Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2007, 15:37   #1
BHPian

For those who drive with spectacles

Not sure how many of you been in this situation.

Sometimes, especially during rainy seasons, my spectacles becomes moistened. Although switching on AC/heater clears the problem after sometimes, but occassionally I do feel this trouble. In summer, replace water with sweat. If I'm alone in car, I can set the AC to max but with co-passenger(s) sometimes they complain about being too chilly.

Ideally I should stop and wipe my glasses when it happens but it is not always possible to stop in traffic.

Also, accumulation of tiny rain droplets on specs cause visibility problem.

I really wish I had specs with wiper/demister!
Old 17th January 2007, 15:47   #2
Team-BHP Support

Is it really that much of a problem? I wear specs and drive but never faced any problems. the only time it's a problem is in humid climates when you get out of an airconditioned car, then it mists up but for a few seconds.

I can even understand night driving for which I have antiglare coatings.
Old 17th January 2007, 16:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

wash your spectacle lenses with soap and water. This prevents it from fogging up.
Old 17th January 2007, 16:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

I drive with specs, and I haven't had this problem either. But my specs do mist over big time after I get out of the car.

Riding the bike back in my college days in the rain used to be a big hassle. Esp. at night when the lights of the vehicles coming opposite would get reflected in every drop of water on my specs.
Old 17th January 2007, 16:07   #5
BHPian

I think it may have someting to do with spec frame design as well. Earlier, I used to wear a large frame, which touched my skin the bottm of the rim - thus sweat/water could accummulate on the rim of the frame.

But after changing to a small half-rimless style, I feel that sweat/water accumulation at rim bottom has gone.

But I still at times, I feel the misting problem on glass.

@n_aditya
I never cleaned specs with soap/water - I usually use lense cleaning fluid supplied by spec shops. I'll try with soap/water.
Old 17th January 2007, 16:18   #6
BHPian

never faced such problem ..
Old 17th January 2007, 16:23   #7
Team-BHP Support

Even when I sweat by the bucket, it doesn't touch my glasses. I think it has to do with your frame design.
Old 17th January 2007, 16:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Mee too never faced this issue although my number is so small that I can do without specs at day time
Old 17th January 2007, 16:28   #9
rks
BANNED

I have been having a longsight problem for at least the last 5-6 years (natural for a person of my age, close to 50 now). I cannot read very fine print, but on the other hand I seldom read anything on paper these days. I read only stuff off my laptop screen 95% of the time. So I haven't bothered to go in for specs or contact lenses.

Recently I went to get a new learner's license (!) because my Karnataka license expired on Jan. 7 this year. The Driving School guy I approached told me to go in for a fresh new license at the Pune RTO because transferring the license from Karnataka to Maharashtra registration and renewing it would ultimately prove much more expensive, since I did not have anybody to get the license renewed in Bangalore.

So I went to the Pune RTO and a bogus doctor there (referred to me by the Driving School) asked me "Is your eyesight OK?". I said "Fine" and he said, "Rs. 30/- please". I said "no problem", and my medical certificate was signed! He was having some fine print nearby for conducting an eye test, but he failed (did not want?) to call my bluff. Of course I don't have any problems with seeing objects on the road while driving, but I may not be able to read some fine print that may be on some road signs. I did take the test that all candidates for a learner's license had to take and got 9/10 (Missed out on the "Hospital ahead" road sign -- selected "First aid ahead" instead).

Next I need to go for the permanent license (probably a driving test) end of this month. The Driving School instructor had told me not to show them my old expired license, as then they would insist on an NOC from Bangalore RTO.

Last edited by rks : 17th January 2007 at 16:32.
Old 17th January 2007, 17:03   #10
BHPian

This is very strange and un-heard of problem being faced by sbasak.
I also wear specs and my no. is quite high but never faced such problem except in summers when i get out of car with ac on and in winters when i put on specs after shower.

Best solution ofcourse would be contact lenses if its bothering too much.
Old 17th January 2007, 17:14   #11
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
This is very strange and un-heard of problem being faced by sbasak.
Obviously the humidity inside sbasak's car is very high. One suggestion I can make is to set the AC blower for maximum fresh air intake rather than recirculation. That should reduce the humidity. Maybe the damper is stuck at 100% recirculation and needs to be checked.
Old 17th January 2007, 20:14   #12
BHPian

Quote:
One suggestion I can make is to set the AC blower for maximum fresh air intake rather than recirculation.
That's why team-bhp rocks! Most of the time I keep AC to recirculate position as it cools car faster! I'll do it at once and If it fails then probably I need to see an ophthalmologist.
Old 17th January 2007, 20:21   #13
BHPian

But u said in ur 1st post that switching on ac solve the problem.Right?
Anyway give it try what rks has said and lets see what happen..
Old 17th January 2007, 20:22   #14
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
That's why team-bhp rocks! Most of the time I keep AC to recirculate position as it cools car faster! I'll do it at once and If it fails then probably I need to see an ophthalmologist.
One more point that occurred to me is that the AC probably has a de-humidifier built in to control the humidity of the air inside. Maybe that is not working well in your car, so that the humidity rises too much when the air is set for recirculation. But it is true for my Santro also that when I set for maximum air recirculation in the monsoon season, the windshield does become misty at times.
Old 17th January 2007, 20:35   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Wierd. I've had troubles (when I had spectacles - got a Laser eye operation 2 years ago) when I've stepped out of my chilled car into the heat and humidity of Mumbai city.
Never in the car.

Well, I have a suggestion. Why don't you wipe your glasses with a drop of alcohol or better still, that liquid you get to wipe your windshield on the inside. I forget what it's called.

I would definitely suggest a drop of ethyl alcohol to clean your lenses. With a lint free cloth.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks