Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2020, 09:56   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Road ahead for Vodafone-Idea? Posted the highest loss in Indian history of Rs 50,992 crore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xway View Post

Why are they charging 1p/sms to marketing, insurance, banks, credit card, property and so many companies ?
It's actually closer to 11p, of which TRAI takes about half.
Old 26th September 2020, 12:45   #62
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Re: Road ahead for Vodafone-Idea? Posted the highest loss in Indian history of Rs 50,992 crore

I am so glad Vodafone(-Idea) has won the case at the Hague, after winning the case in the SC (negated by the vicious & infamous retrospective taxation law).

There is a reason why tax collectors were a much hated & despised lot even in Biblical times. Even after two millennia, their despicable attitude hasn't changed one single bit.

Last edited by RSR : 26th September 2020 at 12:48.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 13:55   #63
BHPian

Govt to hold 35.8% in Vodafone Idea after board approves plan

Quote:
Vodafone Idea on Tuesday stated that the board has approved conversion of the full amount of interest related to spectrum auction instalments and AGR dues into equity. Following the conversion, the government will become the single-largest shareholder of the company with 35.8 per cent stake and the promoter shareholders would hold 28.5 per cent (Vodafone Group) and around 17.8 per cent (Aditya Birla Group), respectively.
Link

I guess this is better than letting the company tank, or a bailout?
Old 11th January 2022, 14:01   #64
Senior - BHPian

Oh, Did Vodafone suddenly become a PSU ? I don't think this is a good idea from taxpayer's perspective.
padmrajravi is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 14:45   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Oh, Did Vodafone suddenly become a PSU ? I don't think this is a good idea from taxpayer's perspective.
I believe it is a temp solution so that the company does not go belly-up and leave users in the lurch. The 35% stake should be sold away in due course. Or moved to BSNL.

Currently we have Airtel and Jio having a near duopoly. BSNL and VI are behind . One more strong player required to keep things balanced. Best would be a third independent entity with VI and retail part of BSNL.
condor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 15:10   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Currently we have Airtel and Jio having a near duopoly. ...One more strong player required to keep things balanced.
Absolutely. I've seen the difference in Airtel's service attitude pre and post-Jio. Before Jio they used to act like they were doing the customer a favour by installing their service, giving excuses like "oh we don't cover that area", now they jump pronto to the same "uncovered areas" of the city And all I need to say are the magic words "I'm not happy with the service, thinking of switching to Jio" for even the most "unsolvable" issues to get resolved. Even 2 major players in a space can collude however, so need at least a couple more to ensure that the customer gets the best service!

Last edited by am1m : 11th January 2022 at 15:12.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 10:04   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

The funny thing is that the Government has become the largest shareholder in Vodafone while BSNL languishes and is in the brink of collapse !! It saddening to think that a behemoth like BSNL is dying a slow death although the kind of reach that BSNL has, it could have been the biggest telecom provider in the country if right attitude was shown towards it.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 16:45   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I believe it is a temp solution so that the company does not go belly-up and leave users in the lurch. The 35% stake should be sold away in due course. Or moved to BSNL.

Currently we have Airtel and Jio having a near duopoly. BSNL and VI are behind . One more strong player required to keep things balanced. Best would be a third independent entity with VI and retail part of BSNL.
Agree 101%. Every infrastructure industry should, in a country like India, have one major PSU player to ensure that the less remunerative services/sectors or geographies also get covered and to keep the big private players in check. While I am a private sector votary for core areas in a country like ours with massive disparities this is needed. a PSU monopoly is a bad thing. A private sector monopoly (or duopoly) is worse.
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks