Team-BHP - Netflix: Now in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Netflix: Now in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/172049-netflix-now-india-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCEite (Post 4495775)
Isn't NetFlix an overtly expensive service in India.

I mean why would i pay 600 odd per month to Netflix when i can get a similar content on Amazon Prime for 999 per year and that too with Amazon's prime member benefits.

Compared to competitor pricing, it is expensive. But I can bet that the content is way superior to what is available on rest. It has global content, majority being in English, with great production value. India-specific shows & films are limited and that's what distorts the price-value equation.

The viewing experience on Netflix app is consistent across platforms. 'Skip' feature along with viewing continuity is what I like the most. Hotstar, specifically is the worst of all the internet apps that I have used. Prime has been getting better but I'm not too fond of the content available there, except for a few local shows.

As a long-time Netflix user, I happy paying the odd 500-600 for the service. So much so that I don't want to renew the regular DTH subscription which we have.

Quote:

I mean why would i pay 600 odd per month to Netflix when i can get a similar content on Amazon Prime for 999 per year and that too with Amazon's prime member benefits.

Better content. I just signed up today for ₹650/month. Fortunately, it supports two TVs, which means a single account serves me in Bangalore and Udupi.

However, I still have subscribe to cable TV at ₹450 because my mom wants to see local news and TV channels. Hopefully I can wean her off them and hook her into Netflix and Prime. :D

PS: I was one of the original subscribers of Netflix, when they sent DVDs in a red cover via post. I watched them destroy Blockbuster Video. I used the service between 1998-2004, until I returned to India.

Signed up with 3 of my friends for the 4 screen account. Each screen becomes like a sub-account for us and we end up shelling out only Rs. 200 per month per person. :D

Quote:

Not at all, its the only one supporting 5.1 streaming. Prime doesn't have that.

The titles and shows are also 10X better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 4495801)
However, I still have subscribe to cable TV at ₹450 because my mom wants to see local news and TV channels. Hopefully I can wean her off them and hook her into Netflix and Prime. :D

These days most of the news outlets have started live stream channels on YouTube which is usually playing the same content as TV. You can see if that works out for the specific channels you are interested in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilwearsprada (Post 4495851)
its the only one supporting 5.1 streaming. Prime doesn't have that.

Amazon Prime does support 5.1 through Amazon Fire Stick and some other devices.

I am personally getting 5.1 Amazon Fire TV Stick.

In fact I get 5.1 audio on Mi Box 3 (with Amazon Prime apk sideloaded meant for Nvidia Shield).

https://www.primevideo.com/help/261-...deId=202064920

Quote:

Quite right.
And to add, Netflix's entry barrier in the Indian market is also pretty high given the ultra competitive rates offered by Amazon and Hotstar.
And while Amazon has upped the ante by throwing in goodies like the prime subscription across its retail delivery platform, Netflix doesn't have anything of that sort to boot. Same goes for Hotstar, which has tried to woo away the customers by branding itself as an "Indian" streaming service.

However, when it comes to top Hollywood or international content, neither Amazon nor Hotstar hold a candle to Netflix!

And perhaps Netflix knows this, hence it is stubbornly refusing to alter its pricing strategy for quite a long time now.
But for how long, well you never know.

:OT this analogy reminds me of Apple refusing to change its pricing structure in India even as various Android entities are putting a lot of strain.

Quote:

It isn't.

1.It is roughly the same price charged in any other country
2. Content is hugely better than Prime

I am signed up for Prime (Canada + India), Netflix (CA), Hotstar (Ind) & Sony LIV. If I were to assign value, I'd say, Netflix is the best streaming service and Amazon (India) the best overall Value.

Amazon (CA) is crappy, but the same day/one day deliveries more than make up for it. I use Hotstar and Sony LIV with a VPN, only for cricket matches, there is absolutely nothing else useful on them.

I have both Prime Video and Netflix accounts, and here are my observations:

1. For Bollywood movies, both have fair share of options. Prime had more of content based cinema while Netflix picks up masala ones
2. For Hollywood, Netflix seems better for both new or old movies
3. Netflix has better collection of series overall
4. The biggest difference comes in when we look at their originals. Netflix is way ahead in case of content and quality. Prime loses out big time here. I think Prime's best one I like is 'The man in the high castle'. But they are too slow to release the new season. While Netflix just keeps giving us hits. And they are capturing Indian market with indigenous series as well.
5. Netflix has amazing documentaries. I can always find something to watch

Till HBO steps in, I don't see any threat to Netflix that will force them to change their pricing strategy. Most people have Prime Video because it comes free with Amazon Prime. And a lot of people get it because they also get Amazon Prime free with it.

For me, I like the free Amazon Music more which comes with the Prime account. With Apple car play, I like playing online music in my car! They have good playlists and its ad free.

Once the Disney streaming service is here, expect a LOT of titles on netflix to suddenly vanish without a trace.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Liner (Post 4496061)
Once the Disney streaming service is here, expect a LOT of titles on netflix to suddenly vanish without a trace.

I am seeing lot of options for English movies compared to prime video. I also realised there are so many actors than we see otherwise. How would Disney streaming service affect content on Netflix? This is my layman question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deehunk (Post 4496075)
I am seeing lot of options for English movies compared to prime video. I also realised there are so many actors than we see otherwise. How would Disney streaming service affect content on Netflix? This is my layman question.

Sir, Disney films owns all of the rights to their own movies, and they license it out to guys like Netflix for streaming. Once Disney goes live with their own streaming service, most of these rights to Netflix will not be renewed.

For instance, all the new star wars movies will not come to Netflix at all. And neither are the older ones given to Netflix.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deehunk (Post 4496075)
How would Disney streaming service affect content on Netflix?

Disney is ending its relationship with Netflix by the end of 2018, and will start its own streaming service in 2019, called Disney+.

It is most probably going to pull out all existing and upcoming content and movies from its famed Walt Disney Studios, Pixar etc. This is where Netflix is going to be hurt the most because of Disney's decision.

For us users, this means 2 possibilities:-
More info here and at this wiki page.

I have both Netflix and Prime.
Netflix is way ahead of prime. The catalogue is simply superb. Prime has very few titles and when it comes to English barely anything good. Even Netflix UI is better. And where Netflix actually scores brownie points is the 4k content. There are too many and it's quite outstanding. Especially the Netflix originals are mostly 4k HDR.

BTW currently I have free Prime membership for the year courtesy my Airtel broadband and free Netflix for 6 months courtesy my purchase of new Sony TV so I am having the best of both worlds.:D

Just saw this on my FB news feed. If this is true, would sound the death knell for good content. Nanny state.

https://theprint.in/culture/after-am...-india/149976/