Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2018, 21:58   #1
BHPian

The Hearing Aid Thread

I searched the forum and there is no specific thread which discusses about the hearing aids and related ear problems, which I thought is required given the information available on the web is mostly company/marketing oriented.

I came across an Advert last week on the Starkey hearing aids which are being sold at heavily discounted prices compared to their MRPs/tag prices and was wondering on why the company is selling at such discounted prices.

In fact in the past years I have personally never come across a single person using Starkey hearing aids and have found many people using Widex and Siemens (now Sivantos) hearing aids.

So, I request any BHPin knowing information about the Starkey aids as in how's the company/technology/support if I opt for these.

PS - I am currently using the Widex aid for the past 4 to 5 years and didn't find any problems as such, but it's only a upgrade I am trying to do now from ITC to CIC aids.

Attaching the advert from Starkey

The Hearing Aid Thread-img20180715wa0000.jpg

Also quoting a post from the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Starkey India is giving away some offers. Their Rs 3.2 lacs costing model is given at Rs 49k. I went to their center and its true, not a gimmick.

Has anyone tried it? The offer is upto 31 March.

Seems to good to be true. But then HA process are known to be marked up with unimaginable margins.

I enquired about trial period and they offered to give a trial period of one week provided we give them a post dated cheque.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 10:20   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Hearing Aid Thread

Here is one more thread with some useful posts - link.
Old 4th August 2018, 08:39   #3
BHPian

My mom has been using Starkey for more than five years. Decently good Machines.

Let me know if you need to know anything in particular.
Old 4th August 2018, 14:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD007 View Post
My mom has been using Starkey for more than five years. Decently good Machines.

Thanks KD007. I have been using Widex for almost 5 years now and I was now taking binorial aids and was checking out StarKey as they had big time offer going on.

I have ordered StarKeys top of the line IQ series aids and expecting it to be given by next week.
Old 4th August 2018, 21:18   #5
BHPian

I have started with Siemens analog HAs in early 2001.

In 2007, moved to Siemens digital HA (binaural). It was In the Ear (ITE) and served good for its price.

In 2011, went for Widex digital programmable model. It is Behind the Ear (BTE). It has two levels of program control. It is still with me and serves the purpose.

Early this year, fell for the Starkey ads and ordered their top of the line IQ series. Power BTE plus model that serves upto 120 db hearing loss. It is good one. Needs fine tuning over a period after usage. Noise cancellation is good. Clarity is better. Five levels of program control.

Starkey has lot of control algorithm for the audiologist to adjust. This can be a bane sometimes, as they are not always well trained to take advantage of all the features.

In the end, my final observation is HA technology is still very far behind. Even a basic feature like 'Hammer effect' is not available in most HAs.

This is partly because there are only a few manufacturers and they run in cartel. This is also one of the reason that prices are kept so artificially high.

This industry is a prime candidate for disruption by the likes of Google, Apple.
Old 6th August 2018, 17:33   #6
BHPian

Quote:

In 2007, moved to Siemens digital HA (binaural). It was In the Ear (ITE) and served good for its price.

In 2011, went for Widex digital programmable model. It is Behind the Ear (BTE). It has two levels of program control. It is still with me and serves the purpose.
Never know how the analog devices were. I am currently using Widex C220 ITC and it is holding good over 5 yrs now, its a 5 channel one, but don't know how many programmes it has.

Quote:
Early this year, fell for the Starkey ads and ordered their top of the line IQ series. Power BTE plus model that serves upto 120 db hearing loss. It is good one. Needs fine tuning over a period after usage. Noise cancellation is good. Clarity is better. Five levels of program control.

Starkey has lot of control algorithm for the audiologist to adjust. This can be a bane sometimes, as they are not always well trained to take advantage of all the features.
Thanks for you feedback, now I am sort of convinced before taking delivery of these which I have already ordered.

I am taking Muse IQ 2400 - ITC - binaural and also getting their Surflink Mobile2, which helps in connecting the devices through BT with Mobile and other BT devices. I was actually keen on their IIC range (completely invisible), however, StarKey mentioned they cannot make it for my canal size after the audiologist sent my impressions to their office at Noida.

Yes, the Audiologist mentioned it has 5 programs and he will set it properly based on my different usages.

Got a good deal (off-course company offer was their and I was able to get some more discount through the dealer on the entire purchase). Hoping it to serve well for 5 yrs at least.

Quote:
In the end, my final observation is HA technology is still very far behind. Even a basic feature like 'Hammer effect' is not available in most HAs.

This is partly because there are only a few manufacturers and they run in cartel. This is also one of the reason that prices are kept so artificially high.

This industry is a prime candidate for disruption by the likes of Google, Apple.
Completely agree with this. HA manufacturers are currently ripping the customers with lack of proper competition. Expecting some technological breakthrough on the devices and also good competition which should ultimately helps customers.

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 6th August 2018 at 17:36.
Old 10th August 2018, 09:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD007 View Post
Quote:
Guys, I see that both of your location is Bangalore. I am getting a mouth watering prices on the batteries (PowerOne make) and would be going to procure it tomorrow. You can PM me if you need, I can procure it for you.
Old 10th February 2021, 19:44   #8
BHPian

I am looking for a reliable and honest hearing clinic in Mumbai to get a hearing test done and consequently get a hearing aid. Any leads would be very helpful. Thank you.
Old 29th August 2021, 17:20   #9

This thread is inactive. Is there any other where we can ask recommendations for / discuss 'Hearing Aids'..?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks