Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2020, 01:46   #31

Re: The Comic Books Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
One question for all book & Comic book lovers.

What is the best way to avoid termite infestation.
I managed to lose a lot of my fiction book sets due to a wet wall which caused termite infestation. And have bought those books on Kindle now.

I would love to buy all the books as posted by forum member chase_nt (The Comic Books Thread) but I am scared of termites.

Thanks in advance.
In order to keep your comics safe you need to bag and board them. Here's an example of comic book bags and boards that you can buy

https://www.amazon.com/BCW-Current-C...%2C1135&sr=8-2

These are available on Amazon India as well (once they recommence operations)

Please keep in mind the size of your comics when ordering bags and boards because they come in different sizes.

Also you should consider buying comic book storage bins or long / short boxes for storing your comics instead of keeping them on a book shelf examples given below.

https://www.amazon.com/Short-Comic-B...s%2C578&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Collectible-C...%2C578&sr=8-10
Old 14th April 2020, 08:36   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombayDragon View Post
In order to keep your comics safe you need to bag and board them.
These are available on Amazon India as well
Please keep in mind the size of your comics when ordering bags and boards because they come in different sizes.
Also you should consider buying comic book storage bins or long / short boxes for storing your comics instead of keeping them on a book shelf examples given below.
@BombayDragon - First up, sorry for the late reply.
Thank you very much for linking to the Amazon pages of the various items you have suggested.
I will be definitely buying the comic bin for my comics & "100 BCW Current Comic Book Bags and Boards"
In the olden times, we had a Staples in a mall in our city and we would get these massive plastic storage bins.
I am thinking of investing in a few of them that will easily go under my bed and shift my books and comics into them.
Something like this. Aristo Container Box with wheels.

As member deathwalkr previously has suggested in post #21, I will also get moisture absorbers for the box.
Now we wait for the lockdown to end.
Old 19th March 2021, 12:09   #33
BHPian

Planning to get some books for my kids aged 9. They do read Tintin, Asterix, ACK etc.

Planning to get some new titles. Any suggestions for some clean fun. I am not updated with latest releases. I do see some titles like Captain Underpants etc.
Any reviews or suggestions will be most welcome
rajesh1868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 13:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

Calvin & Hobbes, Garfield, Phantom?

I am also old school and have no clue about new comic book heroes

My 11yr old daughter spends more time reading novels and less time with comics.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 13:49   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Calvin & Hobbes, Garfield, Phantom?

I am also old school and have no clue about new comic book heroes

My 11yr old daughter spends more time reading novels and less time with comics.
They do read Calvin. But I guess it is enjoyed better by grown ups. Not yet liking super hero stuffs.

This also brings another question. If you are a fan of Tintin and Asterix, what other similar books will you like?
Old 19th March 2021, 13:54   #36
Senior - BHPian

Growing up in the 80s, it was all Tinkle and Indrajal Comics. I still have a huge lot of those comics bound over at my parent's house.

Then Asterix and Tintin, Then novels.

Donald Duck, Laurel & Hardy, Mickey Mouse, Richie Rich, Casper, Tarzan, Phantom, Flash, Mandrake, Bahadur etc etc. Oh such joy

You could try the Artemis Fowl graphic novels.

My daughter is running through my Thor collection now.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 14:05   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
Planning to get some books for my kids aged 9. They do read Tintin, Asterix, ACK etc.

Planning to get some new titles. Any suggestions for some clean fun. I am not updated with latest releases. I do see some titles like Captain Underpants etc.
If you are open to novels, check out the Geronimo Stilton series. I used to read them as a child. The stories are pretty close to those of Astrix and Tintin and they do have quite a few pictures and maps to make it interesting. Perfect for your kids in my opinion.
Eshan Joshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 14:16   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshan Joshi View Post
If you are open to novels, check out the Geronimo Stilton series.

Yes, forgot to add that. They do like Geronimo Stilton.
rajesh1868 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 17:36   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, forgot to add that. They do like Geronimo Stilton.
If they like Geronimo, try the Uncle Leo series. This is by an Israeli writer called Yannets Levi and there are 6 books in the series. The format of the book is similar to Geronimo. Buy one and see if your kids like it.
yosbert is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 18:21   #40
BHPian

Quote:

Geronimo Stilton is amazing! I loved reading them when I was 9. But my parents were worried that it would spoil my spelling — because the author has intentionally misspelled certain words - EnormousE, MOuseum, FamousE (the characters are mice).

They have comics and graphic novels too besides their regular novels.

I strongly recommend these for your nine-year-old kids.

Since you have mentioned that they love these already, here are my other recommendations —

Graphic Novels - You should let them read more Graphic Novels instead of comics as they grow up.

◘ This is a good time to introduce them to classics. There must be a few graphic novels that have simplified language. Start with something short, like Black Beauty. I loved reading classics when I was a kid.

◘ Get them to read black and white short novelettes instead of comics that have little or no pictures. I would recommend Enid Blyton’s Famous Five. Even the A-Z Mysteries series is great. If you don’t, they might never find joy in novels later on, and would continue reading picture books.

Indian History books from ACK - Get them interested in India’s heritage.

They can read Artemis Fowl and TinTin an year later.

Last edited by EightSix : 19th March 2021 at 18:28. Reason: Removed some recommendations because they don’t fit 9 year olds
EightSix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 20:42   #41
BHPian

Quote:

Where are you getting Tintin books? Are these the original large comics ?
Avinash_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 21:20   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
Where are you getting Tintin books? Are these the original large comics ?
Both individual large ones and the shorter 3 story hardcover volumes are available in Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
If they like Geronimo, try the Uncle Leo series. This is by an Israeli writer called Yannets Levi and there are 6 books in the series. The format of the book is similar to Geronimo. Buy one and see if your kids like it.
Thanks. Will add to the list

Last edited by rajesh1868 : 19th March 2021 at 21:24.
Old 22nd March 2021, 18:05   #43
BHPian

I was trying to get my hands on the Marvel Epic Collection books. Any pointers on where I can source them from? I am aware of instocktrades, but not sure about how the shipping to India works out. Any help or pointers on this will be greatly appreciated.
Old 22nd March 2021, 18:26   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was trying to get my hands on the Marvel Epic Collection books. Any pointers on where I can source them from? I am aware of instocktrades, but not sure about how the shipping to India works out. Any help or pointers on this will be greatly appreciated.
Check out Blossoms bookstore on Church Street. They have a big collection of classic comics. You can also see if they can source any specific titles for you.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 22:38   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are the ones on Amazon what you are looking for? See a lot of them from 1000 odd bucks to upwards of 10,000 rupees as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks