ago. Heh, even I got scammed and thought they were piranha.

Piranha lower jaws are much more muscular and the teeth are more obvious. Also, they are much smaller than Pacus - 6-8" max vs more than a foot for full grown Pacus.

I suggest you starve the fish for a day or so and then drop a guppy or baby goldfish in there. Best way to find out.

Post some pics of your fish and I'll ask some friends to have a look.

Also visit http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/. There are some good people on the site who can clarify your doubts.
Old 27th July 2006, 13:27   #5
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Shan2nu i thought Piranha were banned in india ? and a 70 gallon aquarium damnnn !!!
Old 27th July 2006, 13:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Haha, it don't work that way. Coz the first fish that'l attack my finger will be my 11" Oscar (which belongs to the Cichlid family)

Shan2nu

then put all your ten fingers
Old 27th July 2006, 13:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shan2nu i thought Piranha were banned in india ? and a 70 gallon aquarium damnnn !!!
I don't think all breeds of Piranhas are banned. Only the red bellied one i guess. 99% of the aquariums sell you Pacus, telling you they're Piranhas. I guess my fishes are no diff.

Will see if i can take some good snaps of them and post them.

Yup, we got the tank made last week. 56" in lenght, 18" in height and 16" in width. It's actually 69.XX gallons.

Quote:
then put all your ten fingers
No thank you. Driving is more imp to me than finding out their breed. LOL

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 27th July 2006 at 13:46.
Old 27th July 2006, 14:21   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Yup, we got the tank made last week. 56" in lenght, 18" in height and 16" in width. It's actually 69.XX gallons.
Shan2nu
A mini coffin.

@shan2nu chk this link on Piranha identification..might be helpful.

http://www.piranha-fury.com/pfury/in...showtopic=9708
Old 27th July 2006, 14:35   #9
BANNED

Hey there are some breeders selling genuine red bellies in Mumbai and Bangalore. I'm not too sure about other places.

The link I posted earlier has lots of contact details etc. It's like a t-bhp for fish lovers.

Btw, if you have an Oscar in the same tank and it's not yet been attacked, I think you've got Pacus. Piranha are real mofos. They won't do anything in front of you when they're new, but in the dark they will attack anything else in the water.
Old 27th July 2006, 15:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well, i guess they're Red Bellied Pacus. Bcos the lower jaw is in line with the upper one. Piranhas are said to have a huge lower jaw.

But the overall shape and colour looks like this particular Piranha.

PS : If these are Pacus, then i'm gonna need a big pond, to keep them. I heard they grow upto 24" (they're 4.2" now). So far, so good.

Shan2nu
Old 27th July 2006, 15:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

@ boom; nice liner; tbhp for fishes.

thats not a Piranha I guess. I had some before. YOur fish is beautiful My Piranha didnt look like this at all.

and the tail of ur fish,its 2 long to be of a piranha

Last edited by jkdas : 27th July 2006 at 15:21.
Old 27th July 2006, 15:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thats not a Piranha I guess. I had some before. YOur fish is beautiful My Piranha didnt look like this at all.

and the tail of ur fish,its 2 long to be of a piranha
Hahah, it's obviously not a Piranha. The firt pic i've posted, is that of my Oscar. No wonder it looks more beautiful than your Piranha. LOL

My Pacus looks like the Piranha pic i've posted above your reply.

Shan2nu
Old 27th July 2006, 15:54   #13
BANNED

Hey that doesn't look like any oscar i've ever seen.

I've had oscars and they looked like these http://www.oscarfish.com/
Old 27th July 2006, 16:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey that doesn't look like any oscar i've ever seen.
This one is a long tail version of the Oscar. U must have had the regular, short tail one.

He was only 4" when we got him a year ago. He killed his pair (territorial fight). Was living alone until we got the Pacus. Had to literally sit with a stick to defend the Pacus bcoz he was not used to sharing his tank with other fishes.

He's bitten me several times and believe it or not, he can draw blood. My fish guy didn't believe it, until he got bit. LOL

I've got a vid of him attacking my hand (to protect his territory). Will post it in a while.

Shan2nu
Old 27th July 2006, 16:17   #15
BANNED

Heh. So what the hell do you need piranha for? Your oscar seems to be doing the needful.

I had to give mine away because they got too aggressive with my other fish...they actually learnt to jump onto the turtle platform, flip around on their sides and grab food out of my hands or the turtles' mouths!

Still remember, once I asked my mom to feed the fish when I was away. She called up to complain that 2 of my fish were "behaving very badly" and grabbing food from her.

Anyways, so you planning on keeping the pacus?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks