Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2017, 14:32   #1
BHPian

Setting up a sound system for a club?

Hi Bhpians!
I am opening up a micro brewery in Kolkata in a couple of months and it would be of great help if the audiophiles from the forum could help me in deciding a sound for my place .
The carpet area of the place is around 4000 sq feet located in 13th floor . We are planning to build a glass ceiling and glass walls with 16ft of height .
The sound system which I have shortlisted till now are .
Yamaha DBR12 or DBR15 powered speakers .
I haven't thought of anything else . Mackie was also an option but I liked the clarity and depth of Yamaha . I have only heard the DBR15 .
Please help me choose suitable mixer and other equipments. Any other speaker would also not be an issue .
Also is there a way to soundproof using glass or other materials .
I am a total newbie in this .
Old 13th August 2017, 16:38   #2
BHPian

Just one input, check out Turbo Sound speakers as well, they're really good from what I've experienced. Have had people opting for those over any and recommending those.
Also, for the crossovers you could check out Lake. I'm not into this, but someone I know who set up something similar gave me a lot of information on how these are bad boys!
Old 13th August 2017, 17:06   #3
BHPian

re: Setting up a sound system for a club?

Hi Petroheadd.. A good starting point would be to figure out what the application would be like:

- A system just for music playback (off a PC or some other source)
- Music playback courtesy an in house D.J.
- A system that could handle a band on certain nights and a D.J. as well
- And lastly what kind of volume levels your looking at in your brew pub

Once this has been figured out, it would help in designing the system. Glass tends to be a major reflector of sound and so may not help as far as the sound goes. Since am sure it’s been chosen from an aesthetic angle, would be good to run the issue of acoustics past your project architect/ interior designer for some ways to counter the possible excessive reflective issue you’d face courtesy having glass.

Most bars/ clubs tend to just throw in an audio system into a space without acoustically treating it and then they’d be wondering why it still sounds average. The places that do spend on acoustics tend to enjoy better audio clarity and thereby a better customer experience on the whole. Even if your well underway as far as your interiors go, there are a numbers of ways to deal with the acoustic situation.

As far as brands go, I would suggest looking for a brand that offers good support even post sales, so that you have a good go-to option in case you face any issues somewhere down the road. Based on this i strongly recommend a Spanish brand called D.A.S. that’s widely available here in India thru a dealer network. Sturdy products made in Spain and great local support as well.

Turbosound as suggested in a previous post is also a great brand but bound to be pricier & one needs to check on the whole support issue.

Hope this helps....
Old 13th August 2017, 19:37   #4
BHPian

Hi thanks for your reply guys .
Major use would be for bands and live performances , occassionally used by DJS. Major Source of music would usually be a console Pioneer Nexus 2000 or a Mac Book PC .

I would love the sound to be clear and deep , not very very bright and voulmes would be set on a conversationable level .

Turbo Sound interested me as well , however was not able to find Kolkata so was little concerned about after sales , also was not getting a chance to listen to them here before placing the order . Yamaha offered 7 years warranty therefore had initially decided for that . I will try and search other cities for Turbo Sound.
Old 13th August 2017, 20:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would also like to stress that as auxsend mentioned, acoustics play a HUGE role in how everything sounds and you definitely need to look into that. Unfortunately I am not an expert on this matter so I cannot help, but as someone who appreciates great sound, I can tell you that acoustics make a huge difference to the listening experience and especially since you are using so much glass, you need to have it looked into.
Old 13th August 2017, 20:54   #6
BHPian

You might try Sonodyne Pro. They are from Kolkata with vast experience in quality products and installs; indoors and outdoors! They are partnered with Australian Monitor and many others.

http://sonodyne.com/professional-21.html

Not associated with the company.
Old 14th August 2017, 17:09   #7
Team-BHP Support

Re: Setting up a sound system for a club?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroheadd View Post
I am opening up a micro brewery in Kolkata
The carpet area of the place is around 4000 sq feet located in 13th floor . We are planning to build a glass ceiling and glass walls with 16ft of height .

Yamaha DBR12 or DBR15 powered speakers. Mackie was also an option but I liked the clarity and depth of Yamaha. I have only heard the DBR15.
Please help me choose suitable mixer and other equipments. Any other speaker would also not be an issue.
Also is there a way to soundproof using glass or other materials .
I am a total newbie in this .
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroheadd View Post
Turbo Sound interested me as well , however was not able to find Kolkata so was little concerned about after sales , also was not getting a chance to listen to them here before placing the order . Yamaha offered 7 years warranty therefore had initially decided for that . I will try and search other cities for Turbo Sound.
Petroheadd,

1. Glass (as has been mentioned before) is a poor surface when it comes to sound. It is resonant, hard and reflective all features you do not wish to have in ANY audio install. If you still want to use glass for aesthetic reasons you will have to consider all the challenges glass creates. The bigger the panels the bigger the challenge.

2. The DBR and DXR series from Yamaha is more suited for Live Arena sound. Please consult a good audio consultant in Kolkutta because I can see from your posts that you do not have enough good guidance. If you happen to find yourself in Singapore and are still interested in Yamaha I can help. I have no commercial or any other interest in Yamaha or any audio brand.

3. Your audio consultant should build an integrated package for you. A good place to start is to talk to Anindya Mukherjee of Sonodyne. He a young man (2nd generation at Sonodyne) with a wealth of experience in audio. See this video from 2014.

4. Beyond Mackie (I assume you heard the Thump series) and Yamaha you realy need to look at EV (Electo-Voice), Peavey, QSC, RCF, etc. Most of these have representatives in Mumbai (I do not know about Kolkutta). I would get myself a copy of the past issues of PALM magazine (I throw my copies away so don't have any around) and familiarize myself with the brands available and their dealers.

5. Lastly do not just look at paper specifications on RMS power, coverage angles, etc. Listen to the product. If the dealer does not have the product or has not installed the product before ignore it, move on, there are enough options from the ones already in the market (again I only know the Mumbai market not Kolkutta).

OT: I am a big fan of RCF but please do not go my taste or recommendations alone. Check this link out. Dev sells other brands too. You need someone like them in Kolkutta. http://www.develectronics.com/rcf-active-speaker

Hope this helps.

Most Viewed