Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2018, 10:12   #1
BHPian

What groups / societies are you a part of?

Backstory :-

Friend : Boss, tu jaldi CA banke Bangalore aa. It's very lonely out here at times.
Me : Why don't you join a group based on your interests for weekend activities? I guess, your city is chill that ways.
Friend : I don't know about anything.
Me : I'm on it.

I was traversing the net, but could not find an appropriate website, which handles all my queries, and filters groups based on personal preferences. I then searched here, but could not find any relevant thread.

The Question :-

What groups or societies are you a member of?

It'll be really interesting if the members could share the information, like the city, activity it's involved in, age-group, requirements, public/private groups.

We're all petrolheads , but I guess we could share information about our other interests and then help gain new insight.

To mods, please merge/delete thread, if irrelevant.
Old 6th August 2018, 11:57   #2
BHPian

re: What groups / societies are you a part of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post

The Question :-

What groups or societies are you a member of?

It'll be really interesting if the members could share the information, like the city, activity it's involved in, age-group, requirements, public/private groups.

We're all petrolheads , but I guess we could share information about our other interests and then help gain new insight.

To mods, please merge/delete thread, if irrelevant.
The biggest group I'm part of is the Team-bhp.
As we all share the common love it's easier to interact, meet-up and go for a drive.
And this group occupies a big chunk of my leisure time

Quick unplanned bhpians meet from last weekend

What groups / societies are you a part of?-screenshot_20180806113456.jpg

To ogle at fellow bhpian's revo tuned GT
What groups / societies are you a part of?-img_20180805_172607_899.jpg

As for the rest, it goes to a group called Classic Maruti Enthusiasts.
A bunch of like-minded people who love old Maruti cars.

What groups / societies are you a part of?-31944411_10155590728606395_2525340959303008256_o.jpg

My leisure time is pretty much 100% cars.

Last edited by johannskaria : 6th August 2018 at 11:59.
Old 6th August 2018, 13:41   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

When we lived in Delhi I was a member of the Royal Mavericks (Royal Enfield bikers club) and I attended just about any Delhi Bikers Breakfast Ride.

I also helped founding a bikers Club at work. The ERC. We rode at least once a month.

I was a member of a local photography society.

I belonged to two "round-table" societies (i.e. discussion/debate group). And of course, being expats, my wife and I were members of Delhi Network.

For a long time we were members of the American Club at the US embassy (until they had to throw out all the non-diplomatic members over the diplomatic row with the US at the time).

Whereever we found ourselves in the world I have always maintained all my memberships with various car clubs / society back in the Netherlands, the UK and the USA. I'm also still a member of various aviation/flying related clubs/societies in the USA. And my wife and I are long term members of the National Trust in the UK, wherever we go or live.

These days, with internet, skype etc it is so easy to stay in touch with everybody.

Lastly, but most importantly; from very early on, after having arrived in India I joined TeamBHP. Various members have been very supportive in helping us finding our way in Delhi/India and have introduced us to various groups etc.

I used to frequent the TeamBHP get togethers in Delhi, usually pulled together by SS-Traveller. And enjoyed meeting other TeamBHP members.

These days, back in the Netherlands I still have by and large the same interests and hobbies. In addition I have added a bit of local political activity into my hobby/interest mix as we moved to a new home in a tiny village.

Jeroen
Old 6th August 2018, 13:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quizzing - so there's QFI in Chennai, the KQA in Bangalore, BQC in Mumbai, and others in Pune, Kolkata etc. And of course FB based quiz groups that have a bunch of quizzers from these cities.

Thanks to FB membership is a lot easier than turning up at the quizzes with a regular team, and these clubs have annual quiz festivals where people travel from other cities as well.

Linux user groups - at least when they were active in India, in the 2000s. Most of them, including the largest - linux-india - are sadly defunct now that Linux is so mainstream.
Old 8th August 2018, 10:21   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: What groups / societies are you a part of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
The biggest group I'm part of is the Team-bhp.

Quote:
My leisure time is pretty much 100% cars.
That's pretty much the case with me. My free time is either with family or cars or both combined (e.g. drive).

I've been a part of groups on & off (karate club, school gang, offroading group), but due to work + family + cars, haven't had the time to consistently be an active part of any of them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks