Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Bit-Rate Conversion Query (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/16064-bit-rate-conversion-query.html)

viper 16th August 2006 18:04

Bit-Rate Conversion Query
 
Hi Guys,

Wanted to know if I convert a existing MP3 which is 128kbps to 320kbps will there be an improvement in the sound quality or do I need to directly convert the wave file to mp3 @320kbps. Problem is all the files on my hard disk in MP3 format were converted @128kbps.

Also is there some free software which will allow me to adjust all my tracks at the same volume level or if someone can email me the sofware @ jngoradia@gmail.com. would really appreciate it.

I have downloaded Cdex 1.70 beta but for some reason cannot get it to convert songs on my hard disk only allows conversion form CD's.

Please help.

Viper

kutlee 16th August 2006 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper
Hi Guys,
Also is there some free software which will allow me to adjust all my tracks at the same volume level or if someone can email me the sofware @ jngoradia@gmail.com. would really appreciate it.
Viper

i am not guru on mp3's. There is volume leveller software on mp3's. its called mp3 gain. i have tried some others for volume leveller. this one is quite fast. i can send u the software and u can give a try. http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php.

dogdiga 16th August 2006 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper
Hi Guys,

Wanted to know if I convert a existing MP3 which is 128kbps to 320kbps will there be an improvement in the sound quality

Viper

No... By doing so, you would not gain any improvement in the sound quality.

When the MP3 was encoded at 128 kbps some of the sound information was lost due to quantization

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantiz..._processing%29

and obviously you cant introduce what was lost by just encoding it at a higher bitrate

Deepkant 16th August 2006 18:18

I agree with Dogdiga, you will not improve the sound quality of a Mp3 sampled at 128 Kbps by furthur sampling it at >128 Kbps. What you can do is get the original copy and create a new mp3 at >128 Kbps and then you will feel the difference.

aZa 16th August 2006 18:38

Like everyone else has said, changing bitrate post conversion wont do much other than just increase the filesize. For conversions and normalization try DBPowerAMP its very easy to use and works on rightclick menu.

speedzak 16th August 2006 19:05

Once the MP3 is made, then there's no real benefit in converting to a higher bitrate. But if you're still in the process to make MP3s, then making it in the highest bitrate is advisable. Minimum??? 192KBPS sounds fine for me.

Shan2nu 16th August 2006 19:33

Quote:

Minimum??? 192KBPS sounds fine for me.
I've got a couple of songs at 320kbps, they're good.

For regular listening, even 128kbps is good enuf. But if you're really particular, then stick to audio cds or better still audio dvds. Imagine the quality and depth you could get from those formats, and i think audio dvds are 5.1 chl.

Shan2nu

muni 16th August 2006 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan2nu
I've got a couple of songs at 320kbps, they're good.

For regular listening, even 128kbps is good enuf. But if you're really particular, then stick to audio cds or better still audio dvds. Imagine the quality and depth you could get from those formats, and i think audio dvds are 5.1 chl.

Shan2nu

I guess there are not that many audio DVDs that come with the 5.1 format except for the video ones. stereo mode is still more than 98% of music audio that comes out..

condor 16th August 2006 20:14

Viper, when you tried CDex 1.70, what was the format of the source songs? I dont think CDex does a re-encoding of mp3 to mp3 [lower to higher bitrates], but others would do this.

we did discuss bit rates earlier:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...r-stereos.html

ess_a 16th August 2006 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedzak
Minimum??? 192KBPS sounds fine for me.

I feel 128kbps is enough... Plus it also saves some memory on the CD or whatever storage device u are using... 192kbps doesnt make much of a diff, excepy maybe psychological, but surely consumes more memory...

carfreak 16th August 2006 22:06

Quote:

192kbps doesnt make much of a diff, excepy maybe psychological, but surely consumes more memory...
you are wrong ess a,it makes a lot of difference.yeah,if it was initially recorded in 128kbps,then nothing can be done to improve the quality,but else
you miss out a lot of frequencies on 128kbps which you will get with 192kbps
yes,memory will definitely decrease once you increase the bit-rate

i usually record at 160kbps.thats the minimum bit-rate i prefer.

Mugen_Power 16th August 2006 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper
Hi Guys,
do I need to directly convert the wave file to mp3 @320kbps.
Viper

Hey Viper,

Check your e-mail..
I Have Sent The Software for converting wave files to mp3 @ any bitrate.
Hope This Helps..

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.

khanak 17th August 2006 03:01

I have made an audio cd(wav) out of mp3 files. now when I rip them onto my hardisk should I chose 320 kbps or just the 128 kbps they were originally in?

navin 17th August 2006 07:03

Viper, I am sorry to bust your bubble.

Once a MP3 has been encoded to say 128k recoding it to 256k wont improve sound quality. The size will double though.

Upcoding is not like Upsampling. You cant regain information already lost from coding to a lower bit rate.

MP3gain will normalise your MP3s to a set level.

Ideally if you can re rip your CDs using sometihng like CDex or EAC (with LAME) etc... it would be a cleaner nicer solution.

BTW I am of the opinion that VBR offers a better size/performance ratio than CBR esp for rock, rap, and most modern music.

condor 17th August 2006 07:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by khanak
I have made an audio cd(wav) out of mp3 files. now when I rip them onto my hardisk should I chose 320 kbps or just the 128 kbps they were originally in?

Khanak, the quality of your new mp3's will depend on what was the bit-rate of your original mp3's. Choosing 320 now will not help. Also, each time you convert from one format to another, you lose some quality. IMHO, dont even convert these particular audio tracks into mp3's, unless you need to.


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:29.