Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2018, 23:30   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Pondicherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
There's Satsanga, which for such a religious sounding name, has some of the best steak in town. Worth a try.

And Cafe Terra for crepes, sandwiches and such.
This is the place? Happened to find a stay right next to this. Will try the steak for sure.

A Guide: Eating out in Pondicherry-img_20180922_211107854.jpg

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd September 2018 at 10:44. Reason: quoted post deleted for rule 11 violation. :)
Old 23rd September 2018, 09:48   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
- Cafe des Arts (breakfast combos)
The place is nice but can get hot as it has open space. Went for 'Complete' breakfast combo. Pretty good and filling. The crossiant was nice.

Loved the masala chai too.
Old 23rd September 2018, 09:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The place is nice but can get hot as it has open space. Went for 'Complete' breakfast combo. Pretty good and filling. The crossiant was nice.

Loved the masala chai too.
The worst thing about Pondy is its blazing hot weather. White Town buildings are white painted and have very thick walls, which helps a lot - but avoid outdoor seating, as you found out.
Old 24th September 2018, 11:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_nikhil View Post
Hi Anoop, so when are you planning to visit pondi? Do check out the weather forecast as a rainy pondi isn’t so great as you won’t be able to check out most places owing to the fact that parking place is difficult within white town, where most of the eateries are there, and you might have to park in a safe place and walk a bit, which is actually the best way to check out white town. There are quite a few places you can check out. May I know how many days are you planning your trip to be?

Cheers,
Nikhil.
Hi Nikhil,

Thank you for the call out. The dates are oct 26th and 27th. have booked a place at a walkable distance from Promenade, hoping that we get to explore the surroundings via walk.

--Anoop
Old 24th September 2018, 13:44   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Hi Nikhil,

Thank you for the call out. The dates are oct 26th and 27th. have booked a place at a walkable distance from Promenade, hoping that we get to explore the surroundings via walk.

--Anoop
Ok, so a place to stay within the white town is a good idea. You can actually walk all around white town as the roads aren’t so wide except a few streets, and also, parking is a big hassle within white town. If you like walking, that is. Otherwise, choose your parking areas with care, the locals are completely insensitive to other’s property. It’s not difficult to find out carelessly parked two wheelers and cars alike; also the riding / driving sense and road rules are giving scant regard. You must be wondering why I’m taking a lecture on parking when you wanted places to eat, well, you will understand if you have been to pondi before. Places to eat, now I’d suggest café des arts for breakfast; they have a good range of conti stuff available. Service is slow and mood is relaxed so do not go there if you are in a hurry. Also baker’s street for a quick breakfast, Hotel promenade’s buffet if you are feeling generous with your expenses. Lunch and dinner there are multiple options, I am listing the places where you’d get the French / conti food as you wanted. Alcohol is served in most of these places.

1. Satsanga
2. Le dupleix
3. Le Maison rose
4. Villa shanti
5. Hotel Helena
6. Sicily (recent additions to the beachfront, food is yum!)
7. Le chateau
8. Promenade rooftop
9. Le club
10. Farm fresh pizzeria (xtasi / tanto’s are a bit overrated, try this one out too)
11. Auroville visitor’s complex (really good food, long drive though)
12. Biker’s café at ECR (waffles are amazing)
13. Celine’s kitchen

At any cost, avoid Asian house and club like plague. The food once was good but now the chef has changed and the crowd on weekends isn’t so good too. Also, another place is Seagulls; its govt run restaurant that is managed like any other government establishment, shabby and tardy. The view there is amazing and maybe you can order just a beer (if you order food there, I suggest you have a good GP ready to admit you for gastroenteritis) and enjoy the sunset, later go to a proper place.

Hope this helps,
Cheers!
Nikhil.
Doc_nikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 14:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all for the suggestions - came back from the trip yesterday and had an awesome trip - food, beach and more food.

Started from Bangalore by around 4.30, and the first pit stop was at Arcot A2B for breakfast. Reached Pondy earlier than anticipated, so went to Baker Street for a quick bite. Had a burger, pizza, and eclairs from there. While the food was good, it didn't really live up to the hype.

A Guide: Eating out in Pondicherry-img_20181026_102411.jpg
A Guide: Eating out in Pondicherry-img_20181026_102517.jpg

Drove down to Auroville and on the way, stopped at Tantos for lunch. Had yummy Pizza and baked fish. The food was good.

A Guide: Eating out in Pondicherry-img_20181026_130518.jpg
A Guide: Eating out in Pondicherry-img_20181026_131319.jpg

After walking around Auroville, had a quick snacks break at Auroville bakery - had some quick bites, ice creams etc.

For dinner, went to Du Parc. Since the weather was pleasant, decided to sit outside. Had soups, starters and couple of mains - The chicken coq au vin and Poricha Eral was excellent, rest of the stuff was good.

A Guide: Eating out in Pondicherry-img_20181026_193228.jpg
A Guide: Eating out in Pondicherry-img_20181026_194144.jpg

We concluded the day with ice creams from GMT, after a leisurely Promenade walk.
A Guide: Eating out in Pondicherry-img_20181027_212902_bokeh.jpg

Breakfast was complimentary, so did not go out. After visiting Paradise beach, we went to Satsanga for lunch. Had some nice steaks, chicken pancake, prawns in honey garlic etc - the prawns were finger licking good, rest of the items were good.

A Guide: Eating out in Pondicherry-img_20181027_125010.jpg
A Guide: Eating out in Pondicherry-img_20181027_130058.jpg

On the way back, we stopped at Art food cafe - they had a Gelato Factory outlet selling gelatos - an enjoyed some nice gelatos.

A Guide: Eating out in Pondicherry-img_20181027_132902.jpg
A Guide: Eating out in Pondicherry-img_20181027_132858.jpg

After a quick nap, went to Zuka in the evening - had their excellent hot chocolate, chocolate pakoda, and loads of short eats - each one of them was yummy.

A Guide: Eating out in Pondicherry-img_20181027_164239.jpg
A Guide: Eating out in Pondicherry-img_20181027_164144.jpg
A Guide: Eating out in Pondicherry-img_20181027_164120.jpg

For dinner, went to Rendezvous rooftop - had prawns garlic butter, fish koliwada, spicy roast chicken etc - the food was excellent. They had live music performance also.

A Guide: Eating out in Pondicherry-img_20181027_203434.jpg
A Guide: Eating out in Pondicherry-img_20181027_204546.jpg

After dinner, walked down to GMT for another dosage of ice creams.

Sunday, had breakfast from the hotel before we started back and stopped at Ambur Thalappakatti biriyani for lunch. Had moru moru stick chicken and thalappakatti biriyani, and jigerthanda. The jigerthanda was underwelhming, rest all were good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k88k View Post
OT: There is a book store on the right, on the way to Surguru Restaurant after you take the left from bussy street. The collection fairly good at dirt cheap pricecs. Ended up buying half a dozen books including "I know you got soul" by Jeremy Clarkson. Fun read.
Thank you for the gem of a suggestion -went there and picked up lot of titles for my kid at a throwaway price. I picked up On the Edge: My Story by Richard Hammond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_nikhil View Post
Ok, so a place to stay within the white town is a good idea. You can actually walk all around white town as the roads aren’t so wide except a few streets, and also, parking is a big hassle within white town.
Hope this helps,
Cheers!
Nikhil.
Thank you for the tips about parking. Since all the places were at a walkable distance from our stay, I did not take the car out - instead, we walked every were and it was really enjoyable since the weather was good.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 29th October 2018 at 15:11.
theexperthand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 10:23   #22
BHPian

Hello everyone, Part time Pondicherry resident here. Just adding my 2 bits.

If you are spending the day in Auroville, then I would suggest you try the following places.

1. Nowana - A korean restaurant on the main road Leading to Auroville.
2. Brothers Pizza - A simple no nonsense place, we love the pizzas here.
3. Marc's Cafe - Opposite Tantos, good sandwiches and great coffee.
4. Naturellement garden Cafe - Inside Auroville.

We find Tantos more hype than substance (our personal opinion)
Try the bread at the Auroville Bakery.

Please feel free to ask me If you need any help.
clix22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 11:05   #23
BHPian

A couple of months back when I visited Pondy, I found this Mexican restaurant "Margaritas". The food was good with typical Mexican cuisine available on the menu and the service too was good. Heard they have two branches in Pondy, people who are heading to Pondy try this out.
Old 3rd January 2022, 22:32   #24
BHPian

Was a student in Pondy and I can very well vouch for a lot of restaurants there!
Good five and half years!

- Hotel Kamachi - The chicken or Mutton curry dosa are must try
- Hotel Sarguru - Best Veg food in Pondy. Period
- Cafe Xtasi - Only for the Jumbo Pizza
- Don Corobelli - Don’t let the reviews fool you. This place has great Italian food!
- Boston Cafe - Ask the owner for a chicken patty burger. He grinds and makes the patty fresh. Something worth to wait for
- Le cafe - for the scrumptious evening bowl of creamy lasagna
- Hotel Atithi - Offers good kebab on weekends
- Hotel Accord - Great for weekend buffets. Be it dinner or breakfast
- Ende Nadu - for all those Kerala food craves. Meen Polichadhu is a famous one here!
- Zuka - for hot chocolate
- Richy Rich - Great ice creams
- GMT Ice Cream - As the name says!
- Food Paradise - For Biryani and Arabian Grape juice
- Hot Kings - for shawarma and grilled foods
- Punjabi Dhaba - for the authentic North Indian food craves
- Hotel Karai - for chettinad food
- Hotel White Residency - for Biryani
- Tanto’s - decent Italian food

These are a few which I could recall. Will add more if I remember!
Aravind_M92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 05:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
Was a student in Pondy and I can very well vouch for a lot of restaurants there!
Good five and half years!

- Hotel Kamachi - The chicken or Mutton curry dosa are must try

These are a few which I could recall. Will add more if I remember!
Appuchi and then this small roadside place called Rolex near the main bus stand that literally every auto guy in pondy recommended to me. Their borota and mutton fry (I asked for it semi gravy instead of as a curry) was quite good.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 10:06   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Appuchi and then this small roadside place called Rolex near the main bus stand that literally every auto guy in pondy recommended to me. Their borota and mutton fry (I asked for it semi gravy instead of as a curry) was quite good.
Yes sir. I do remember Rolex!
Food was good but the ambience put me away. More than parottas, their egg laba ( egg stuffed in parotta) is really good. I wouldn't recommend to many of my friends back then and definitely no for the current times!
Constant pollution (noise and air) and open drains near the eating place does put me away.
Aravind_M92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 11:17   #27
BHPian

Thank you guys for marking the best eateries of Pondy.

Will be travelling to Pondy this weekend and have already noted down the ones which are discussed in this thread. Since we are vegetarians, any other notable veg food friendly eateries which we could try?

TIA.
KK
Old 25th October 2022, 21:57   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Since we are vegetarians, any other notable veg food friendly eateries which we could try?
You can try Hotel Suguru, we loved the food there
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 08:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrasin_selvan View Post
I found this Mexican restaurant "Margaritas".
There is only one in White Town right? Where's the second?

I am a tex-mex fan, so wanted to try Margaritas for sometime. Where exactly did you park?
Old 26th October 2022, 09:04   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
You can try Hotel Suguru, we loved the food there
Thanks, have noted. Any other recommendation.

KK

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks