Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2019, 23:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: What to do if falsely accused of shoplifting by a store?

Thanks for sharing this experience. When ever we go a shop in a mall we are quite casual. Next time will be more careful.

From your experience it seems the security guys just tried to corner you to get some fame and promotion.
Old 8th April 2019, 13:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Post the event, we can escalate to management, write emails, tweet, social media and all that can be done. But, The question is, At that point of time, when you are caught WRONGLY "Red handed", what to do?

In my opinion, If I am NOT guilty, but caught, then, I would simply take the first step of calling police. Let the police come and decide who is the real thief. They are trained on finding out who is the actual culprit. Within 2 mins, they will find out and help us definitely.
Old 9th April 2019, 05:36   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
In my opinion, If I am NOT guilty, but caught, then, I would simply take the first step of calling police. Let the police come and decide who is the real thief. They are trained on finding out who is the actual culprit. Within 2 mins, they will find out and help us definitely.
Have you dealt with the police in such instances? They will drag it on, and then ending the issue gets more tricky.

IMHO, best course of action is remaining calm, and talking your eay through it. If all else fails, then resort to law enforcement.
Old 9th April 2019, 07:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

@gkveda - Here is what happens when you call the cops. They will come, you or the shop manager greases their palms and a compromise is effected. They have far more important/lucrative things to worry about than an altercation in a fancy retail shop. Simply because no garment is missing, nobody has run and there is nothing on your person to recover.
And if you think they will come and 'investigate' and come to a logical conclusion, its not happening because in their book this is wasting of time.
As benbsb has said, talk it out and move on. Unless of course hands are raised or some modesty is outraged.

Last edited by bigron : 9th April 2019 at 07:22.
Old 9th April 2019, 13:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
IMHO, best course of action is remaining calm, and talking your eay through it. If all else fails, then resort to law enforcement.
While I agree to your point that remaining calm is the best solution, there is a risk in remaining calm. It will be misunderstood by the shop owner that you are guilt and hence, you are not countering him. So,he will try to use his power and start jumping on you. And he will be tempted to go to police. Then, the situation might further worsen against you.

Hence, if you are not at fault, first reach out to police is my suggestion.
Old 9th April 2019, 16:39   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
@gkveda - Here is what happens when you call the cops. They will come, you or the shop manager greases their palms and a compromise is effected.
Going by the few times I've had to interact with cops and going by my friends' experiences, I'd agree with this wholeheartedly. [Besides the very pertinent fact that you probably know what you're saying, since you're a practicing criminal lawyer!]

Quote:
In a ideal world, yes. With our police force, probably not, unless like bigron has said, it's a serious enough issue. I'd be very curious to hear if you've had a positive experience when dealing with the police in a serious enough matter, without the benefit of any influential help. Or if this is just a suggestion based on idealism.

Last edited by am1m : 9th April 2019 at 16:42.
Old 10th April 2019, 10:57   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
While I agree to your point that remaining calm is the best solution, there is a risk in remaining calm. It will be misunderstood by the shop owner that you are guilt and hence, you are not countering him. So,he will try to use his power and start jumping on you. And he will be tempted to go to police. Then, the situation might further worsen against you.

Whatever works for you. My interactions with the police when in such situations didnt go as it should have. So, i speak based on my experience.
Once cops are involved, be prepared to grease palms, as well as call on connections. Just my opinion.
Old 10th April 2019, 11:06   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I am surprised a banal run-of-the-mill shop which sells clothes made such a hoopla out of this.

My family were in a family-run jewelry shop 6 years ago in Chennai. Suddenly the lone employee mentioned to the owner that an earring was missing. We were shopping for earrings and had been inspecting samples for 20 minutes by then.

The duo began searching high and low and meanwhile, we were waiting to leave the shop. We didn't like what we had seen so far. They made us wait while they searched for 5 minutes. They didn't make eye-contact with us, but it became apparent that they were concerned for the missing gold article and didn't know what to do with us - did we filch it? Obviously not.

My dad told the owner that it was in poor taste to treat us like that and asked if they would strip-search us next. We walked out soon. The owner had apologized profusely. I guess the possibility of achieving infamy and greater sales losses in a closely-knit neighborhood (in Nanganallur, for those who can relate) outweighed his sense of immediate loss.
Old 10th April 2019, 13:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I'd be very curious to hear if you've had a positive experience when dealing with the police in a serious enough matter, without the benefit of any influential help. Or if this is just a suggestion based on idealism.
I do not have experience similar to the one in this thread, but, whenever I reached to Police, I have had good experience.

For instance: We (Total around 35) were planning for an outing by Bus, there was an old lady (88 years) in our relative circle, who, we had to shift to the bus point (Around 1 km from home). We called Auto to take her to Bus Point.

The auto came and the driver was silent till we uploaded the lady inside auto. Then, he started demanding 200 Rs. There was no luggage, Not more than 2 people were planned to travel by Auto(One lady and One Gentleman) and it was around 8 AM IST and normal metering would cost only minimum charges of Rs. 20

Naturally, we got annoyed because, he took the advantage of the fact that we were not in position to move the lady out because getting her inside the Auto was a tough task. We refused to give 200Rs.

During the discussion and argument, I put my hand on his shoulder (Like a friend) and said, come on, bhai, Take what is shown in meter and don't ask extra money.

Immediately, he started accusing me in bad words and started shouting that I hit him and I touched him. (Legally, It is wrong to touch another person - This I understood from the Inspector later)

Knowing this is not going to end anyways in positive note, I immediately called Hoysala police. He could not run away because the old lady was inside the Auto

The Hoysala Van came within 5 mins, and Inspector (Or may be SI) came to our rescue. He first asked Auto driver to tell his side of the story. I was absolutely silent till he finished. Then, he asked my side of the story. When I explained him my side of the story, He immediately caught the neck of the driver and warned him to just drop the lady near the bus point.

He in fact, followed the Auto by Hoysala vehicle and after dropping, He asked me to pay 20Rs (NOT EVEN ONE RUPEE extra)

When I paid, the driver just shut his mouth and drove away.
Old 10th April 2019, 13:52   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He in fact, followed the Auto by Hoysala vehicle and after dropping, He asked me to pay 20Rs (NOT EVEN ONE RUPEE extra)
That's a good experience indeed, thanks for sharing! We don't have many good stories to share about our law enforcement, so this is really good to hear.

(Still, personally, I'd let my judgement be swayed by the law of averages!)
Old 10th April 2019, 15:30   #26
BHPian

I always had good shopping experiences with Bigbazzar. I used to take a tetra-pack juice and drink while shopping and at the billing counter show my used tetra-pack for billing. I was asked to do this first time I asked a floor manager about my thirst. Thankfully so far they have not raised any melodrama about this. I would have to be careful in future after this incident.
Bangalore Police appears to be fair going by gkveda's experience. But unfortunately you can't say the same thing with Tamil Nadu police. They would side with the party with the maximum influence going by the local media.
Old 10th April 2019, 15:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

@gkveda - The only reason that cop did what he did was because an aged citizen was involved. Specific instructions are passed to local Station Houses to deal with matters concerning the elderly or single women or children. Had this been a friend of yours in the auto that needed transportation, things would have been different.
Anyhow, I guess this particular thread has already reached its logical conclusion.
Old 10th April 2019, 17:38   #28
BHPian

Had they said anything to us on the floor in front of others or if they had touched us or even made us stay there any longer against our will (after they couldn't find any cam footage), we would have definitely called the police even though we don't have much trust in the police.
But calling police before that would have made no sense since technically they didn't defame us in front of others, neither did they use any physical force or any abusive language against us. So all we had was a little inconvenience, at least from the police perspective.
On the other hand, involvement of police would have created an embarrassing scene for us because I doubt that our police has the sensitivity to deal discreetly in such cases. They even leak the names and details of rape victims, you can assume what the scene would have been in the store in this case.
After this episode my personal suggestion to anyone would be -
1. Remain calm and follow if they ask you to come to the security room.
2. Don't try to defend yourself unless they accuse you in clear words.
3. If possible make a video recording of everything. Demand to talk to the highest authority of the store available there (usually they have some better sense).
4. If they accuse you, ask them if they have any concrete evidence, otherwise ask them to call the police. Be calm but firm.
5. If they are still just bickering and accusing, ask politely if you are free to go or you are under some kind of confinement.
6. If they don't let you go, call police yourself.
7. If they try to accuse you in public view or use any abusive words or physical force at any point, call police at that point.
8. Report the incident to higher authorities of the store/chain/company through email or social media.

Last edited by chandra1 : 10th April 2019 at 17:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks