Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2016, 18:12   #31
BHPian

Re: Elevator manners - General civic sense lacking?

Not related to elevator-etiquettes; but very much related to elevator nonetheless.

This happened in my office a couple of months back. There were 2 people waiting for the elevator apart from me. This elevator was programmed to stop at Ground-Floor and then 7th to 12th (top) floor. The first person entered and pressed 12th floor. And, when I got in and was about to press 9th, he stopped me and told me to get down while the elevator comes down from the 12th. I was taken aback by his question. I mean, why should I? Why should I go all the way up to 12th and then get down at 9th when the lift comes down again?

Even when I was about to understand his statement to the fullest, the third person entered and pressed 9th floor.

Slowly, the first person mentioned that he is a lift-engineer/mechanic and the elevator adjacent to the one we were in was struck and he was going to sort that out.
Old 4th March 2016, 19:13   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhawan15 View Post
The same set of people who spit/stand in the middle of elevator gates or talk loudly during an elevator ride would become perfectly educated gentlemen if there is a foreign delegate or trainer around.

How in the world can we spit on the roads? Can't understand that the same set of guys won't spit once in Singapore because of the ticket and would happily go on spitting on Indian roads. Just amazes me about this.
Absolutely agree with you. Guys who do all these things over here are the law abiding citizens abroad. IT companies give a lot of classes and orientation program on how to behave abroad. But why they cant spend time on how to behave at own country
Another finding is many people just enter into an empty elevator and stand in front of the key pad. And they will act as the lift operators
Shouting in elevators:- Enter in as a group and continue discussion of some silly things on a loud voice.
Old 4th March 2016, 22:09   #33
BHPian

You hit upon two of my pet peeves regarding elevator use.

In my office too, there are people who press both up and down buttons. I park in the basement , one day, I had 4 elevator runs come packed full from zero (ground floor).

The other is getting into the lift without waiting for the current occupants to exit.
Most of this is common sense, and I was never taught this is school either, or at work, it's just natural - but as life shows, common sense is rather uncommon.

Another, if unrelated, issue is parking sense. A lot of IT workers have no parking sense. A lot many park 2 wheelers on side stand using up more space - now I understand some bikes like the KTMs and more recent 200+cc bikes skip the main stand, most people have scooters or 100 to 150cc bikes which are light enough. Worse, there are many who park in such a way, blocking 2 slots. I often tell my HR casually - forget the other soft skills training, teach people to park and use the elevator first.

Last edited by Ricci : 4th March 2016 at 22:14.
Old 5th March 2016, 10:46   #34
BHPian

One hundred percent agree with you luvDriving.

It is really shocking to see how "well educated" behave in public places. One reason for this inherent behaviour is the way grew up here. Our country is one of the great places to live. No argument on that.

But, from the very beginning of our childhood, how we tried to get into crowded buses, trains, Cinema theatres etc have a profound effect on the way we behave at a later stage in our career. This behaviour can be refined with a little concerted attempt from our end. Hope everyone refines their civic sense and public behaviour.

Kudos to you for bringing up this topic which is very much relevant in our day-today life and have a greater influence in moulding the behavioural pattern on our children.
Old 5th March 2016, 12:23   #35
BHPian

And then there are another set of bit taller people who stand feet apart in elevators and that too close to the door giving the impression that lift is full. Actually lift wud be near empty, its a pain asking them to move in a bit.

Reminds me of my younger days when we school going kids would hang out of the door of the public buses preventing many from getting in.

Payback time

Andy
Old 5th March 2016, 18:11   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Civic sense is not lacking, it is absent in its totality.

Sadly, no amount of education can change such mentality.
Well Sir, Education can only give knowledge. The will to implement the knowledge has to come from within. Strangely one will find that most of the nuisance is created by educated species only, whilst the uneducated ones compete in the catch up game. What say about those fat guys in a combination of white shirt-pant, hawaai chappal, Gold chain, Gold bracelet, dark goggles et-al, coming in sumo/bolero/scorpio???

"Ego" and "show off" before others, are the only reasons for this unruly behaviour.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 5th March 2016 at 18:13.
Old 5th March 2016, 18:36   #37
NPX
BHPian

I'm 6ft tall guy with heavy built. In terms of weight I'm heavier than many "fat looking people".
I find it really disgusting when "not so fat" people give a demeaning look to the "fat looking people" if the lift becomes overweight.
Old 5th March 2016, 20:00   #38
BHPian

How come the most funny logic that is deployed more often than not is not mentioned so far.

If you are on 5th floor, lift car is on 1 st floor and you want to go down, which button will you press? Up or Down?
The answer is UP

The logic is that the person who pressed it is telling the Lift car to come up.
Am I the only stupid who never got it or I have company?
Old 5th March 2016, 20:22   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
These experiences in a very respected IT company whose employees are supposed to have some basic courtesy and manners! And this is the list for only the elevator.

I mean have we completely given up on being civil to one another
Sadly, degrees and education in our country does not guarantee civic sense and courtesy. Most of the rashly driven cars i encounter each morning on my way to work belong to the 'techies'. Supposedly educated. Unless we start teaching values at an early age to our children, unless we teach them to respect those around them, unruly and insensitive behavior on roads, elevators, offices and other public places will continue!
Old 5th March 2016, 20:23   #40
Senior - BHPian

Elevator Manners?
Here in the Indian corporate world?

Ha ha!

When most of the denizens of Corporate India have no concept of "Manners", how can it be any different in terms of Elevator etiquette?
Old 5th March 2016, 20:28   #41
Senior - BHPian

Few of the examples of lack of Elevator Etiquette can be seen during flights also, we should have a thread for that too.
Old 5th March 2016, 22:16   #42
BHPian

Taking about poor manners, I cant help but post about a most well mannered gentleman I encountered recently.

Like the thread creator, I work for an IT company and I too witness quite a lot of ill manners in and around escalators. Recently one night I was leaving office around midnight when an elderly cleaning staff member boarded the lift. He pressed second floor button and an already tired me felt a bit irritated. As the lift was descending I saw him cancelling his button press by doing a quick double tap ( Escalators in our office building has that feature ). I thought he might have pressed second floor button by mistake and now fixing it. As the lift reached ground floor, I rushed out only to realize that the gentleman had stayed back. I turned around to find the lift doors closing on him as he was making his way back to second floor!!

I felt quite humbled.
Old 6th March 2016, 08:37   #43
BHPian

I will post another example here that I usually see at the IT PARK where I work. Damn there are so many things people do just to use elevators. Read all comments and had the mental satisfaction of each and every rant oozing out. :P

Here we go,
- Take the lift to come downstairs from first to Ground while going home.
- Take a separate lift to go from Ground to -1 (where the cabs wait for taking lazy people home).

I mean what.. people board separate lifts to alight two floors of a building? It is like changing local trains/buses to go to a destination. This accounts to around only 40 steps. Are we as young IT professionals of India that lazy? I feel pity and amused at the same time for these people. How empty and meaningless your life has to be to do this.
Old 6th March 2016, 09:30   #44
Senior - BHPian

Manners Maketh Man - as in Colin Firth's punchline...

Saying this, the concept of simple, honest to goodness queuing up to board an aircraft, or a bus or similar, doesn't exist. Nor does the concept of allowing those already in the lift to get out first, before barging in.

Also, absolutely no decency when it comes to allowing others who were in the lift bay before you, to actually take precedence.

The same lack of manners is evinced on the roads.

And this bad behaviour encompasses both the genders.

So, if the whole of the Indian workforce are Engineers and MBA's and whatnot, it seems reasonable to surmise that none of them, though highly qualified on paper, actually have gained a real "education" per se.

They are merely a bunch of Robots on Auto pilot, chasing the lure of lucre, to the exclusion of all else.

In this sense, what a hell hole India has become in the last 15 years!!
Old 6th March 2016, 10:27   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower View Post
Unless we start teaching values at an early age to our children, unless we teach them to respect those around them, unruly and insensitive behavior on roads, elevators, offices and other public places will continue!
Well said. When I was a kid, I used to see my father inevitably thanking the auto drivers or small shop keepers without fail every time he used their services. He stressed that they were providing a service and it is our duty to thank them.

Now this may be a small thing, but nowadays the words "Thank You" seem to have disappeared from the vocabulary of most children. Most of us are all too busy making our billions to think about instilling values in our cbildren.

Again while i am not from an IT company, I have been at the receiving end of bad manners from many of the youngsters working there, in public places like malls. airports or on bus and train services , first in Bangalore and of late increasingly in Kochi as well. Kerala (despite popular perception) still has some manners left with people but many of these youngsters are all set to destroy that double quick. Now this gets passed on to others as well.

A couple of weeks back I watched in horror when on a JnURM Volvo bus from Trivandrum to Ernakulam , with about 20 people standing, a 30 something conductor sat royally in his "reserved" seat when there were atleast half a dozen ladies old enough to be his mother's age who were travelling standing. None of them were short distance passengers either and the fare paid was exhorbitant. They are higher than Multi Axle Volvos but KeSRTC allows standing passengers on Intercity Volvos (but not on Multi Axle Volvos) on long routes like Trivandrum Ernakulam. Finally someone had to tell the gentleman conductor to vacate his seat and show some courtsey so that one of the senior citizens who was travelling long distance, could sit.

Why cannot IT companies who all have elaborate induction programmes for youngsters who join them ,introduce a few modules on etiquette and good manners on their training programs in addition to ones on cutting edge technologies and state of the art programming? For that of course the trainers themselves have to practice what they preach in terms of manners and etiquette , which I guess from what I have read on this thread and elsewhere , nowadays there are no guarantees. Also surprise checks and random evaluations during the training program has also to be a part of it , otherwise no one will care. If a stiff fine can be a deterrrent which forces people to behave in places like Singapore why cannot IT companies do the same like wise to their trainees on their induction programmes many of which are anything from 6 months to an year long? We have to accept the fact that nowadays only things which affect their fat pay check or their appraisal ratings will have any impact on many of these IT Yuppie Kids.

Just a few random thoughts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks