Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2020, 12:00   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Delhi or Bangalore? Dilemma over shifting & settling down

Apart from a sentimental attachment to Bangalore and the weather(which is debatable), I don't see any other real reason for you to settle in Bangalore. Yes, the weather, although not as great is it was earlier, is still mostly fantastic when compared to a lot of other metro cities- But I don't see that as a deal breaker for Delhi.

Not sure on what basis you have come to the conclusion that better schools are in Bangalore. Sure, Bangalore has tons of schools including very niche International Schools- But again, I don't see that as a reason to be in Bangalore.

Also keep in mind, to meet your ideal living condition of a house in a nice green area of Bangalore with parks around and close to the popular old time schools would mean a very heavy monetary investment- As you already mentioned, Bangalore is not cheap.

Edit: As someone mentioned above, if you have the flexibility to chose, why not a Tier 2 City not too far from the Tier 1 Metros. Mysore and Coimbatore come to mind from the south.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 30th March 2020 at 12:04.
Rajeevraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 14:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
If you can manage & your wife's transfer allows that - go live in Mysore. It has all the charm that Bangalore used to have a decade ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
As someone mentioned above, if you have the flexibility to chose, why not a Tier 2 City not too far from the Tier 1 Metros. Mysore and Coimbatore come to mind from the south.
Since a couple of people have mentioned Mysore, I thought I'd add my opinion. The first and foremost reason is that it doesn't have a proper airport and therefore no air connectivity. Since OP is a frequent flyer, Mysore is automatically ruled out. Also, I am not sure if Mysore has the quality of schools as Delhi or Bangalore, which is also a major requirement.

My suggestion is to stay in Delhi itself. As per the given criteria, there is no compelling reason to move to Bangalore.

Also, what are your family/wife's thoughts on this?
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 21:27   #18
BHPian

Gentlemen, thank you very much for your replies. Let me respond to them one by one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Bangalore looks a little towards sentimental reasons.

Only thing I can think of is the posting location for your wife. She could take the promotion and that may decide things for you.
Yes Bangalore is always going to be a place i want to go and settle down in. The thing with the wife's transfer is that i can nudge it to remain in Delhi or go to Bangalore and hence the dilemma in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
As things stand today Delhi has consistently improved in infrastructure last 25 years while BLR has steadily gone south versus population growth.

Don't burden a small kid with a commute. Don't burden yourself with a commute either.

Best of luck.
Yes sir, Delhi will always have the better infra. And no i do not plan to saddle my son with a commute. As far as schools go, i am looking at a very particular type; regardless, whether we stay in Delhi or Bangalore we have made careful plans where he and his school is concerned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Regarding the Bengaluru weather, its April and its still not bad!

Only worry is the traffic which you can decide on how and where your commutes will be. Schools are not an issue since you will find a good one everywhere.
I have heard the horror of the weather from my good friend who works in that large hospital on Bannerghatta road. Even if it is not 40, 38 is bad enough!

Agreed that commuting will need to be planned but in Bangalore that will only affect my wife more as i have a setup already and i will simply move it to my new residence so zero commute for me. In Delhi i have to commute but it is a mostly pleasant affair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Even more so now, when CR park to Airport is signal free drive
Heck, it's the location of the Bangalore airport that should be more of a concern to a frequent flier.
Hehehe. I got stuck 3 times in a span of two months and i missed my flights; but that has more to do with my last minute rushes rather than the VVIP movements heehee.

BIAL has always been a point of concern ever since the airport was moved soooooo bloody far away! It was so much better when it was on HAL road!
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Where you are originally from could be a deciding factor.

AND, there is nothing like settling down in your home town.
For me to even say where i am from needs me to think. I was born and grew up till the age of 10 in Guwahati. Then i got shipped off to a boarding school and i have had the good fortune to study and grow in many places, including some stints abroad.

Many places = many languages and cultures and that has made me a ployglot. I have worked in India and outside and i realise that i can be comfortable in almost any place in the world.

If i let my emotions get the better of me, i would be torn between living in Paris or Vienna or Florence!!

Agreed there is no place like home but i find myself without that pull of my home town; perhaps when i am a bit older and wiser maybe it will happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
As much as I hate it(not the life, but people getting too comfortable and cocooned), try living in one of the modern apartment complexes with some great greenery and recreational facilities. While Delhi does have good schools, I think there more good international schools in Bangalore than anywhere else in India.
No siree. I am not inclined to stay in apartment complexes, i would rather pay more money and have my own house, yard and gate. Do not ask me why but that is the way it is.

The nearest i can come to an apartment complex living is what i am doing in Delhi now: an entire floor of a house and a 2 car covered garage with a gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
My recommendation is Bangalore from your choices.

If you are willing to consider other metros I'd recommend Mumbai. I stay in Mumbai now and I really love the city. South Bombay is great. I think you will have the best of both Delhi and Bangalore in Mumbai minus the pollution.
Agreed winters are horrible in Delhi and air cleaners work overtime in the house and cars, but the temperature does not get to me; i like cold better anyday.

I will have to stay for longer periods in Bombay to get a taste of the place. So far it has always been fly in, 2/3 days of meetings in Bombay and Pune and fly out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Rest all parameters, Delhi trumps Bangalore by far.
Yes, i am slowly coming round to the same conclusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
Yes, Delhi is polluted, but not throughout the year! ...as soon as spring comes, there is drastic drop in PM2.5.

- go live in Mysore. It has all the charm that Bangalore used to have a decade ago.
Thank you for the idea, but my frequent flying requires me to be in a city with a major air hub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post
But after this period you will start seeing daily showers and the winter is also beautiful.

All it takes is route and time planning.
..the city is brilliant.
Hehehe i used to take a back route that was signal free from my house in BSK 3rd stage all the way to HSR layout! It did involve a bit (50m) of wrong side riding under the Silk board flyover which was not frowned upon. So that is not a problem.

The city has always been brilliant but now i cannot look at it in isolation any more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Apart from a sentimental attachment to Bangalore and the weather(which is debatable).

Not sure on what basis you have come to the conclusion that better schools are in Bangalore. Sure, Bangalore has tons of schools including very niche International Schools.

..to meet your ideal living condition of a house in a nice green area of Bangalore with parks around and close to the popular old time schools would mean a very heavy monetary investment.

..why not a Tier 2 City not too far from the Tier 1 Metros. Mysore and Coimbatore come to mind from the south.
Bangalore is always going to be sentimental for me and i cannot help it.

International schools at single digit ranks are more in Bangalore but that alone cannot be a reason for moving as i have come to realise after going through all the posts here.

Acquiring a house in south Bangalore is not that much of an issue for me. I am open to rented accommodations and if the price is right, i am open to buying it outright.

Tier 2 cities are out since i have to fly frequently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Also, what are your family/wife's thoughts on this?
That is where the trouble is! Wife has simply shifted the mountain onto my shoulders "do what you think is best" and walked off. Parents and in laws are fine wherever we shift to as long as they can fly in to come visit.

Last edited by N33raj : 6th April 2020 at 21:32. Reason: Spacing and paragraphs.
N33raj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 22:12   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

I have my very own thread on this forum from 2019 on the pain of getting lots of offers from Bangalore, but woe betide, for I'm a Chennaite.

Long story short - I've decided to stay put in Chennai, while remaining open to Hyderabad or other similar cities. What helped me make up my mind were first-hand instances of people taking forever to travel down a single road in Bangalore (there's a real-life example from this very forum of a member's kid living in her college's hostel only 10 Km away from home, because the commute would take 3 hours!) I know i'm foregoing a lot of career progress, but I can't live in a city where the tail (i.e., traffic) wags the dog.
locusjag is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 01:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

I look at it from the negatives to decide.

Bangalore is more expensive, traffic is worse, you need to travel 20 days in a month and home (Guwahati) is further away.

Delhi has two major negatives. It is more polluted and it isn't as safe.

My personal opinion is Bangalore is the better city for you, even if you need to travel more. Leaving your wife and kids alone is better in Bangalore and at the end of the day you want a better environment to live in
pganapathy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 12:09   #21
BHPian

Never lived in Delhi so can't compare.
But the point about Bangalore climate being bad is relative. A person who lived in Bangalore in 90s might feel it, but compared to any other big city, Bangalore climate is still pleasant. Except March - May, climate here is excellent.
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 12:09   #22
BHPian

I have stayed for over 5 years in Bangalore & over 8 years in NCR so can give you a balanced opinion. Basis your statements, it feels quite natural that you would want to settle down in Delhi. The location you are currently residing at (CR Park) is one of the best localities in Delhi & you need not worry about VVIP movements.

Agreed that Bangalore has better weather but considering your wife's job is in Delhi & your work takes you here often, the weather won't be that big a thing for you to choose a city, plus the good weather equalizes terrible traffic so that evens it out. Delhi summers are harsh but winters are beautiful. Add to that the average size of houses in Delhi/NCR is larger than any other metros (IMHO).

Add to that, On-Road price of cars comes out to be cheaper in Delhi so that's a win for a TBHP member!
Lazy Driver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 13:05   #23
BHPian

I lived in Bangalore for about 15 years and then relocated out unwillingly as parents were uninterested to come to Bangalore. Only after I left Bangalore, I realised how bad the Bangalore traffic situation is, even though I was spending close to three hours on road everyday. I can never go back to Bangalore now.

The traffic is such a big problem not just for daily office commute but also for emergency hospital visits, with old people and babies at home. It is not an uncommon sight to find ambulances stuck in Bangalore traffic.

Traffic alone is a reason why you should consider Delhi more than Bangalore. The Bangalore traffic situation is not going to improve any time in the near future (No usable metro routes, narrow roads that cannot expand, lack of proper sanitation/rainwater in most of the city, bad BMTC public transport, etc.). A tier 2 city with better air connectivity (May be Coimbatore, Kochi, etc.) could be a better choice. Also if you are a frequent flier, to travel between Bangalore airport and Bangalore itself will be a big pain.
psankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 13:17   #24
BHPian

This will be a very biased opinion, but hope it helps.

I grew up in Jayanagar and JP Nagar. Much like you, I decided to quit cold turkey and move back to India to live with my parents a year ago after living outside for 15 years. My parents moved to North of Bangalore past Hebbal Circle towards airport about 13 years ago.

We are very social and love exploring outside. After I moved back I have been enjoying exploring the city and outskirts of Bangalore including hiking, driving out to hilly areas or beaches on the weekends or just spending a nice day in a scenic spot. And we have friends with kids and they have great time with the kid as well. It depends on the weather of course, but there's always something to do around here. And living right next to the highway that goes to the airport in 30 to 45 mins helps for frequent travels.

I have only been twice to Delhi, once in May when the heat was unbearable and once in December when I couldn't imagine stepping out without a mask. But, when it comes to food, Delhi beats most cities hands down.

The traffic is crazy in Bangalore, but I try to work around it few times. But every once in a while I get stuck in it and hate it for what Bangalore has become.

Apart from commute and schools, I do value my social life and would still pick Bangalore over any other city in India.
pradeepkc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 13:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

People who think weather is getting worse in Bengaluru should come and live here during the hottest days i.e April and May. We still have 32 with night 22. Only a couple of days the temperature goes high and it rains and it cools down. In another 20 days, we have monsoon and summer is done. (even if it doesnt rain, it will be breezy and cloudy).

Where you choose to live has more than just weather. But just thought will clarify this aspect. Thinks written online gets amplified and becomes the gospel. Traffic is the biggest pain point and it can be avoided based on where you choose to live or where your office is.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 14:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

I have friends from Delhi who are miserable here in Bangalore. They reminisce about the good Delhi food, the good life, well managed traffic, Kejriwal's goodness/generosity etc. Once a Delhiiite, always a Delhiiite. So I think Bangalore wouldn't be the good choice for you.
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 14:40   #27
BHPian

I have lived in both cities - 10 yrs in Bangalore and 5 yrs in Delhi. Here are a few pointers:
1) The roads in Delhi are better
2) The weather in Bangalore is better
3) The education standard in both cities is world class, Bangalore has more international schools though
4) Bangalore is more digitized - there’s a web service and associated app for everything one can imagine. Delhi is not far behind, but Bangalore has been a trail-blazer.
5) Bangalore is more professional. For example, I’d prefer talking with the Bangalore police compared to Delhi police personnel.
6) Delhi has a fantastic road-side eating culture, especially north indian food
7) Bangalore offers more international cuisines than anywhere else in India
8) Both cities have enough amenities, leisure spots, and upmarket places.
9) Food wise Delhi is cheaper, whereas, real state cost is less in Bangalore. However, more or less you end up spending the same money. For example, a levi’s jeans would cost the same, a haircut at an international chain is same, the car service package is almost the same.
10) Delhi has more decluttered spaces than Bangalore
11) Bangalore doesn’t have a very dominant flavor/culture, for me, that’s a good thing but can vary from person to person.
12) Delhi has better international connectivity
13) Compared to Bangalore, Delhi is less considerate towards women. Objectifying women is more common in Delhi
14) Delhi has more old-world rustic charm - a number of old govt buildings, old bazaars.

My personal opinion:
I have a family with a young daughter, would like her to grow up in Bangalore rather than Delhi. It’s more safe, women-friendly, and more rounded.
Ashish0485 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 15:22   #28
BHPian

I'm a proud Delhiite, so I will try to avoid any pretense of being unbiased and simply make the case for Delhi.

Also, many great points have been raised thus far. I will avoid any redundancy unless I see the need for emphasis.

1. The air quality is in fact not so bad throughout the year. I'm an avid watcher of the Delhi Pollution Control Committee's data, and it's only around winter when crop burning + diwali + low temps bring high concentrations of pm2.5 that the air quality becomes hazardous. If you click here you may generate a graph of hourly pollution (amongst other things) data. If you check out this exact week last year, you will see that during the day the pollution is actually quite low (well within healthy margins). It's even better during springtime and especially monsoon when ACs are off and rain knocks some of the particulate matter out of the air.

2. I am not particularly acquainted with Bangalore schools but I assure you that Delhi, especially so South Delhi, is chock full of some world class schools. Not only that, Delhi, perhaps due to its being a city with many scholars (some of the best institutes in the country are here), generally fosters an academic culture in the schools. Delhi's great performance in national testing is to the extent that we receive separate question sets in many national examinations (including CBSE, so beware of number based rankings as a 95% in the Delhi CBSE =/= 95% somewhere else).

3. Tying into the last bit, being in Delhi also would grant your kid access to in-state seats in some of the better institutes in the country.

4. From the non-political perspective of a resident, Delhi's government is quite competent. I wouldn't say our CM is a visionary or anything of that sort, but he is quite good as far as politicians go. I would characterize the governance as solid and active. In fact, even regarding the CoViD out break it is a point of note that Delhi has a much more comprehensive testing policy than other states, which shows in high testing rates: as of May 1 ~2500 out of a million Delhiites have been tested for the virus thus far, as opposed to 1000 for KA as of today. (The average by state is roughly 900). And even still, the percentage of positive tests are ~8% which is about double the average, so these extra tests seem to be being deployed properly.

5. The weather in Delhi may seem daunting when you see the numbers, but the truth is it's quite easy to get used to. Delhi has a dry heat (although this year has been uncharacteristically humid and rainy) so you don't sweat a lot, and if you are busy with some work you do not feel the heat. (Trust me, I have taken many mock tests and exams in 45 degree weather). If anything it is the cold during the winters which is more noticeable. (Perhaps there's some recency bias there since we've just come off our second coldest winter recorded). Monsoon has quick bursts of rain rather than continuous downpour, so your plans for the day need not be ruined.

6. There is a sense of community. Not so sure about BLR but I imagine as a city largely populated by professionals it is probably less homely than Delhi.

7. Delhi has great and affordable public transport. (Again, mock test analogy: I have publicly been transported to many a mock test in my day and it is almost as quick as driving, and there is great coverage).

Given all these points (and of course the ones I have not mentioned/emphasized) plus the reports in this thread of the downturn of the living situation in Bangalore, well... maybe I'll see you around sometime
chieftain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 16:09   #29
BHPian

My 2 cents : I have been in Bangalore for the last 13 years and 2 years in Delhi prior to Bangalore.

The Big negative for me in Delhi is the weather and more recently pollution. In Bangalore it is traffic. Bangalore may also be slightly cheaper as you can get a villa on the suburbs for the price of a big apartment in Delhi.

But, coming to your personal decision, it depends a lot on the specifics. For example if your Wife’s office is the North Bangalore side, towards Hebbal then you can get a relatively decent property , find a good school as well as reach airport quickly and traffic will not be an issue as you won’t hit silkboard or KR Puram junctions. However if your wife’s office is on MG Road, Son studies in Sarjapura road then it is super inconvenient for all.. so please take a call on how your specific situation pans out in either of these cities rather than the merits of the cities itself, except for things like air pollution off course .
charanreddy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 16:28   #30
BHPian

Delhi it is in your case, though my choice will be Bangalore. If i had a business i would think of a place like Dehradun, for its clean calm vibes plus abundance of nature and wildlife. I think one should give life a second chance, closer to nature and away from a predictable city life. Dehradun is only few hours away from Delhi (shatabdi) and half an hour by flight.
nandadevieast is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks