Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2013, 16:42   #11371
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Scale Model Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Ooooh man, Guderian - The Defender is to die for!! Your pictures made me sit up in rapt attention - The model, and the photography, both rock, big time!!
I shall wait with bated breath, for more such manna...
Thank you SuperSelect for the warm words.
Hopefully this weekend should see me with a few of the other models and my camera. And to me the Kingfisher calendar 'business' just pales in comparison !
Old 7th February 2013, 12:23   #11372
BHPian

Finally after a good 6 months of off season. My latest build. A 1971 Porche 917K in the legendary Gulf Oil colors from a Fujimi Kit.
Attached Thumbnails
The Scale Model Thread-778673_10151287553880197_912863373_o.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-798363_10151287554075197_444425765_o.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-843748_10151287553915197_502942384_o.jpg  

Old 12th February 2013, 21:09   #11373
BHPian

Guys i was just browsing through eBay India wondering which scale model to buy to start of my collection when i stumbled across this
http://www.ebay.in/itm/AUTOart-78261...ht_3102wt_1139

It is a 1:18 Pagani Zonda R Carbon Fibre model by AutoArt put up by a seller in the US
asking price is a whopping 24,561/-
Old 13th February 2013, 14:17   #11374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Guys i was just browsing through eBay India wondering which scale model to buy to start of my collection when i stumbled across this

It is a 1:18 Pagani Zonda R Carbon Fibre model by AutoArt put up by a seller in the US
I Guess the diecast bug bit you too Welcome aboard!
Well, before you start off, you need to finalize on a couple of things. Namely, which scale do you want your collection to contain (1:18/24/43 or 1:12). IMO, 1:18 is the way to go. Its the perfect size, clean details & the basic-priced ones will satisfy your need for good craftsmanship
Decide if you want to follow a theme to your collection or you want to make random purchases (i follow a themed collection - Supercars)
Next, decide on a budget & stick to it (personal suggestion) coz its very difficult to resist the temptation & you end up going overboard with your purchases.
Then, do plenty of research. The model that you've quoted is wayyyy too pricey. You can get it for as low as 17k, this i am talking about importing from US from an online store. If you can source it from HK or have someone get it for you, even better! You'll save more.
So, basically, do your homework well. Ask questions before you make your initial purchases to get good guidance from the forum members (like you did here, good).
Feel free to ask more questions buddy. TC.
Old 13th February 2013, 17:02   #11375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx

I Guess the diecast bug bit you too Welcome aboard!
================`
Feel free to ask more questions buddy. TC.
The diecast bug bit me quite a while ago. But since I am still only 18 and in college have to depend on my dad's wallet for my collection.
So Kyosho and AutoArt are a no-no.(maybe on a occasion like birthday,etc., )
I am gonna collect only 1:18 as far as possible.
The theme's gonna be the iconic cars made by each Auto giant.(subject to change in 2 years when I start earning :P)

I was wondering is Welly better than Bburago and Maisto??
Old 13th February 2013, 17:37   #11376
BHPian

Quote:
The diecast bug bit me quite a while ago. But since I am still only 18 and in college have to depend on my dad's wallet for my collection.
So Kyosho and AutoArt are a no-no.(maybe on a occasion like birthday,etc.,)
I am gonna collect only 1:18 as far as possible.
The theme's gonna be the iconic cars made by each Auto giant.(subject to change in 2 years when I start earning :P)

I was wondering is Welly better than Bburago and Maisto??
Ah! Starting young, great by the time you start earning in a couple of years, you'll already boast of a nice big collection. Unfortunately your dad's wallet wont be too happy considering this bug/itch keeps getting bigger each passing day
I like your theme! I can already imagine how your garage would look in the next 5-yrs & good decision of sticking to 1:18's
Yes, Welly is better than both Maisto & Bburago (M & Bb both are owned by the same parent company). Quality of both are iffy, bburago being worse off. IMO, try avoiding them both. Stick to Welly. The flipside is that Welly's garage is wafer thin. Not a lot of desirables on the list.
Welly will set you (dad) back by ~3k. Maisto & Bb by ~2k.

Kyosho/Minichamps & the likes start as low as 5k & if you can convince your dad for them, nothing like it. You can reserve the 10k+ bombshells for occasions.
Old 14th February 2013, 21:58   #11377
BHPian

Quote:

Its great to see more people get into collecting scale models. Shanksta, my suggestion is when you get into this hobby, look to collect quality models only. Bburago and maisto are really awful. The detailing on them is really bad. Go for quality makers like Kyosho, autoart, hot wheels elite, and that sort. Instead of buying 2 cheap models buy one which is greally great. One you start earning, trust me you will buy only the best. So your old cheap models will slowly move to the loft and gather dust.

But what i would really suggest you, more so since you are young is to get into model making. You can make the best of models at less than half the price of a Miasto and achieve a quality atleast as good maybe even better than the best diecast model makers. And trust me the satisfaction in making is something else. Its easy to swipe your card at a shop. But once you have made the effort to make that wheel look exactly as it did in the picture or get the paint as shiny as the best display model. Trust me you will never look at ready made diecast models ever again.

All the best with your collection.
Old 16th February 2013, 16:54   #11378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Devil View Post
Its great to see more people get into collecting scale models. Shanksta, my suggestion is when you get into this hobby, look to collect quality models only. Bburago and maisto are really awful. The detailing on them is really bad. Go for quality makers like Kyosho, autoart, hot wheels elite, and that sort. Instead of buying 2 cheap models buy one which is greally great. One you start earning, trust me you will buy only the best. So your old cheap models will slowly move to the loft and gather dust.

But what i would really suggest you, more so since you are young is to get into model making. You can make the best of models at less than half the price of a Miasto and achieve a quality atleast as good maybe even better than the best diecast model makers. And trust me the satisfaction in making is something else. Its easy to swipe your card at a shop. But once you have made the effort to make that wheel look exactly as it did in the picture or get the paint as shiny as the best display model. Trust me you will never look at ready made diecast models ever again.

All the best with your collection.
I completely agree that one should *try* to invest in collecting quality models.
But I disagree with the fact that self made models can be better than AutoArt & the likes. Sure, they might turn out better than Maisto/Bburago, but i think its a stretch to say that it will be better than AA etc. I mean, sure, you might end up spending only a fraction of what they cost, but there's no way you can better the fit & finish, doing it yourself.
Model making is an art & like you said, & there's no bigger satisfaction of achievement when you create something yourself
Old 16th February 2013, 18:19   #11379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
I completely agree that one should *try* to invest in collecting quality models.
But I disagree with the fact that self made models can be better than AutoArt & the likes. Sure, they might turn out better than Maisto/Bburago, but i think its a stretch to say that it will be better than AA etc. I mean, sure, you might end up spending only a fraction of what they cost, but there's no way you can better the fit & finish, doing it yourself.
Model making is an art & like you said, & there's no bigger satisfaction of achievement when you create something yourself
McLaren, even I thought you can never achieve the finish and quality offered by a good model maker but trust me you really can. I collect models too. But about a year and a half back i decided to give it a go and I have never looked back since. The best thing about model making is, you have access to cars which are not available in diecast or are prohibitively expensive for mear mortals like us. If you dont trust what i am saying just give it a go your self. I guarantee you will change your out look to model making. It just take a little bit of patience and time. Thats it. By the way you can look at my post of the models i have made on the same forum. I am sure you will love to see the MP4-4, its on of my dearest models.
Old 16th February 2013, 20:12   #11380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Devil View Post
McLaren, even I thought you can never achieve the finish and quality offered by a good model maker but trust me you really can. I collect models too. But about a year and a half back i decided to give it a go and I have never looked back since. The best thing about model making is, you have access to cars which are not available in diecast or are prohibitively expensive for mear mortals like us. If you dont trust what i am saying just give it a go your self. I guarantee you will change your out look to model making. It just take a little bit of patience and time. Thats it. By the way you can look at my post of the models i have made on the same forum. I am sure you will love to see the MP4-4, its on of my dearest models.
I-n-t-e-r-e-s-t-i-n-g. I must say Red Devil, they look neat
Guess i'll be a believer only when i see them in person though. Till that time, i guess i would exercise my card rather than exercising myself (coz i'm just too plain lazy)
Old 21st February 2013, 21:00   #11381
Senior - BHPian

A gift from a German friend who works for BMW in Munich.

The Scale Model Thread-bmwmpower_4145.jpg
Old 24th February 2013, 01:39   #11382
BHPian

1:18 Plymouth superbird
1:18 AC Cobra
1:18 Belair
1:18 Roadmaster
1:18 Ford pickup
1:18 Impala
Attached Thumbnails
The Scale Model Thread-superbird.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-ac-cobra.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-belair.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-buick.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-ford.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-impala.jpg  

Last edited by CaliforniaKnight : 24th February 2013 at 01:55.
Old 24th February 2013, 19:00   #11383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
A gift from a German friend who works for BMW in Munich.
Neat. What scale? 1:24 i assume. Do you have a collection yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight View Post
1:18 Plymouth superbird
1:18 AC Cobra
1:18 Belair
1:18 Roadmaster
1:18 Ford pickup
1:18 Impala
Man oh man! AC colba & the Plymouth are such desirables. Great snaps too
Old 25th February 2013, 01:33   #11384
BHPian

Quote:
Man oh man! AC colba & the Plymouth are such desirables. Great snaps too
Thank you McLaren Roxx.Its a pretty small collection that I possess.Find below another set.
1:18 288 GTO
1:18 Ferraris
Attached Thumbnails
The Scale Model Thread-288gto.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-fezzas.jpg  

Last edited by benbsb29 : 28th February 2013 at 05:23. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 25th February 2013, 10:09   #11385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
Neat. What scale? 1:24 i assume. Do you have a collection yourself?
I think you are right and it is 1:24 though nothing is written. A friend who is into it said it is a 1:24 model. It's more of a toy that can be pulled back and then it moves if released. It also makes funny noise when you open the doors. It's made in China, as usual ;-)

I don't have any collection of scale models. But the pictures here are fantastic. I might get hooked sooner or later.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks