Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2006, 17:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Actually, I am in a dilemna now on what to do about my license plates.

My Baleno came with stock plates given by the dealer, which I found out, were made with the worst metal that you could find, given the fact that it started rusting after just a few months. Since the rust could spread to the body (rear plates), I decided to dump them and go for a nice pair of plastic plates.

Based on the reference from a fellow bhp-ian (GTS) who had one made for his new Baleno, I went to a shop on G.P.Road, which had all sorts of fonts adorning the shop. I selected a very simple, no frills font. My only condition was that it conform to the official lettering size (at that time, I was not aware of the exact official specs). The guy said the plates they make conform to the specs. A day later, I happily collected the new plates, which I am using for the past 1.5 months.

However, after reading the news article, I find that my plate would not meet the specs fully. The spacing part would be sort of OK. But the letter/numeral width and height, though not very small, is still a bit less than what is specified. I don't want to be flagged by the cops and I feel cheated by the guy. I am planning to take it back to him and get it done as per the specs.

Hey GTS, what size is the font on your plates ? Does it meet the specs ?
@ SB & all chennai T-BHPians... there is a place called SIgns India in Nandanam who make number plates from ages & they make them exactly what the RTO wants & in decent shapes & sizes. They are going to be authorised Number Plate makers for chennai city when the high security plates come. now they have changed their name to something else. will get back with the details though. cost me 450 bucks for a set, which was absolutely worth it.

@n_aditya : your car is KA or TN ?

Last edited by esteem_lover : 6th November 2006 at 17:05.
Old 6th December 2006, 22:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, like esteemlover says, Signs India at Nandanam makes decent and standard sign boards that meet the RTO requirements and also most of the car dealers get give their orders there..But I think this medley will end only if the much hyped high security plates that have been talked about for ages, are brought out. I think we can emulate the US here. I registered my car a month back and got the plates at the Drivers Licence Bureau (akin to our RTO) then and there. No hassles..
Old 7th December 2006, 21:07   #18
GTS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Based on the reference from a fellow bhp-ian (GTS) who had one made for his new Baleno

Hey GTS, what size is the font on your plates ? Does it meet the specs ?
So, I got you in trouble?

My plates dont meet the specs, but then I am not bothered, coz as Danlalala suggested, its just a phase when the cops wake up and then go off to sleep! Besides, the places and the time that I take out my car, the cops would be in a very comatose state. But I do have the dealer written plates which conform to specs in the boot, so I might flash it a la Vivek (the comedian) whenever the need arises!

Rgds
GTS
Old 7th December 2006, 21:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

still strutting around with those thin font plates and no cops on the horizon to stop me...well so we thought ok maybe the cops think its on the legal side..so we decide to take it a step further with the MAFIA plate....and guess what we slipped through all signals without the cops noticing...

Old 8th December 2006, 13:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS
So, I got you in trouble?
Not really, GTS. Because I had anyway decided to go for plastic plates. You just directed me to a shop. If not for that, I would have anyway gone to another shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS
My plates dont meet the specs, but then I am not bothered, coz as Danlalala suggested, its just a phase when the cops wake up and then go off to sleep!
Actually, post-Nov15, these guys have been very actively fining motorists for not having legal plates - keep seeing them at signals/junctions challan-ing people. Today's newspaper also mentions around 1000 cases filed since Nov15th.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks