Team-BHP - Remember when.....
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Remember when..... (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/21252-remember-when-21.html)

Remember when girls used to go to school wearing skirts?
https://www.deccanherald.com/nationa...m-1061080.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorqMaster (Post 5217561)
Just wondering do we have any publications left with the same or better level of quality ?

As we know, the concept behind Reader's Digest was to select the best articles that appear in several other magazines covering a variety of subjects, and combine into a single magazine.

Most of the other publications focus only on selected subject areas, and there might be renowned publications in each subject area.

Unless based on the same concept as RD, it is doubtful whether a single publication would be able to consistently deliver good articles, covering diverse subjects.

Remember when...

Doordarshan was the sole TV channel, and was available through the terrestrial transmitters, even before it was renamed as DD1/DD_National, and much before the DD-Metros of each State.

The beauty of DD : despite being a single channel, it used to cover all areas - news, current affairs, sports, film music, classical music, movies, agriculture, serials - you name it. The serials used to be one episode a week, no reruns.

Not all homes had TVs those days, much less a colour TV. People used to watch in friendly neighbours' homes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adisan (Post 5235970)
Remember when...

Doordarshan was the sole TV channel, and was available through the terrestrial transmitters, even before it was renamed as DD1/DD_National, and much before the DD-Metros of each State.

The beauty of DD : despite being a single channel, it used to cover all areas - news, current affairs, sports, film music, classical music, movies, agriculture, serials - you name it. The serials used to be one episode a week, no reruns.

Not all homes had TVs those days, much less a colour TV. People used to watch in friendly neighbours' homes.

Every family had at least one (so called expert) member
Who would reach out to the Antennae to set its direction, while a relay team would be formed from TV room to the Antennae relaying the condition of the signal / display and to guide for the best setting.
Those were the days !!
When a VCR would be rented for 12 hours at night for continuous watching of 4 Movies. Close relatives and neighbours were invited. For a new movie, the Video Parlour guy would make trips at night between various houses to make available the same Video Cassette.
Those were the days !!

Remember when most of Bangalore's road junctions had circles/round-abouts that were decorated with colourful flowers.

So, once again on a lazy day with not much to do, I find myself reflecting. Notice how old fogeys (and believe me, I could be considered one myself) keep saying “Those were the days…”. That got me thinking, so here’s a small (??) list of my “those were the days” memories.

Those were the days ………

1. This is a biggy. When Petrol was Rs. 8 per litre. Yes folks, when I first started driving / riding it was. You may find it hilarious or hard to believe, but we used to actually fill up gas for Rs. 4 – 5 in the BSA Falcon (moped) of a good friend. lol:

2. We used to listen to music on these things called “cassettes” which were played on “tape recorders”. It used to take us days to make a single “mixed tape”. Today it takes 5 minutes to make a playlist.

3. If you bought a car, there were just 2 choices…Fiat or Ambassador. And you knew the prices and the “premium” you needed to pay to get quick delivery. Yes, waiting lists were sometimes 5 – 6 years for delivery. Today, whether your budget is 10 lakhs or 1 crore, there are so many choices and brands and functionalities like SUV, MUV, Hatchback etc. Back then, you just got a car…period!

4. There was only one channel on TV ie Doordarshan. And the only programs worth watching were Chhaya Geet and the Sunday evening Hindi movie. Oh! And TVs were black and white, no color.

5. Telephones (landlines) were these mystical, mythical instruments and mostly only one or two households in the building had one (again waiting period of 6 – 7 years, or pay Rs. 5 – 10,000 “premium”). Well, some things do go full circle. Even today very few households have the landline. Most people make do with only their mobiles now.

6. Highways / expressways??? What are those?? The National Highways used to be single lane (each way) and full of pot-holes / khuddas. Today, no one bats an eyelid before sitting in their car and banging out a 500 – 800 km road trip. Back then, Mumbai to Pune (approx. 160 odd kms) used to be the adventure of a lifetime. Sometimes traffic jams used to stretch for 4 – 5 kms, so whenever you travelled, you took enough food, water and other essentials.

7. Back then, “foreign” was this mythical, magical place where you went and returned with all sorts of goodies (and maybe an accent or two). If you were the lucky one travelling, it was compulsory to bring back chocolates, cheeses etc for all your extended family. If you didn’t you would become a social outcast. :coldsweat

8. Getting the first row seats on the BEST double decker buses was a treat as you got the front facing windows with an amazing view of the city rolling by and the wind in your face. Don’t see these buses any more unfortunately.

These are about all I have the time to think for just now but please feel free to add your memories too to the list and take a walk down memory lane and enjoy!

Mods, I did do a search to see if a similar thread existed but couldn't find one. If indeed it does, please delete this thread and accept my apologies for the inconvenience.

We already have a similar thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...mber-when.html