Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2006, 16:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Who are they?

This is the second time i have spotted this cavalcade on Delhi roads. The first time i just dismissed it as a VIP cavalcade, but yesterday when i saw it again i didnt notice any VIP in it...

Its a cavalcade of 5-6 TATA Safari Petrol cars. Yes Petrol Safaris with "16 V DOHC" stickers on them. There are no spare wheels. Instead there are three lights (red, green, yellow) blinking alternately right in the place where spare wheel is attached. The leading Safari has some Antennas/Transreceivers kind of thing mounted on roof and sides.

Here are some pics (notice the lights at the back):

And here is the lead Safari with Antennas:

Delhi members any idea?
Old 29th October 2006, 16:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Instead there are three lights (red, green, yellow) blinking alternately right in the place where spare wheel is attached. The leading Safari has some Antennas/Transreceivers kind of thing mounted on roof and sides.
Must be some convoy ferrying around a dilli-billi discreetly. And antennas mounted on roof and sides could be indicative of some jammer for IED's. Those type of vehicles are usually used for Kashmiri politicians like Omar and Farooq Abdullah.

May be they are on a visit to Delhi and you caught their convoy.
Old 29th October 2006, 16:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Dceite - It is indeed a VVIP convoy which is signified with the Jammer Safari which jams signals to explode bombs via remote devices etc. This car runs with the convoy for not only Kashmiri politicans but for all people with a high-security risk. Examples being the PM, President, LK Advani, AB vajpayee etc.

Secondly, the trio of lights on the back is a feature of VVIP security cars as I've seen a lot of Bullet-Proof Ambassadors running upsize Michelin/Pirelli tyres with the same light cluster at the back. Not sure what their exact use is but do know that they aren't fitted to normal security cars.
Old 29th October 2006, 17:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

The blinking lights on the rear are to warn the cars travelling behind in the convoy in case of emergency and adopt the precautionary drill.

For eg if the Jammer gets activated then the lights will probably flash 3 red ones.

In case of a traffic jam ahead 2 yellow will be flashed.
Old 30th October 2006, 09:27   #5
BHPian

@ Dceite: as mentioined by iraghava, this certainly is the radar jamming vehicle, until a couple of years back (& even now sometimes) the jamming vehicle were our trusty ambassadors with two long black poles almost 8-10' long on each side of the rear bumper.

wud suggest keep away from these vehicles & especially not shoot them with ur cameras. if noticed you can be booked or even grilled, since its for high end security.
Old 30th October 2006, 09:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker
The blinking lights on the rear are to warn the cars travelling behind in the convoy in case of emergency and adopt the precautionary drill.

For eg if the Jammer gets activated then the lights will probably flash 3 red ones.

In case of a traffic jam ahead 2 yellow will be flashed.

Actually, the lights are for an entirely different purpose and was told to me by a friend who works with the NSG.

there are 3 lights in these vehicles- green, yellow(amber) and red. while teh accelerator of the vehicle is pressed, teh green light glows. when you release the accelrator butdont touch the brake, the yellow light glows and if you brake, teh red light glows.

Aparently, these lights are there so that the drivers of these convoy cars can coordinate their speeds and responses!
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2006, 10:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wow, this is interesting! I saw ONE of these vehicles yesterday in the Chanakyapuri area - from a distance I assumed that the guy had rammed the spare wheel cover etc while reversing! Saw it from the side at a distance so didn't notice the lights lol
Old 30th October 2006, 11:18   #8
BHPian

these are "pilot" cars for the VVIPs car convoy & its equipped with HF jammer

Also ..you can see a grip handle on the B pillar ...thats for SPG guards to hold while standing outside on the footboard, while the VVIP is going slow

Cant say anything aboy lights..I assume it to be providing some kind of signal to the driver of VVIP car...either to speed up or maintain a distance

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks