Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2014, 12:23   #1
BHPian

Indian Super League - Hit or Miss?

Not sure how many watched the Indian super league which started from yesterday. Though not a complete soccer fan, I do watch matches once in a while. Apart from the so called extravagant opening ceremony (by the way which I thought was cheap) I am hoping against hope that ISL becomes a super league like the Indian Premier league for cricket and we discover very good football talents who can play for our national side.

Hope ISL can also swerve budding talents to look at something else part from Cricket and improve the quality of Indian football. Though it needs to be seen if all the above wishes do materialize, I am one of them who really want this league to be doing good in the coming years.
Old 13th October 2014, 15:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Indian Super League - Hit or Miss?

Add me too to the list hoping that this is at least an average hit!! Opening ceremony was awful - changed the channel when Ms. Chopra announced a first lady of Indian sports and in came Mrs. Ambani!!!

The match was good - though the turf was completely owned by Kolkata. Looking forward to tonight's match between Kerala and NE. No super stars except Capdevilla
Old 13th October 2014, 16:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Same here - wish this infuses some much needed life blood to football and becomes an average hit at least.

Last edited by GTO : 14th October 2014 at 14:49. Reason: Typos
Old 13th October 2014, 16:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

The standard of play was much more than the Indian standards that we see regularly. But I think it depends on the type of overseas players that will participate. Retired or past good players might not be that useful.
Old 13th October 2014, 17:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Retired or past good players might not be that useful.
In fact just retired players and immediate past players will actually do good for the publicity of the game. But in terms of quality, even second division players from South America or Africa would give a boost
Old 13th October 2014, 17:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

I saw the first 50 minutes of the match and the quality of players is far from international standard. Also the "rowdyness", with 5 yellow cards made it feel like gully matches.

Please do not mention the pathetic hosting hosting by Priyanka Chopra. Anyone, I mean ANYONE would have done a better job than her.

Some big names from current batch of international players would have done good to the popularity of the game. Currently, I am sure 95 percent of Indians do not know a single international player. Ronaldo, Rooney, Messi, Neymar....Heck even Retired Ronaldo (BRA), Zidane, etc would have helped with the popularity.

I am supporting the NE team by the way!!! Good to see them getting a team to play independently!
Old 13th October 2014, 17:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Retired or past good players might not be that useful.
Come on !! Have you ever watched a live I-league match. Comparing to that ISL is good to start with, isn't it?
Old 13th October 2014, 17:26   #8
Team-BHP Support

I missed the opening ceremony (thank God !).

Logged in to see the match but switched channels after ten odd minutes. The standard of soccer put me off, even though I am not a big fan of the game. I will follow the scores and standings of the league, but don't think will watch it.
Old 13th October 2014, 17:52   #9
BHPian

I think the ISL needs a couple of seasons more to invoke interests from folks. Anyways now a start has been provided and hope ISL survives a good number of seasons. Unless there is a huge business interests shown in ISL via sponsorship and increase in TRP’s, which will then allow teams to procure more classy players ,there will not be much room to upgrade the quality of matches.

Simply put, only if major sponsorship or business deals are signed with teams and players ISL will survive. Otherwise ISL will slowly bleed to death.
Old 14th October 2014, 13:41   #10
BHPian

I would say yesterday's game was watchable. What irked me was the poor camera-graphy (don't know the word for it!), where they showed replays while some important live action is going on! How can you do that?!? Imagine showing a reply of a missed goal, while a team concedes an actual goal.
Old 14th October 2014, 14:16   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanomics View Post
I would say yesterday's game was watchable. What irked me was the poor camera-graphy (don't know the word for it!), where they showed replays while some important live action is going on! How can you do that?!? Imagine showing a reply of a missed goal, while a team concedes an actual goal.
That almost happened yesterday. They were showing the replay of a missed goal while another goal was being missed.
Old 14th October 2014, 14:48   #12
BHPian

Re: Indian Super League - Hit or a Miss

I used to play football in my school days. Our sports teacher used to make selections for regional competitions. He would select only those players who could dribble the ball. I was good at passing and kicking but not too good in dribbling. He didn't appreciate that fact. Most people chosen would keep dribbling the ball but never pass. Even if they are close to the goal, they will never attempt a shot but try and dribble their way through.

That's how Indian football is. From the very beginning, players learn to only play individually. That's why any soccer match you see involving Indian players is a very slow game. Passing the ball is often inaccurate. 90% of the time the passed ball lands with the opposition team. Moreover, Indian players tend to hang on to the ball for long time trying to figure out where to pass. Within this time, the opposition gets an obvious edge. I have never seen an India player scoring a goal from outside the 'D'.

Even if we get foreign players in ISL, I don;t think Indian payers will improve unless they focus on selecting players with specific strengths.

Note that, great players like Lionel Messi, Beckham are all good and accurate kickers.
Old 14th October 2014, 15:05   #13
Mik
BHPian

Re: Indian Super League - Hit or Miss?

While the standard of play has been inconsistent, both Athletico De Kolkata and NE FC were pretty composed. Also, some of the goals have been stunning. On Sunday night, all top 10 twitter trends were on the ISL. So the league is making the right noises. Just hope that the sustained marketing effort is kept on. We might just have a hit. Oh yes! this is far better than IFL.
Old 14th October 2014, 15:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

I am following FC Goa. I am planning to watch two of the matches: November 22nd (vs FC Pune City) and November 26th (vs Kerala Blasters FC). Tickets are available in bookmyshow.com. I am yet to book the tickets though.

Anyone else planning to watch these matches?
Old 14th October 2014, 15:54   #15
BHPian

I think the "Indian Super League" is a good platform for people interested in professional football.

Most importantly, it's got all that razzmatazz, the mass entertainment of Bollywood and football, riding on the success and format of the Indian Premier League (IPL). It kicked off its inaugural edition with an opening ceremony that was high on glam quotient.

Moreover, it's a business deal with Reliance Industries and the International Management Group (IMG) of the United States which gives IMG-Reliance exclusive commercial rights to sponsorship, advertising, broadcasting, merchandising, video, franchising etc..

Sources on the web:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...w/44797477.cms

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Super_League

Now we have so many leagues that's it hard to follow. Most of the leagues are celebrity/industrialist based and operated more like business enterprise rather than a sport. But due to these leagues, many people get a chance to play their sport which otherwise would be difficult for them to proceed with.

Now the various Professional sports leagues in India. (Hope i'm not missing any)
Indian Cricket League
Indian Premier League
Indian Badminton League
Pro Kabaddi League
Premier Hockey League
Super Fight League
Indian Athletics League (proposed)
Indian Wrestling League (proposed tournament by the Wrestling Federation of India)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks