Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2018, 13:45   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

India's 1st cashier-free store opens up in Kochi

Very cool, would love to experience it.

However, while the trend is catching on in the West, I doubt it'll ever work in India. Reason = cheap labour.

Quote:
There are no long-winding queues or slow cashiers at Watasale. In fact, there is no cashier at all. At this fully-automated store recently launched by a Kochi-based startup at the city’s Gold Souk Grande Mall, customers get a hands-on experience of what cashier-less shopping feels like. This is the age of the automated retail store, which does away with needless human interaction.

While the concept was spearheaded by Amazon, which has its Amazon Go store in Seattle, the rest of the world is still waking up to the many possibilities of disruptive retail. American retail giant Walmart has announced a partnership with Microsoft to launch cashier-free stores.
Source & Full Article
Old 10th September 2018, 14:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: India's 1st cashier-free store opens up in Kochi

I think Myntra had opened a similar one for clothes in Mantri mall in Bangalore. It was called Roadster Go. Haven't visited. Kochi is full-fledged retail
Old 10th September 2018, 14:58   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
However, while the trend is catching on in the West, I doubt it'll ever work in India. Reason = cheap labour.
]
That is true of course. However, for me the biggest advantage is not having to wait in a queue.

When I go to our supermarket I pick up a trolley and a scanner. I run around the supermarket with my wife's shopping list. I pick up what is on the list, scan it, put it into the carrier bags I have brought from home, that are now in my trolley

When I'm done, I go the self check-out. Put the scanner back and the total shows up on a display, I stick in a bit of plastic and I'm done shopping. never a queue.

Jeroen

Last edited by ajmat : 10th September 2018 at 16:44. Reason: minor typos
Old 10th September 2018, 15:26   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Really good concept. More than cheap labor, I think the fear of theft.

I used self check out at Walmart a lot in the US and each store had a notice saying there'd be random checking. I never saw any of the random checking ever happen though. But again, there's an inherent discipline there which isn't commonplace here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
When I'm done, I go the self check-out. Put the scanner back and the total shows up on a display, I stick in a bit of plastic and I'm done shopping. never a queu.
I think what they are talking about is the store being entirely cashier-less, not just self-check out. Meaning, you put the items in your bag and walk out.
Old 10th September 2018, 16:23   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I think what they are talking about is the store being entirely cashier-less, not just self-check out. Meaning, you put the items in your bag and walk out.
Yes, same thing for me, no queu and even faster than a self check out.
Jeroen
Old 10th September 2018, 17:21   #6
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
That is true of course. However, for me the biggest advantage is not having to wait in a queue.

When I go to our supermarket I pick up a trolley and a scanner. I run around the supermarket with my wife's shopping list. I pick up what is on the list, scan it, put it into the carrier bags I have brought from home, that are now in my trolley

When I'm done, I go the self check-out. Put the scanner back and the total shows up on a display, I stick in a bit of plastic and I'm done shopping. never a queue.

Jeroen
That's all fine until someone decides it's a great time for shoplifting.

Say I have 10 items in my cart and I scan only 4, pay for the 4 items and walk out with all ten items. How would the store track such a theft?
Old 10th September 2018, 17:40   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's a video of it.

Source - youtube
Old 10th September 2018, 22:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

I would take this as a risky prospect in India. Wrong move actually to go completely cashier-less.

Here is USA, there are many supermarkets which have dedicated manned counters + self check-out areas with about 10-15 kiosks, depending on size of store.

For example, I go to Target near my home. There are about 15 manned counters and about 10 self check-out counters.
On days where my trolley is loaded, I go to the manned counter.
The days when I have, say 5 items, I go to the self-checkout kiosk.

This model should have been experimented in India.
Bigger brands like Big Bazaar, Westside, Pantaloons, Brand Factory, etc should step forward and try this method of manned + self check-out kiosks.

This would give the customer the feel of the ease of self check-out and incase he is not comfortable, can go to the cashier.
Old 11th September 2018, 10:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
The days when I have, say 5 items, I go to the self-checkout kiosk.

This model should have been experimented in India.
Bigger brands like Big Bazaar, Westside, Pantaloons, Brand Factory, etc should step forward and try this method of manned + self check-out kiosks.

This would give the customer the feel of the ease of self check-out and incase he is not comfortable, can go to the cashier.
This is already available in India. BigBazar have their own self-checkout app (I haven't used it though) and there are third-party players like Perpule where I can scan the barcodes and pay via the app and do a self check out. I use it whenever the queue is big, and it is very convenient.

--Anoop
Old 11th September 2018, 19:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
This is already available in India. BigBazar have their own self-checkout app (I haven't used it though) and there are third-party players like Perpule where I can scan the barcodes and pay via the app and do a self check out. I use it whenever the queue is big, and it is very convenient.

--Anoop
Ah my bad, may be I wasn't clear. I am recommending Self Checkout Kiosks - No App involvement.
Scan the products at the kiosk - pay be card / cash eating machine.

India's 1st cashier-free store opens up in Kochi-27892113936_017e958361_b.jpg

India's 1st cashier-free store opens up in Kochi-o.jpg

Oh, by the way, what if I switch off data, after entering the store using the QR Code ?
Does the data needs to be on, so that QR code can be read on exit, and then only the exit gate opens ?
Lots of what ifs in this model.

Clearly, a desi american with a 'wow american accent' trying to do something for the indian market, without a study of indian shoppers and shopping pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Here's a video of it.
---snip video---
Source - Youtube
No offence, this guy is cringe-worthy as the Trivago guy

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 11th September 2018 at 19:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks