Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2020, 09:49   #1
BHPian

My Netflix account got hacked

Hello All,

I started using Netflix this month and got a 30 days trial. I provided my email and bank debit card number. The trial was supposed to end on 20th. However today morning I was not able to watch the episodes. Then I checked my email where I had three mails where my email id was changed and plan changed to Premium. I contacted the help (via chat) and I was asked email and name. As they were not able to check using my email, they asked to give my debit card number (in chat) for which I grew suspicious. The window where I can enter number looks safe (encrypted) though. Should I give my number now?

The chat agent told me someone has accessed my account and they need my card details now.

The question is even if someone accesses my login to Netflix (email/password) can they change my email in the databases?

I have to give my card number now otherwise whoever has accessed my account will able to continue as I have not cancelled the subscription.
AltoLXI is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 10:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: My Netflix account got hacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
The question is even if someone accesses my login to Netflix (email/password) can they change my email in the databases?
Very easy. My Fitbit was hacked and email (used for login) changed; same with my wife's Prime account. In her case, the Amazon Pay balance was used up as well. It took two weeks almost in both cases for them to restore the accounts, post their investigation.
libranof1987 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 10:19   #3
Team-BHP Support

As long as you don't give your CVV number and expiry date, I think they(Netflix chat) will not be able to misuse your card.

If you still want to be safe:
Has a debit happened to your bank yet? If not, why don't you call your bank and ask them how to cancel the Netflix subscription? They may have a way to block the payment from going through.
graaja is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 10:44   #4
BHPian

They want to know your card number to verify your identity, that's all. Without expiry date, CVV or billing address, they wouldn't be able to misuse it.

Since it is a debit card, better get the card blocked immediately to prevent any more misuse by the hacker.
civic-sense is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 10:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

I started using Netflix this month and got a 30 days trial. I provided my email and bank debit card number. The trial was supposed to end on 20th. However today morning I was not able to watch the episodes. Then I checked my email where I had three mails where my email id was changed and plan changed to Premium. I contacted the help (via chat) and I was asked email and name. As they were not able to check using my email, they asked to give my debit card number (in chat) for which I grew suspicious. The window where I can enter number looks safe (encrypted) though. Should I give my number now?

The chat agent told me someone has accessed my account and they need my card details now.

I have to give my card number now otherwise whoever has accessed my account will able to continue as I have not cancelled the subscription.
Netflix is notorious for this. A cursory search online will reveal many such cases.

In your case, since this was a trial, I suggest the following:
1) Do not share the card info with Netflix support
2) Inform your bank and block this card so that there are no fraudulent charges on this card.
3) Create a new account on Netflix if you would like to continue and link your phone number as well to ensure easier recovery.

See this link for more information on securing your account and also checking for fraudulent activity. Sad that a company like Netflix doesnt do more to improve its security practices.
https://www.techjunkie.com/netflix-g...changed-email/

Good luck!!!
Lalvaz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 11:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Has a debit happened to your bank yet?
No debit has occurred. It should happen on 20th if I continue subscription.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Since it is a debit card, better get the card blocked immediately to prevent any more misuse by the hacker.
Probably the hacker got access to login details but not the card number. So should I still block my card?

Update:

Gave my debit card number via chat. The agent also asked me to give new email which I provided. He told me I will receive the link on new mail to reset password and provide last 8 digits to rest. I suppose he entered the last 8 digits himself as I got to change only the password. He asked me to set the mobile number which I did. He removed all the profiles and asked to add new ones.

Account is back again.

Last edited by AltoLXI : 18th April 2020 at 11:13.
AltoLXI is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 11:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

I was a netflix susbscriber but was watching less and less of it but the monthly autorenewals continued this made me cancel the subscription. Because of this lockdown I restarted the susbscription to catch up with some new content but did not want the hassle of auto renewals so this time I created and used a virtual card with just enough balance to cover for a month's subscription.

So for people who can be bothered with manual renewals when needed I suggest this method and if the subscription get hacked nothing to worry much either. For me netflix gets boring real quick to keep me subscribed.
Sankar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 11:26   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

This exact thing happened to me a month or so ago. My netflix account got hacked and password changed. Before I could generate password recovery (this is in the space of less than an hour), they had shockingly changed my email ID too.

So I had no way to access the account at all. I had to call up the India phone helpline. The lady was very helpful and she immediately assisted me in manually recovering my account and restoring my original email with a new password that I could set up. I have been on paid service for a while now (unlike your case).. I don't recall having to give any of my card details.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 11:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Same thing happened to me a year ago. My Netflix account got hacked and I had used my primary debit card with my son's marriage around the corner in Mar '19, I was left running around for a fresh debit card after I blocked my debit card. The Netflix account was retrieved by my son using his account. After that deactivated my account and am using my son's account.
Durango Dude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 11:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Account is back again.

I would suggest couple of things:
1. Never use debit card for such purposes. A credit card is always more safer to use than a debit card. If you don't have a credit card, you should get one whenever you can.
2. Remove debit card information form the account to prevent any future misuse, if possible. You can consider blocking it too but it will not be easy to get a new card right now with the lockdown.
SilentEngine is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 11:58   #11
BHPian

Same thing happened with me too, around an year ago. They deducted the money after a month(forgot to cancel after trial) but I cancelled after another month of usage. Assuming it was done, got a message after another 4 months that my credit card has been debited for certain amount for the payment of Netflix. I immediately called them and had it refunded(took around a month). The customer service themselves told me to block the card and I had to get a new credit card because of this issue. Never used Netflix again as a simple google search told me there are many with the same issue of account getting hacked. Surprised to learn that its still happening and they arent doing a thing to stop it.
Xaos636 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 11:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Do you think you can trust them and share debit card details when the relationship is still in trial stage? Within one month if your account can be hacked, do you think their systems are secured enough to trust?

I would forget all other reviews. Credibility of the company as seen by others are secondary. For me, it is my experience that counts and creates an impression and trust about the company

If my experience with them does not build trust, would immediately cancel the transactions and end relationship

This is purely my approach. No offense to anyone
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 12:06   #13
BHPian

First of all, your account was not really hacked in the sense that you think. You probably used a very weak password and the password is there somewhere on the internet which they obtained in some list of passwords file and it may be from your some other account. Then they ran a program and tried your that password on netflix and it worked. So that account was then sold to someone for a dollar or two and since you said your email id was changed, good chance the account was sold with email access, which basically means your Netflix and Email, both passwords are compromised.

This usually occurs because people tend to use same / similar and simple alphanumeric passwords on websites and running a brute force on them is pretty simple. There are numerous black hat websites on the internet which sell user ids and password for almost every service you can think of....Netflix, Zee5, ALT Balaji, HBO Now, Sling TV, most US services, VPN services etc.

Use password managers like Lastpass etc and make super difficult and max size password with symbols and all and have new password for each website so even if one is compromised, others are still safe but with common password used, one leak means potentially multiple accounts are compromised.
raksrules is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 12:18   #14
BHPian

Looks like a lot of Netflix subscribers have faced this issue. Thanks for sharing.

A useful tip (suggested by a colleague); pickup a credit card with lowest credit limit, something like 40k. Use that as a beater card for everything, online shopping, swiping in shops, gas stations etc., and save your peace as the stakes aren’t high.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 18th April 2020 at 12:21.
Thermodynamics is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 12:58   #15
BHPian

Hi AltoLxi, I suggest that you let go of the 700 or 800 rupees for the month and cancel the subscription immediately, you'll be billed only once at the end of the month and thats it. Then be sure to delete your pre saved car details on the account (if applicable in your case). I'm saying this because in case anything goes wrong, you'll find difficulty in managing the situation during this lockdown period where there's limited staff on duty .

Ps: Is Netflix still offering 1 month free subscription. I wanted to make a new account and avail this to watch 2-3 movies (as I found rest of the content useless) but from what I understood is that it's not there because they launched a cheaper 199 plan for mobile devices.
Storm2.0 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks