Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2006, 11:31   #1
ECM
BHPian

9th December,a day to remember for those who laid down their lives so we can breath

INS Khukri was sunk by a Pakistani submarine, PNS Hangor, on the night of December 9. According to official history, the submarine fired two torpedoes at the ship, one of which went astray and the other hit it midship, causing it to sink within a few minutes. The submarine fired a third torpedo at INS Kuthar, but the ship maneuvered to avoid being hit and sailed off into the darkness.
“I was on the deck when the first torpedo hit the ship near the propeller, and the explosion threw me overboard," Gill said. "Thereafter, I saw a second torpedo hit the ship's middle, causing some ammunition to explode. The third torpedo hit the ships bow," he added. Ironically, the ship was hit when their was jubilation onboard about reports of another enemy submarine, PNS Ghazi being sunk by Indian warships on the eastern seaboard, being confirmed.
It was 33 years after the incident that he learnt on reading media reports that the official maintained the ship was sunk by a single torpedo, he said. During the period of hostilities, the ship had numerous contacts with submarines, but at the time of the incident, the ship was not on “action stations”, he added.
Gill, now 54, had been posted onboard the Khukri in August, 1971. He joined the Navy after doing his pre-engineering from Calcutta and then underwent four years training in Naval architecture and ship construction. He served the Navy for 10 years and thereafter worked as a project manager for a ship-building firm in Holland and then at a sugar mill in Sudan.
The Khukri, along with her sister ships Kirpan and Kuthar had returned to Bombay on December 6, after providing cover to missile boats during their daring attack on Karachi. En route Khukri, an anti-submarine frigate, made an attack on a submarine. After a day in harbour for replenishment, briefings and liaison, Khukri sailed off with Kuthar on December 8. Among other things discussed in Bombay was the presence of the US Seventh Fleet in the Indian Ocean.
Gill recalled that while he was on a life raft, a submarine surfaced a few hundred yards away and flashed a searchlight at the sinking ship before submerging again. It was only the next day that Kuthar returned, along with other ships, to pick up survivors, he added. Just six officers and 61 sailors survived. True to the Navy's tradition, Khukri's Commanding Officer, Capt Mahender Mulla, who was on the bridge when the sip was struck, refused to abandon his ship and remained seated in the captain's chair on the bridge till the ship disappeared beneath the dark waters with 18 officers and 178 sailors still onboard. For this, he was decorated with the Maha Vir Chakra.

-----------------
see this place satellite view is here INS Khukri Memorial, Diu
Below snaps were taken when I visited it(DIU) October before Diwali and I must say that this place located at natural beach in Diu and it is so peaceful that every Indian must visit this place once in his life and pay homage to those who sacrificed their lives for sake of us.Glory of India is not in sensex touching 14000 but in those who die for us so we can live.Jay Jawan,dil se Bolo----> "Vande Mataram".

And the last image will give you how good the beach is which is just below this Khukri Memorial.

Last edited by ECM : 10th December 2006 at 11:34.
Old 10th December 2006, 11:58   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice topic brought up...reminded me of an article I read on rediff...

http://search1.rediff.com/dirsrch/sr...q=ins%20khukri

But yeah..... The saddest part of our country is that the soldiers who lay down their loves for our peace of mind are forgotten...how many people here can name 2 heroes of the KArgil war ??

Even me..... I can hardly name 2 people....pretty sad..... The media do not focus enough on all this.

And for what do they lay down their lives ?? For our politicians to continue to ruin our country..... really really sad....
Old 11th December 2006, 07:26   #3
ECM
BHPian

Honestly when I posted this article I knew not much interest will generate among people,it is like bollywood where producers make films on sellable stories,now this is not a sellable story for Indians in General!!
Why to spend a time on those who are dead??????????????????????????????Media too never cover such stories bcoz woh bikta nahi hai market me!!Am I right?I feel sorry to say but this is the current senario of our society,shame on this to be honest.
Old 11th December 2006, 20:17   #4
BHPian

Nice post ECM

I live in a family which has many members who have seen wars. I lost a close friend in Kargil. Vijayant Thapar's parents live in my lane. Posts like these play an important role in keeping the Eternal flame burning forever.

Thank you ECM.
Old 11th December 2006, 20:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good atleast somebody remembers...good going ECM.

My condolances to the families of the souls lost not only on that day, but to all those warriors who have laid down their lives fighting for our country.

May their souls rest in peace.

Amen.
Old 12th December 2006, 09:02   #6
ECM
BHPian

Thanks Nikhil-Captain and Dear Drifter for chipping in,Captain it is sad to know you lost one of your good friend in Kargil war,it is always a pain to lose someone who is close to our heart, may his soul rest in a peace but what I observed is our souls are resting in pieces when such matter is being raised.India is a country where majority of its citizen is in the age group of 18-30 and the way they are shaping up I feel they gonna sure to face severe problems in future.All are dreaming to become rich and famous-no harm in seeing dreams though but without doing any concrete efforts this going to pay them hard in next days/weeks/months to come!(New generation is busy in exchanging mobile ring tones--LOL)Soldiers are those who are true Indians and have a buring desire to do something for our country,if our blood errupts to see dhotiwalaz(politicians)doing all kind of corruptions etc...just imagine what soldiers are thinking in their minds for them?We hardly do anything for our society I accpet but our Jawans are betting on their lives for us,atleast We the ordinary citizens should see that our Jawans should get what they deserve to do,Period.
Old 12th December 2006, 18:12   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I see army people and my heat goes out to them.... they give their loves for the countru but what do they get in return ?? Even after retirement, a sub-standard life..... hardly any jobs for them......

And I read recently that the armed forces want to start recruiting more Urban youth because not enough of them are signing up. I mean, that shouldnt come as a surprise should it ??

The armed forces need to overhaul their system if they need more people to join. In today's moneyed world, why will anyone join the army ??
Old 12th December 2006, 21:50   #8
ECM
BHPian

Very well said Nikhil and that is the second side of the coin,go and ask any youngster by giving him choices to become either neta or jawan,you know majority will say what!!I value your thoughts,keep them comming mate.
Old 12th December 2006, 22:53   #9
Team-BHP Support

Career in Indian military doesn't give much chance at a secondary career. Not everybody is a career military person, if one could serve for 5/10/15/20 years and move on to another career, and if the time in the military train you for that next career, military does become an attractive option. Military needs lots of people at lower ranks, but very few at higher ranks. Short service commissions are the best way to achieve that.

However, the culture and employment market in our country is such that, most people are forced to pick a career right out of school. Very few can ever make a career change after 30. None of the government jobs are open to people above 28, even the private sector is no better. Here I am referring to people who are trying to switch careers, say from military to civil life.

Youngsters may want to experience the army for 5-6 years before getting married and settling down into a civilian career. What are the options? Don't tell me private security services, rent-a-cop job is not for everybody. In USA, lots of police personnel are former military, they are highly preferred by Police departments since they are trained very well. Can a former Captain/Major join police department as Circle inspector? Can a Colonel become police commissioner after 20 years of military service? In America they can, in India no way. My mom's brother after serving 20 years in IAF, became a bank clerk. He was a signals technician.

If short term military career can pave the way to attractive secondary career options, I am sure lots of patriotic youngsters would consider military careers seriously. Does Indian military allow completing higher education? Say doing a MBA/MS/PhD or profession degrees while serving in front, so that they can look forward to a bright civilian career when they complete their military term.
Old 12th December 2006, 23:12   #10
ECM
BHPian

Excellent points raised by you dear Samurai and honestly few of them I never thought of,will take a real long thinking as your points are indeed very calculative as far as "Does Indian military allow completing higher education?"Goes.But when our millitary server in some flood effected areas etc...our govt.atleast think of recruiting some techical qualified staff like engineers etc..for some jobs like this.But all in all this requires lot of thinking and I fully agree on your points of view,thanks so much Samurai.
Old 12th December 2006, 23:21   #11
Team-BHP Support

something that i should have known and had no clue about, thanks ecm and others.

manson.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks