Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2007, 10:25   #1
BANNED

WARNING : SPEED COPs AHEAD

Guys, I dunno how many of you are aware of the signal for warning oncoming traffic that there are speed guns up ahead for them -- its a signal not mentioned in books any where but it does exist . Ive tried doing it in Delhi but it seems a lot of them dont know about it and my WARNINGS go waste .

So next time any of you notices traffic cops stopping ppl for over speeding on the opp side of the road, start warning oncoming drivers by FLASHING UR LIGHTS .

And for ppl who see an oncoming car flashing his lights even in broad day light inspite f a divider in the road , just remember he may be trying to warn you about the speed trap .

I know for sure that most drivers in Saddi Dilli dont know about this ............ Hope it helps you guys from getting trapped or maybe saving others from getting trapped . Spread the word around , specially in cities where the speed gun is pretty common .

Cheers

PS -- MODS PLS SHIFT THIS IF YOU FEEL ITS IN THE WRONG SECTION > I thought this wud be the best one to post in .
Old 20th January 2007, 11:14   #2
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Hahah nice one KHAADU lets do this!! DND toll bridge has speed interceptor on the Delhi to noida stretch right before the bridge most of the time. Sarita vihar road also has interceptors. I usually look out for speeding cars hitting their brakes in the middle of the road as they see the interceptor doesn't all the time though
Old 20th January 2007, 12:01   #3
BANNED

This is practised normally in other countries too.
I was so used to it that if I see any car flashing lights here, I think of cops. But our desi drivers also have a problem of flashing lights without any valid reason too. What to do?
Old 20th January 2007, 12:24   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This has been a regular for Mumbai cops since many years. Common stretches are:

1. Marine Drive
2. Worli Seaface
3. JJ Flyover
4. Bandra - Worli Sealink
5. Carter Road.
Old 20th January 2007, 12:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
But our desi drivers also have a problem of flashing lights without any valid reason too. What to do?
this is what happens most of the time.
Old 20th January 2007, 15:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

uhhm.....whts the speed limit anyways?
Old 20th January 2007, 15:36   #7
Team-BHP Support

Truck drivers use this signaling system to warn oncoming trucks about checkposts.
Have seen this being used extensively on highways.
Old 20th January 2007, 15:58   #8
Team-BHP Support

In the UK, one can get fined for warning others - obstructing police during duty or aiding / abetting a crime
Old 20th January 2007, 15:59   #9
Team-BHP Support

UK is an exception, there you can get booked under anti chemical warfare law if you fart in public
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2007, 16:21   #10
rks
BANNED

Two common reasons that I am aware of for flashing your lights at an oncoming vehicle:

1. I am claiming right of way.
2. Your headlights/sidelights are on.
Old 20th January 2007, 16:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
UK is an exception, there you can get booked under anti chemical warfare law if you fart in public

hmmm..even for the silent but stinky ones......if they catch the culprit that is...
Here atleast it is very noticable that there a spped gun up ahead..as there will be aound 3/4 police bikes about a dozen cops and a qualis cop car...so people can notice them for quite a distance.
Wht is the range these guns can start tracking?
Old 20th January 2007, 16:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This has been a regular for Mumbai cops since many years. Common stretches are:

1. Marine Drive
2. Worli Seaface
3. JJ Flyover
4. Bandra - Worli Sealink
5. Carter Road.
also the second second flyover(longes one) on the Tulsi-pipe road to phoenix mills near worli, after 10 in the morning till 8 in evening ive seen a traffic police jeep always there with 4-5pandus and catching people for speeding and bikes driven without helmet
Old 20th January 2007, 19:58   #13
BANNED

Guys , This was just posted so word cudbe spread around ... I always do it , some ppl realise it and save themselves some money -- others dont and end up getting caught .

Just spread it around ... what happens in UK aint our concern , its about India that we referring to .

Cheers

PS -- MODS , Pls make up your minds as to where the thread should be .. in a matter of hours its moved twice . And frankly I dont see why it should be in Shifting Gears , so shift it where it stays longer and not vanish in another few hours .
Old 20th January 2007, 20:14   #14
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Two common reasons that I am aware of for flashing your lights at an oncoming vehicle:

1. I am claiming right of way.
2. Your headlights/sidelights are on.
One more reason: At night, I give two *prolonged* flashes at those who drive around in high beam.

Anyway the present proposal would probably apply only during daytime. A night-time flash could be interpreted in any number of ways, say, maybe the driver is not able to see the road clearly and hence flashes his high beam.
Old 20th January 2007, 20:35   #15
BHPian

Next time I see someone flashing lights during day, means step on the brakes and slow down.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks