Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2020, 21:29   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
It is only an EMI Holiday and not an interest holiday.
Am not too sure about this statement. Apologies as i don't have sources that explicitly say that interests will not be charged. It would help if we can get sources that have something concrete to say about the interest charges. Till then, it's left upto what sources we read. What i read explicitly said there would be no interest charges for these 3 months and the amount to be paid (principal + interest) wouldn't change.

However if it is as you say, then it's little help for most of the borrowers.
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 22:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Covid-19: RBI allows 3 month EMI holiday, lowers interest rates & more

Well SBI is implementing automatic deferral of all EMIs without any customer having to opt in.

All EMIs on term loans automatically suspended for 3 months, clarifies SBI chief Rajnish Kumar
speedmiester is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 23:38   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Well SBI is implementing automatic deferral of all EMIs without any customer having to opt in.

All EMIs on term loans automatically suspended for 3 months, clarifies SBI chief Rajnish Kumar
Thanks for sharing this important piece of information. And just to clear the air for a few members, the SBI won't consider the credit card dues to be a part of the 3-month moratorium as they are not part of term loan. However, all retail loans including EMIs will be covered - per SBI chief Rajnish Kumar.

Last edited by Col Mehta : 27th March 2020 at 23:40.
Col Mehta is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 02:24   #19
BHPian

The RBI notification clearly says interest will be charged for the 3 month period. I have to contact my bank and make sure they are processing the EMI.

https://m.rbi.org.in/Scripts/Notific...d=11835&Mode=0

Attaching the relevant portion below
Covid-19: RBI allows 3 month EMI holiday, lowers interest rates & more-img_20200328_022149.jpg
anandhsub is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 01:36   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
The RBI notification clearly says interest will be charged for the 3 month period. I have to contact my bank and make sure they are processing the EMI.

https://m.rbi.org.in/Scripts/Notific...d=11835&Mode=0

Attaching the relevant portion below
Attachment 1984688
And here's an excerpt that says no interest will be charged during this period:

'"The moratorium on housing EMI's and deferment of interest payments by three months will give a lot of relief to consumers as they can now rearrange their finances. Loans, on the whole, will be cheaper and consumers can save money owing to the measures.* Banks will now be persuaded to lend at lower rates of interest and this will put more money in the hands of people and create a higher demand in the overall economy as consumption would go up," Surendra Hiranandani said.'

Link: https://www.indiatvnews.com/business...oan-emi-602015

The interests have also been deferred. It would be better if you consult with the banks in which the loans have been taken.

As i said in my earlier post, banks will voluntarily defer the EMI for three months and there will be no interest charged. In case any bank is charging interest, it's better to either not opt for the deferment or escalate the issue.
Old 29th March 2020, 02:24   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post

The interests have also been deferred. It would be better if you consult with the banks in which the loans have been taken.
https://m.hindustantimes.com/busines...mpression=true

It seems to me that, since the wording is not clear, you seem to have mistaken deference of interest payments of Overdraft accounts to be the deference of actual interest.

The RBI has made amply clear that interest will be charged for this 3 month moratorium. If one has an Overdraft account, they have to pay the interest at end of every month, and the payment of that interest is what has been deferred, not the actual interest. After the 3 month period, even they will have to pay off that amount.
Also, everyone knows of the bad health of our banks and they can't afford to not charge interest from loanees when they still have to pay the depositors interest for their deposits.

Last edited by rdst_1 : 29th March 2020 at 02:26.
rdst_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 10:09   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post

The RBI has made amply clear that interest will be charged for this 3 month moratorium.
In that case, shouldn't customers be contacted instead of automatically deferring EMI? Like me, there maybe others who wouldn't be in the know and end up paying more interest. Also, the bank i contacted - BoB, said they will inform me by Tuesday regarding their stand.
Thanks for sharing the link, clears things out pretty much!
abhi7013 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 11:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: Covid-19: RBI allows 3 month EMI holiday, lowers interest rates & more

Clarification from CRED regarding CC dues!

Covid-19: RBI allows 3 month EMI holiday, lowers interest rates & more-91594057_10217222532137797_6963321294641168384_n.jpg
Warwithwheels is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 09:39   #24
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Anyone aware of the reduction in home loan rates for their loans? Or its the usual way of banks just ignoring the reduction in the interest rates? My rate has been steady for the last 1 year while the RBI has reduced rates by more than 1%.
Old 31st March 2020, 10:28   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Anyone aware of the reduction in home loan rates for their loans? Or its the usual way of banks just ignoring the reduction in the interest rates? My rate has been steady for the last 1 year while the RBI has reduced rates by more than 1%.
Basically there are 2 types of Home loans at SBI/ Other major PSU Banks. One is MCLR based loan and the other is External Borrowing Rate (EBR) Based loan. For SBI the external benchmark is Repo rate which is now being cut.

For EBR Based loan, the base rate was 7.80% (after adding their risk premium) which has now become 7.05%. Meaning all those customers who had availed loans based on EBR would directly benefit from the rate cut. Typically the housing loans would now start from EBR + .10 bps i.e 7.15% for loans under INR 30 Lacs. This will become effective from next calendar quarter i.e 1st April 2020.

For MCLR Based loans, the reduction is not straightforward. Decision on MCLR will be taken when the ALCO meets in April’20.

Am not very sure how private banks like HDFC, AXIS etc., are pricing their products.

Quote:
SBI passes on entire 75 bps Repo rate cut to its borrowers
Mumbai – March 27, 2020: Responding to RBI’s extraordinary monetary policy measures to support the wider economy, SBI passes on the entire 75 bps Repo rate cut to its borrowers availing loans linked to External Benchmark linked lending rate (EBR) as well as Repo Linked Lending rate (RLLR). With this revision, SBI’s EBR & RLLR come down by 75 bps, w.e.f 01st April’ 2020 as under:
ü EBR reduced to 7.05% p.a from 7.80% p.a.
ü RLLR reduced to 6.65% p.a from 7.40% p.a,
Consequently, EMIs on eligible Home Loan accounts (linked to EBR/RLLR) get cheaper by around Rs 52 per 1 lakh on a 30 year loan.
Source: https://www.facebook.com/notes/state...5251563525620/

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 31st March 2020 at 10:29.
Warwithwheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 10:47   #26
BHPian

This is a classic case of Capitalist mindset hindering/hampering Humanitarian efforts.

If read and understood in spirit, it is all but clear what the RBI intends to achieve by allowing this EMI holiday, but the banks prefer to play the fool and are searching for verbatim and legalities therein to confuse customers, scare people and eventually turn out the winner.

They miss the point that humanity is the overall loser here.

All major banks can afford to implement this scheme but they chose to play around with words.
If interest needs to be charged so be it, it can also be Simple Interest which should be the norm during times of such calamities but no they are calculating Compounding interest on outstanding amount.

Lack of empathy and shamelessly making money during a time of crisis.

Last edited by Trojan : 31st March 2020 at 11:15.
Trojan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 12:53   #27
Senior - BHPian

SBI has done it. Their website reflects the latest rates

Covid-19: RBI allows 3 month EMI holiday, lowers interest rates & more-screenshot-20200331-12.52.07-pm.png

https://www.sbi.co.in/web/interest-r...-rates-current

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 31st March 2020 at 12:57.
Warwithwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 15:59   #28
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hopefully other banks follow the lead by SBI.

https://www.rediff.com/business/repo...s/20200331.htm

The article above says that most banks are coming up with excuses for the EMI moratorium.
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 16:28   #29
BHPian

Link to IDBI website and well explained FAQ, it is quite clear:

https://www.idbibank.in/faq-covid-installment.asp

Screenshot from their twitter handle:

Covid-19: RBI allows 3 month EMI holiday, lowers interest rates & more-screenshot_20200331162015_twitter.jpg
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 16:35   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Link to IDBI website and well explained FAQ, it is quite clear
Thanks, so it’s automatic like what SBI is doing ( heard on TV). Have the announced what will be ROI in the delayed EMi? Will it be same like existing and they simply change the loan period ?
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks