Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2020, 05:53   #1
BHPian

Bugatti launches a wristwatch with a functioning W16 engine inside!

Timeless Bugatti, literally: $280,000 watch gets a functioning W16 engine inside

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...504651473.html

Request to admins/mods : I apologise for not being able to post this under an appropriate thread as I could not figure out what thread would be most suitable. I request you to kindly move this under an appropriate thread or make it a separate topic or news item as you see fit
Chhanda Das is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 09:21   #2
BHPian

re: Bugatti launches a wristwatch with a functioning W16 engine inside!

I was fully expecting satire reading the title and then I saw the price. "hmmm, that's cheap as hell for a Bugatti with a fancy Patek Philippe or whatever" and then I realized it's actually a wristwatch. The times we live in.
createrkid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 07:52   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bugatti launches a wristwatch with a functioning W16 engine inside!

That is pretty damn cool! What innovation. Here are two videos:

GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 09:35   #4
Team-BHP Support

You know what, its cool all right, but I was disappointed that its not a gasoline powered watch. That would have been really awesome. Having a wristwatch running on gasoline. Something like - 100 hours on a full tank of jet turbine fuel
tsk1979 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 10:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhanda Das View Post
Timeless Bugatti, literally: $280,000 watch gets a functioning W16 engine inside...
Having looked at the video of the watch, while the concept is praiseworthy and unique, the mechanicals are rather simple (in relative terms of a watch).

Its just that the watch mechanical windings are turning the crank shaft and in turn moving the pistons in and out in a rather reverse way. In a real engine, it would be the pistons driving the shaft.

Unless Bugatti has a patent that prevents other watch makers from making a similar concept watch, one can expect cheap Chinese replicas of the same real soon

PS: Just putting my thoughts about the watch without intending to offend anyone.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 12th April 2020 at 10:10.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 11:54   #6
BHPian

Cool watch, although it’s a mimic the precision engineering is super cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You know what, its cool all right, but I was disappointed that its not a gasoline powered watch. That would have been really awesome. Having a wristwatch running on gasoline. Something like - 100 hours on a full tank of jet turbine fuel
Your comment reminds me of “Tether” cars (link). A hobby of 1920s. These cars have miniature IC engines. Some of these are insane, a 1.5cc tether car holds a record 268 kmph.

Generally we discuss bigger and bigger engines, while there is an equally interesting world in the other direction.

Here is an example of a functional V32, a mere 47.5 cc
Thermodynamics is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 15:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Bugatti Watch with tiny working W16 Engine gets four more versions.

Bugatti launches a wristwatch with a functioning W16 engine inside!-updatedjacobco.bugattichirontourbillonwatch.jpg

Bugatti launches a wristwatch with a functioning W16 engine inside!-updatedjacobco.bugattichirontourbillonwatch-2.jpg

Bugatti launches a wristwatch with a functioning W16 engine inside!-updatedjacobco.bugattichirontourbillonwatch-4.jpg

Bugatti launches a wristwatch with a functioning W16 engine inside!-updatedjacobco.bugattichirontourbillonwatch-3.jpg

Bugatti launches a wristwatch with a functioning W16 engine inside!-updatedjacobco.bugattichirontourbillonwatch-1.jpg

Quote:
Limited to 72 pieces, first new option comes with an 18-karat Rose Gold case, with a special anti-reflective sapphire crystal, an 18-karat Rose Gold open caseback, and black DLC titanium crowns and pushers embossed with the Bugatti logo. The second option is similar, but adorned with sparkling white diamonds and limited to 52 pieces only.

another version showered with 391 black and white diamonds (around 20 carats), accentuating the 18-karat white gold case. Its rubber strap comes with a white gold buckle with 18 white diamonds, around 1.76 carats.

Other one made of a solid block of sapphire crystal with a sapphire crystal caseback, using sapphire crystals for the crowns and pushers, and secured on the wrist by a rubber strap with a titanium buckle clasp.
Source

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks