Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2017, 18:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Dera verdict riots in NCR, Punjab & Haryana - Stay safe!

Dear all,

Lets use this thread to update on the status of situation in NCR and Punjab/Haryana with respect to Dera chief's conviction.

Section 144 has been applied in Noida, Punchkula and some parts of UP.

Stay safe.

Last edited by DCEite : 25th August 2017 at 18:39.
Old 25th August 2017, 20:14   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Dera verdict riots in NCR, Punjab & Haryana - Stay safe!

Did not see anything in Noida on the eway till sector 100,though traffic was heavier than usual for those heading towards okhla kalindi kunj turn off at mahamaya
Old 26th August 2017, 00:09   #3
A M
BHPian

Safe here in Panchkula. But disappointed with the govt and the administration.

Why on earth were so many people allowed to gather in the first place when section 144 was in place? Why did the administration not do anything for last 4-5 days when so many people were already on the roads and taking shelter in Parks? Everybody in the city but the administration knew that things are going to turn ugly if the court verdict is against the dera chief. It was pure terrorism on the streets.
Old 26th August 2017, 00:11   #4
Team-BHP Support

Please avoid discussions on the political situation, focus only the road safety issues. - Support Team
Old 26th August 2017, 01:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Sectors adjoining Mohali with Chandigarh- Pumps closed and so were the ATMs around 7:30pm. Presence of security forces on borders with mild traffic and no signs of violence.
Old 26th August 2017, 02:43   #6
BHPian

How's the road condition from Delhi to meerut with respect to this unrest. Have to pick up my sister from the airport at 11 am and then proceed to Meerut right away. Section 144 has been imposed in the districts I would be traversing including Ghaziabad meerut and even Delhi. Will it have any impact on the road or the journey? Any pointers will be highly appreciated.
Old 26th August 2017, 08:13   #7
BHPian

Safe here in Chandigarh. Hospitals are overburdened. Roads nearly empty. On the way to work today I could see a lot police jeeps and buses. Other than that it's business as usual.
Old 26th August 2017, 08:59   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Can any one in the know guide me on the safety of driving from north Delhi down the Delhi-Chandigarh highway up to Sonepat. My grown up daughter needed to do this run today to Ashoka University and understandably as a concerned father I have clamped curfew on her! Our plan is to wait and see how things are on Sunday and then maybe even Monday. Any eye witness inputs will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
How's the road condition from Delhi to meerut with respect to this unrest. Have to pick up my sister from the airport at 11 am and then proceed to Meerut right away. Section 144 has been imposed in the districts I would be traversing including Ghaziabad meerut and even Delhi.
I know that up to Ghaziabad you are good to go. Last night my niece was dropped to a destination in Ghaziabad just off the Delhi border. The stretch from G to M I don't have any first hand information on.

Last edited by GTO : 28th August 2017 at 09:30. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 26th August 2017, 09:14   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
north Delhi down the Delhi-Chandigarh highway up to Sonepat
Should be ok as a lot of people are using NH1 including known ones but most likely colleges/universities will be closed on Monday. Things can change very fast so unless something is very important, better avoid.

Quote:
Delhi to meerut with respect to this unrest.
There were some small incidents at Ghaziabad yesterday but were contained.
Old 26th August 2017, 09:50   #10
BHPian

Avoid coming to or moving out of this hitherto very peaceful city of Panchkula. City limping back but normalcy will take another 2-3 days. Cops crawling all over. They have suddenly become over active, now that that all the damage is done.
Old 26th August 2017, 11:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkr15 View Post
Avoid coming to or moving out of this hitherto very peaceful city of Panchkula. City limping back but normalcy will take another 2-3 days. Cops crawling all over. They have suddenly become over active, now that that all the damage is done.
On Monday when the sentence duration is announced, i fear there would be another spike in clashes.

Better to avoid weekend travels within city, and limit to working from home next week.
Old 26th August 2017, 12:57   #12
Team-BHP Support

Facebook update of a friend who was riding back from Leh:

Quote:
Through the eye of the storm *update*: Just reached home in Gurgaon, via Mandi (started yesterday from Manali) » Chandigarh (bypass) » Ambala » Panipat...etc to Delhi (NH1 - now called NH44)

Almost zero traffic both yesterday and today.
Police were super-helpful and said keep going, highway is all clear. Every NH44 exit and crossing was manned substantially. Spare a thought for the cops, almost all had been on-duty for more than 36 hrs straight since Thursday.

Punjab police kept waving me on yesterday at every check-post, and recommended continuing towards Delhi rather than detour towards Nalagarh. (All trucks seemed to be diverted towards Nalagarh » Baddi).

Same with Haryana police.

Stopped overnight after crossing Ambala. Roared home astride the Hippo this morning. 250-odd km in 3 hrs #ftw.
Sms was working intermittently for me in Punjab as well as Haryana yesterday (but not today, till Delhi border). No data though of course.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks