Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2006, 13:42   #1
BANNED

Help: Zone alarm Firewall .

Anyboby over here using Zone alarm firewall if so plz see the picture & tell me it's something to worry , someone hacking my pc
Old 25th September 2006, 13:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

ZA keeps popping up alerts on all firewall activity unless you turn off alerts or set the threshold to medium.

Configure it like so:
Attached Images

Old 25th September 2006, 14:16   #3
BANNED

Steeroid
Thank's , I've same setting like u ,is someone trying to access my pc ? , is window firewall is effective , i think i will unistall this & use window firewall instead .

Last edited by unknown : 25th September 2006 at 14:17.
Old 25th September 2006, 14:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Click on the 'More Info' button on the Alert (next to the label 'Smart Defense Advisor') for more details on what this alert means - you will be taken to a ZA page which will explain whether you need to worry or not. In most cases you dont need to worry.

I assume you're new to firewalls, or new to ZA anyway. Its normal to be paranoid for the first few days till you get accustomed to the firewall.

ZA is one of the (for me it is THE) best firewalls around. Rest assured.
Old 25th September 2006, 14:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend you to keep it. Zone is better than windows firewall as of XP service pack2. It gives u more options. TW, are u in a home or in a networked (as in LAN) environment?

Steeroid, I would say the opposite. Get all the alerts and then you can configure for what all things u need not get further alerts. (for example firefox trying to access internet, yahoo messenger acting as server, and a ping).
Old 25th September 2006, 14:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker
Steeroid, I would say the opposite. Get all the alerts and then you can configure for what all things u need not get further alerts. (for example firefox trying to access internet, yahoo messenger acting as server, and a ping).
You're talking about Program Access alerts - this is part of your initial setup and I agree that it is best to request every program to REQUEST access first.

However, unknown is talking about intrusion alerts and that is what I have suggested that he set at Medium.
Old 25th September 2006, 14:29   #7
Team-BHP Support

I do not use ZA because the free edition does not allow port forwarding(torrent etc.,).
So I prefer Kerio/Sygate etc.,

Once I get the router, I will ditch the firewall, as I will be having a hardware firewall which I can tweak to my own settings.

On a side not, Zonealarm firewall has a problem with Windows XP SP2 on 64bit(OS is 32bit, processor is 64bit).
If you have zonealarm your comp will keep on rebooting.
Old 25th September 2006, 14:40   #8
BANNED

SkyWalker
Atm i'm using lan (Cable) .
Old 25th September 2006, 15:18   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
So I prefer Kerio/Sygate etc.,
Sygate personal firewall is feature rich - one can restrict based on IPs / Ports / Protocols / Incoming / and outgoing. However, it requires reasonable amount of familirarity on networking so as to create new rules. We have found this as the best suited for our organisation.

Sygate is now a symantec product and the Sygate personal firewall is not available any more.
Old 25th September 2006, 16:56   #10
aZa
Senior - BHPian

yep i've got sygate too ! I find zonealarm too showy with popups and all.
Old 25th September 2006, 18:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

i find ZA pretty helpful. I have turned off the alerts for external intrusions, silently killing them. I don't face any problems after that and hence i don't care.

it sometimes creates problems with VPN though, which is normal for any firewall.

keep in mind, more the options and features, more ur computer is at risk of a loophole and problms. I like the old school methods when it comes to safety and security.
Old 25th September 2006, 18:23   #12
BHPian

hey your computer is completely safe don't worry ... tellin you this as a user of Zonealarm,
hit the don't show alerts check box ... or intrusion alerts might keep you annoying ...
Old 25th September 2006, 18:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
i find ZA pretty helpful. I have turned off the alerts for external intrusions, silently killing them. I don't face any problems after that and hence i don't care.
I agree - you have the flexibility to turn the alerts ON, OFF or Selectively OFF depending on threat level. Nothing gets better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
it sometimes creates problems with VPN though, which is normal for any firewall.
Turn your firewall off, connect to VPN, then turn the firewall on. It will detect the new network and present it to you for Zone Selection - select Trusted Network and set up preferences to allow full access to Trusted Network. You wont have problems anymore - connects well enough for me (Cisco VPN Client Ver. 4.8.xxx.xxxx)
Old 25th September 2006, 18:43   #14
BANNED

Btw the ip zone alarm show's that's access my pc that is 4 no next to my ip :(
Old 25th September 2006, 18:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown
Btw the ip zone alarm show's that's access my pc that is 4 no next to my ip :(
Did you try what I suggested in Post #4? What did the advisory say?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks