Team-BHP - 2 Surya Kiran IAF aircraft crash at the Yelahanka airbase in Bengaluru
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   2 Surya Kiran IAF aircraft crash at the Yelahanka airbase in Bengaluru (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/206783-2-surya-kiran-iaf-aircraft-crash-yelahanka-airbase-bengaluru.html)

Two Suryakiran aircrafts of the Indian Air Force (IAF) crashed in Yelahanka air base in Bengaluru. Both pilots are believed to be safe and are being treated in a hospital. The aircrafts were a part of the aerobatic display team that had arrived ahead of the Aero India show which is scheduled to take place between February 20-24.

Quote:

The crash happened when two of the aircraft suffered a head-on collision during a rehearsal. The pilots ejected safely and are undergoing treatment at a medical facility at the airbase.

News agency ANI reported that one civilian was hurt following the crash. "Both pilots have ejected, the debris has fallen near ISRO layout, Yelahanka new town area,"
Source

http://youtu.be/km2cme6s1fw

Some pictures that I recieved on WhatsApp

2 Surya Kiran IAF aircraft crash at the Yelahanka airbase in Bengaluru-img20190219wa002101.jpeg

2 Surya Kiran IAF aircraft crash at the Yelahanka airbase in Bengaluru-img20190219wa002501.jpeg

2 Surya Kiran IAF aircraft crash at the Yelahanka airbase in Bengaluru-img20190219wa002701.jpeg

2 Surya Kiran IAF aircraft crash at the Yelahanka airbase in Bengaluru-img20190219wa002301.jpeg

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemanth.anand (Post 4547114)
Both pilots are believed to be safe and are being treated in a hospital.

Details on this part is sketchy I believe. I also saw another update that says while both pilots managed to eject one of them has apparently lost his life later while being shifted to the hospital.

One civilian death is also being reported in this incident.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zappo (Post 4547125)
Details on this part is sketchy I believe.
===
One civilian death is also being reported in this incident.

There were 3 pilots, one craft had 2 and the other 1. The second one which had one, the cockpit seems to have been damaged due to the collision and the pilot could not eject.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/two-...om=home-livetv

You can see the pilots ejecting towards 10 second of this video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fLVrIZwawCg

Looks like Bengaluru must think of a relocation of both HAL and Yelahanka fields as there's been a back to back crash very close to residential areas. Looks like the Aero India 2019 will meet with a tepid response given these two accidents.

Very very tragic. My prayers for the souls of those who have been killed. The video above seems to indicate the front fuselage of one aircraft got torn off probably explaining why the pilot could not eject. Sad to lose more young lives after the Mirage crash.

Sad indeed. May the souls rest in peace.

I've been curious: what purpose do these aerobatics serve? Are the stunts they perform beneficial in enhancing their preparation/performance during deployment? Are they worth the possible human and financial loss?

Actual collision that happened
https://twitter.com/nmenezeset/statu...510953472?s=12

May the departed soul rest in peace.

May the departed soul rest in peace.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durango Dude (Post 4547157)
Looks like Bengaluru must think of a relocation of both HAL and Yelahanka fields as there's been a back to back crash very close to residential areas. Looks like the Aero India 2019 will meet with a tepid response given these two accidents.

Bangalore authorities require extensive planning & slightly longer execution time, which is why they are currently busy with 'quarter-century long' metro & 'half-century' long PRR project. They will look into your request once they get hands free from this work load & get some time to think about safety of city dwellers.

Btw, with this detailed planning they come up with marvels like KR Puram hanging bridge & Residency road flyover :uncontrol

p.s. sorry for OT post & sarcasm, couldn't control.

I was working from home as usual this morning when I was regularly hearing these flights rehearsing and passing over my location (Yelahanka) till all noises stopped all of a sudden and I wondered - Was that all?

Then I checked WhatsApp and my cousin shared with me a short video with the caption related to Airshow and Yelahanka that I didn't believe. Immediately browsed news portals and saw the news was indeed there and hence genuine. Even BHPian sandsun7 had sent me a message about this.

The place where these crashed is no more a field or an open ground. Sources say its near ISRO Layout and there are quite a few homes here already. Also,right around the Airforce base are residential layouts and taller apartments around (after getting the required approvals for the maximum number of floors) and each day new ones are coming up. Heck, the last Airshow we watched it from the balcony of a BHPian friend and we could literally see the runway and the pilots board the flight sitting from here.

Even when regular flights are on business on normal days, they fly super close to our apartment and often we feel what if.....

Although this accident happened while rehearsing aerobatics, I can't dread to think on what may have happened if these plunged to the ground and crashed into the crowd! This is because when the actual airshow happens, all the roads around here will have parked vehicles and folks catching a glimpse from the Airshow and the planes crashed right into these areas.

Also noticed on news channels how locals around the areas were helpless but still trying to help in all possible ways to one of the injured pilots - By conversing to him, by waving towels and blowing the wind to make him comfortable. The Authorities would have certainly taken time to even locate the place where the planes crashed and where the pilots landed after ejection.

May the soul of the deceased rest in peace but it is certainly time to seriously think about relocation of the venue far away from the habitat(s) because stunts can go wrong and it is always good that this is performed in a remote location far away from residential localities.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragsachania (Post 4547298)
May the soul of the deceased rest in peace but it is certainly time to seriously think about relocation of the venue far away from the habitat(s) because stunts can go wrong and it is always good that this is performed in a remote location far away from residential localities.

The videos are infact shocking and sad to hear about the loss of life.

HAL and Yelahanka air base exists for some time and the surroundings were not so crowded till recently. Isn't it a planning disaster that they allow so many tall/thickly populated apartments and residential areas near Airport/Air base ?

A fighter jet once crashed into a building near Begumpet Airport (hyderabad) few years back. I guess it was also a case of allowing buildings to come up close to the already existing airport.

Sad news. The pilots were some of our best. I can say that their souls find eternal rest. Also, I pray for their families.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunishsamuel (Post 4547456)
A fighter jet once crashed into a building near Begumpet Airport(hyderabad) few years back. I guess it was also a case of allowing buildings to come up close to the already existing airport.

And in that case also it was the surya kiran aerobatics team that was involved. Only difference was that the plan in question was an HPT trainer and not an AJT like Hawk.

But that also makes you think how judicious it is to allow aerobatics performances in the vicinity of thickly populated living areas!

Really sad news. It takes a lot for IAF to train each pilot. Each pilot is invaluable resource for IAF and the nation.

The posts of wife and brother of deceased Squadron Leader Samir Abrol are still doing rounds on what app. And then this news. Losing the aircraft is quite a costly affair, but it can always be replaced. But it is heart wrenching to see these young men, losing their lives like this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragsachania (Post 4547298)
but it is certainly time to seriously think about relocation of the venue far away from the habitat(s) because stunts can go wrong and it is always good that this is performed in a remote location far away from residential localities.

Yelahanka air force base was a remote location and it's more than 50 years old and the air force base is of higher importance, than the land sharks who built apartments and the owners who thought its a good idea to move in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aim120 (Post 4548021)
Yelahanka air force base was a remote location and it's more than 50 years old and the air force base is of higher importance, than the land sharks who built apartments and the owners who thought its a good idea to move in.

Absolutely agree. I am not questioning that. I have been watching this even before I moved to Bangalore 20 years ago as one of my father's friend still stays in New Town area and today I have made this area my home.

However, to tell you the fact, all high rises around here have to obtain a clearance certificate for the maximum number of floors (additional approval due to Airforce station) and as a buyer I too looked specifically for this approval. Hence you will not see high rise beyond 15-18 floors all over Yelahanka unlike other areas like EC or Sarjapur road.

Whether the landsharks indeed wanted to sail in different oceans or whether the other sharks from different oceans invited them to sail is something we all know are 2 faces of the same coin and less debatable.