Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2006, 00:39   #1

Chances of finding a job?

Hello everyone i am new to teamBHP. I recently graduated from Kings college, University of London in Computer Science with a 2:1 classification. I have been living in London since the age of 12 but i want to live in India. I just wanted to ask you guys if i would be able to find a decent job as in IT consultant preferably in India? I have 1 year of work experience working as a business analysts for a local company in London. I ask this question because one guy told me he wouldnt recruit a british graduate simply because they do not work as hard as their peers in india.
Old 6th November 2006, 09:50   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2006
. I ask this question because one guy told me he wouldnt recruit a british graduate simply because they do not work as hard as their peers in india.
Take your time on this. Get about three years experience and then look around unless you are in a bad situation. there is no such perception except in some small firms. but remember working culture is different, one needs to follow up and push to get things done and not expect things to merely happen
Old 6th November 2006, 12:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

WHile I am not completely answering your question, the biggest problem you will face is not finding a job but meet your expectations.
Old 7th November 2006, 03:39   #4

Anyone else that could give me some advice, especially if you are in the IT field yourself?
Old 7th November 2006, 09:55   #5
BHPian

Get 3 years of experience minimum with add on certifications in your consulting field.
If yours is a 3yr degree you wont even be treated at par with basic ENGG. graduates from indian institutes.
There is a long way to go in terms of getting exposure and strong qualification credentials before coming down to India and getting a job.

Your current qualification and experience just isnt good enough to cut a meaty satifying job.

I work in IT, Ive worked for quite a few IT BigWigs in India.
The reason why I mentioned is I recently joined a BRIT company to manage their global IT Operations. Ive seen first hand the differences in Work Culture and how fast the Indian Market is.
I am taking over from some one with 13 years of experience in the UK , i dont have even half of that. Its tougher and sharper in India, so i suggest get experience and specialize into a domain in IT, IT itself is too vast. Once u have a niche specialization, somme add certns. to boot and a good 4-6 years of experience, you can give the Indian Job Market a shot.
That would be my advice.
Cheers.
AB
Old 7th November 2006, 21:27   #6

Well i dont entirely agree with you abhishek. This is because i know for a fact that infosys is recruiting fresh graduates who hold a bachelors degree in uk, so how can you say i wont be treated at par with basic eng. graduates? lol. Also if all those graduates from private colleges like NIIT can get a job, how dont i have ANY chance of finding a decent job, considering that are not even of the same calibre?
Old 7th November 2006, 22:14   #7

What company did you join? and also the comment you made about not being treated on par, why is this? I beleive companies only want a bsc degree and wouldnt the calibre of a student be also taken into account, considering that i went to one of the best universities in the world, which is better than every institution in india except IIT.
Old 8th November 2006, 10:08   #8
Team-BHP Support

V2006 - abhishek summed things up well

Quote:
Well i dont entirely agree with you abhishek. This is because i know for a fact that infosys is recruiting fresh graduates who hold a bachelors degree in uk, so how can you say i wont be treated at par with basic eng. graduates?
They are but they are looking at people who have training potential and also due to tightening imigration and visa rules, they need to develop local talent. People with indian degrees are usually given more priority as they have stonger theoratical skills

Quote:
What company did you join? and also the comment you made about not being treated on par, why is this? I beleive companies only want a bsc degree and wouldnt the calibre of a student be also taken into account, considering that i went to one of the best universities in the world, which is better than every institution in india except IIT

King college is good but ain't one of the best. The guys I recruit from IIT etc knock the socks of other folks from "phoren" in terms of grasping technology prinicples etc - and I am talking hi end chip design.

BTW - the Empire is long dead, I recommend that you leave that little island and see the world especially after you complete 3 years of decent experience.

Let me add that I am a citizen of tha little island and had a similar attitude - people here know a hell of a lot and want to know more beyond last week's football league scores. Keep your head down and move when the time is right
Old 8th November 2006, 13:30   #9

Right, If indian graduates are that good why is only IIT in the top 100 uni's of the world? I beleive it is in teh top 100, specifically 55 because it produces high quality graduates. But Also Kings was ranked 46th this year so it cant be all that bad eh? Anyway how would a company see more potential in a person who has a degree from a college like NIIT compared with someone who has had to go through several selection stages to get on the course, like me, where i had to pass screening, go to an interview, have lots of extra cirriculars AND get my grades which were straight A's (Didnt get into imperial for some reason but thats going of the point).

Also i was wondering how an Msc in management from a top business school is regarded there compared with an MBA?

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th April 2008 at 00:37. Reason: merged
Old 8th November 2006, 18:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

v2006, you have already mentioned that Infosys or some other is recruiting from UK. So why don't you give it a shot if you haven't done so already. There is no need to be a doubting thomas ... you will only know how deep it is if you actually step into the water. So I suggest you stop being 'overcautious' and go right ahead.

And as for Indian skill sets in IT and elsewhere, there are fields in which we are strong ... and there are fields in which we sorely lack. From what I heard IT wallas, after 2 to 3 years of pure hands on experience graduate into Managerial positions which dents and blunts their core expertise. And the fresher graduates who come to replace are generally not as good as the ones they replaced.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks