Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2006, 18:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Spotted Super-star Libra.

Was on my way to alibaug last weekend..caught the 2:00 boat off GATE OF INDIA...went to alibaug...chilled and stuff and was coming back on a hot sunday afternoon..clickin pictures of carriers, oil tankers and then we hear this LOUD LOUD ship horn..i though that...this guys way behind so before our small little boat zips aways i clicked a pic or so..next thing..my boats engine goes into reverse and comes to a hault..we idle and wait and the SUPERSTAR LIBRA just zips past us...

here are some pics...

Old 9th December 2006, 21:24   #2
BHPian

Have not heard much about it, the pictures look great though. Is it a famous cruiser or what is it ?
Old 9th December 2006, 21:28   #3
BHPian

Good ship-spotting !

Good photos Dan!

Nice change to see snaps of ships being put up here!

These Cruise Ships operate from Singapore. Think she can hit about 22 kts at Full Sea Speed, though must have not being doing more than 10 Kts or so by looking at her screw wash. Would that estimate be correct Dan?

Cruise ships are becoming increasingly popular in India too and certainly do make nice holidays. Check out their site Superstar Libra, Super Star Libra Cruise, Star Libra Cruises, Superstar Libra Cruises, Star Libra for more information
Old 9th December 2006, 22:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice Pics.. Thanks For Sharing..

Click Here.

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.
Old 9th December 2006, 22:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Superstar Virgo

Hey,

Infact, thanks to family, I had the opportunity to spend a couple of days/nights on the Superstar Virgo .. I think it was in Jan 2003 .. she's the biggest of the three Superstar's .. 13 floors if I remember correctly .. about 8 were open to all and the lower ones for the crew etc . ..

These pictures brought back fond memories .. the inside of the Virgo is like a 5-star Hotel .. with restaurant, bars, an auditorium (where i also saw a ooh la la cabaret with REAL naked women), gym, swimming pool, lifts etc. When you stand on the deck and look at the passing ships, they used to look so tiny in comparison ..

I don't know the technical terms .. perhaps Captain Sa'ab will tell us more abt it .. but Cruise ships are designed for minimum roll etc .. when inside you ABSOLUTELY CANNOT feel that its even moving .. its so steady and quiet .. the moment you step out .. it's incredibly fast and windy ..

Here are a couple of pics I dished out ..

The Virgo off the cost of Thailand -- the biggest one real faraway ..

Am seen here with sis and dad .. those small boats you see hanging from the sides are the lifeboats that are filled with passengers and then dropped into the sea (in case the cruise ship goes the Titanic way)

That's the pool ..

And that's the topmost deck from where you can tee off into the sea .. nice place to practice .. but can't really retrieve the *****

Regards.
Old 9th December 2006, 22:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
And that's the topmost deck from where you can tee off into the sea .. nice place to practice .. but can't really retrieve the *****
Just noticed that I got censored there .. was simply talking abt one's inability to retrieve golf b@lls from the sea after a round of practice ..
Old 10th December 2006, 00:06   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Superstar Libra

In early 2006 our work team went for a cruise on the Libra. It was a tough assignment, but someone had to do it.
Here are some pictures you might enjoy.

Some of you might recognise your favourite car audio installers here too.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 10th December 2006 at 00:12.
Old 10th December 2006, 00:07   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 10th December 2006 at 00:10.
Old 10th December 2006, 00:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Pings View Post
Good photos Dan!

Nice change to see snaps of ships being put up here!

These Cruise Ships operate from Singapore. Think she can hit about 22 kts at Full Sea Speed, though must have not being doing more than 10 Kts or so by looking at her screw wash. Would that estimate be correct Dan?

Cruise ships are becoming increasingly popular in India too and certainly do make nice holidays. Check out their site Superstar Libra, Super Star Libra Cruise, Star Libra Cruises, Superstar Libra Cruises, Star Libra for more information
hey captain, well your right she must have been doing 10knots..but she wizz passed us pretty fast..thanks for the info on the cruise.

shall upload videos soon.
Old 10th December 2006, 00:16   #10
BANNED

Sam!! Hope Anwar is not going to strip you for posting his semi nude pics here!!

@Danlalan! Thanks for sharing the pics.
Old 10th December 2006, 01:24   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice pics...but the Virgo is huuuge !! I mean, when we went on the Virgo, next to it, the Superstar Aries was berthed and it was completely dwarfed by the Virgo...

I tried taking pics of the Virgo, but the damn thing was so big, it didnt fit in a single pic....
Old 10th December 2006, 07:30   #12
Team-BHP Support

Talking about big ships check out the Jahre Viking The longest ship sailing the seas.

Old 10th December 2006, 12:51   #13
BHPian

good pic moral fibre not only is she the longest, but also the largest, i.e., she displaces 647,955 MT of Sea water at her summer marks! Here's the full low down on her at Knock Nevis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Largest I ever sailed was a Ship called the Nissei Maru, she was the pride of Japan at that time and at 25 years old was still better than many new ships! Thats the ship in the thumbnail on the left and her details are in my signature!

Fyi, the Knock Nevis ( better known by her previous name the Jahre Viking) is now sitting as a storage tanker in the Al-Shaheen Oil Field off Qatar! Her sailing days are over :(
Old 10th December 2006, 13:48   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Pings View Post
Fyi, the Knock Nevis ( better known by her previous name the Jahre Viking) is now sitting as a storage tanker in the Al-Shaheen Oil Field off Qatar! Her sailing days are over :(
Yes it does stand as a storage tanker. It used to be in Fujairah as a storage tanker before this. "The Jahre Viking has a surprisingly small crew of 40. Apart from a few Russian junior officers, the officers, including her captain, are Indians." Source

Hopefully they don't scrap her. It is such a nice ship!
Old 10th December 2006, 19:26   #15
BHPian

Yo Sammy, sala , you went on a cruise and never even told me about it. Shame on you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks