Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2018, 11:41   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Move over Apple, Microsoft is again the world's most valuable company

And am especially proud because there is an Indian at the helm of affairs

Quote:
Since Satya Nadella took over as chief executive in 2014, Microsoft has reduced its reliance on Windows software for PCs and became a major player in cloud computing, second only to Amazon.com Inc
Quote:
But Apple has suffered more than other Silicon Valley stalwarts, losing 19 percent since the iPhone maker warned on Nov. 1 that crucial holiday-quarter sales would likely miss Wall Street expectations.

Global demand for smartphones has slowed in recent years, making it more difficult for Apple to increase its revenue.
Source & Full Article
Old 29th November 2018, 12:23   #2
BHPian

Re: Move over Apple, Microsoft is again the world's most valuable company

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
And am especially proud because there is an Indian at the helm of affairs
Yes i second that and hope Apple does not go the blackberry way. It better re look at its pricing strategy especially in countries like India which is seen as a huge revenue base!
Old 29th November 2018, 15:15   #3
BHPian

Well it's because Microsoft is massively in the Cloud business. Their cloud services are selling like how Windows were selling for them. But in the long run, I see Amazon to be at the helm as they have an E-Commerce business along with an equivalent cloud offering in the name of AWS!
joe1980 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 15:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
It better re look at its pricing strategy especially in countries like India which is seen as a huge revenue base!
The quality of the products has already taken a hit, My original apple iPhone7 headset was replaced in 2 months because it stopped working, the replacement stopped working in 2 months, The service center simply refused to even entertain my claim, reason There was a slight gap in one sides and they simply said its physical damage and refused to accept.

I had previously had a similar situation, but this was due to the lightning cable getting ripped, it was clearly a physical damage but they replaced it. No questions asked. A link that will prove what i said is right.

https://www.scoopwhoop.com/Broken-iP...aced-For-Free/

The new service center in Trivandrum is worst than a Lenovo service center i visited a year ago, its obvious that the extra premium apple charges while selling its "Premium" Products is just going into one pocket without any real value add for the customers, with android catching up in terms of stability and usability, the day is not far when apple will become another blackberry.

pramod
Old 29th November 2018, 16:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

I am assuming Microsoft's enterprise cloud offerings must be really good, and maybe that is where they are devoting their resources. Because as a simple user (have 0 tech knowledge apart from knowing the definitions), I find their offerings for individual users on the cloud to be quite inferior to competition.

I have accounts in both Google & Microsoft for my work. I find Google's offerings much better compared to Microsoft.
Gmail> Outlook (I keep deleting and installing outlook app based on requirement)
Google Drive> Sharepoint
Google Duo> Skype (Microsoft has actually ruined Skype; after years of using Skype, I now set all meetings through Duo - of course I find many not familiar with it, but all appreciating it in the end )
Google Sheets> Excel online (I find Sheets much easier to work with while collaborating with others)

Last edited by rrsteer : 29th November 2018 at 16:56.
rrsteer is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 17:25   #6
BHPian

The slowdown for Apple doesn't seem to stop Warren Buffet to increase his holdings in Apple.

source

Quote:
“I don’t focus on the sales in the next quarter or the next year. I focus on the hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of millions of people who practically live their lives by it,” Buffett said referring to the iPhone. “And if you look at that little piece of whatever it is, it’s some of the most valuable real estate in the world.”
Old 29th November 2018, 18:13   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Microsoft has huge corporate relationships. They are piggy backing on this relationship to sell their Azure offerings (cloud alternative to AWS). The adoption seems to be increasing due to the discounts MS seems to be offering to it's long standing customers.

At the consumer products level, I guess Apple is slowing pricing itself out of the reach of most people in the world's biggest markets - China + India. That may have hurt their profits somewhat.
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 13:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if this is the right place to post this video but since this is an existing thread on Microsoft - felt it maybe a good article here:

Microsoft's CEO Just Taught a Mini Master Class in Leadership - Link

Quote:
You're CEO of one of the largest companies in the world. You need to make big changes. Whom do you turn to for advice?

You ring up Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, of course. And you hope he takes the call.

That was the recent situation of Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess, whose company is in the middle of major change. Volkswagen is reckoning with a transformation of its entire industry--from hardware (manufacturing) and a focus on car owners, to a software-led, mobility-first center of attention. All of this while trying to rebuild an organizational culture still reeling from the company's global "Dieselgate" scandal from just five years ago.

So, Diess called up Nadella, well known for leading a major turnaround at Microsoft in recent years. Speaking from his own experience, Nadella explained how his company was able to repair a broken organizational culture, while simultaneously skyrocketing the company's share price.

Although the remote conversation lasts just over 15 minutes, Nadella teaches a master class in emotionally intelligent leadership.
vsrivatsa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 03:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

I do not know what Warren Buffet is seeing in Apple. I mean this is a company which has now resorted to not giving charger and headphone as a part of saving environment. And at same time does not support usb-c, cables for which most people already have.

Regarding Microsoft, the are doing the right things. Azure is doing very well. They have also have cloud based build pipelines which we have switched over to. The in built nuget package management really is neat.

In long term it will be AWS vs Microsoft. Actually it will be Linux vs Microsoft. That barrier still has to be breached despite porting of .NET to Linux platform.
Old 2nd November 2020, 10:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Isaacson says, when Steve Jobs briefs his idea, he literally shows the product to them, they can immerse in that idea & makes them almost believe that they're in it. Highly doubt about any such visionary leader in Apple can do that. And MS survives on mass, which is not the colosseum of Apple either.
Old 2nd November 2020, 10:19   #11
BHPian

This will be a trend for the next few years where a lot and lot of enterprises are moving their infrastructure to the cloud. It is no wonder that companies like Microsoft, AWS and GCP are booming. While Satya might have turned the tables for Microsoft, I see the cloud business as a "Me Too" business. It would be interesting to know what happens when the cloud adoption plateaus. What will happen to the competition?
joe1980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 09:17   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Microsoft briefly overtakes Apple as world's most valuable company.

Quote:
Microsoft briefly overtook Apple (AAPL.O) as the world's most valuable company for the first time since 2021 after the iPhone maker's shares made a weak start to the year on growing concerns over demand.

Microsoft's shares have risen sharply since last year, thanks to the early lead the company has taken in generative artificial intelligence through an investment in ChatGPT-maker OpenAI.

Link:
Old 13th January 2024, 11:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Yes i second that and hope Apple does not go the blackberry way. It better re look at its pricing strategy especially in countries like India which is seen as a huge revenue base!
Correction. Seen as a potential huge revenue base if we grow like China did. In terms of absolute sales, India is a much smaller market than even Australia revenue wise - approx $6bn vs $9.25bn

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks