Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Whats your vehicle drive type?
All wheel drive 25 39.68%
Front wheel drive 12 19.05%
rear wheel drive 33 52.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2009, 13:26   #31
BHPian

AWD for me anyday. traction is too good to ignore. RWD has to be backed up with a killer handling package.
Old 21st May 2009, 13:36   #32
BHPian

RWD for me for the sheer fun of wrangling the monster trying to go sideways, its more like riding the rodeo bull, AWD for a more controlled racing experience, it is more like a a horse race, with better control over the car at greater speeds, gives you enough rush, but has lesser surprises to throw at the driver.
Old 21st May 2009, 14:29   #33
BANNED

In terms of performance and safety it will be AWD, RWD, FWD. In terms of packaging (best utilization of space) FWD is the runaway winner.
Old 21st May 2009, 15:59   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
In terms of performance and safety it will be AWD, RWD, FWD.
In terms of safety, the order should be AWD, FWD and RWD.
Old 21st May 2009, 19:18   #35
Senior - BHPian

Voted for AWD.
Considering the sudden manoeuvrings we have to do everywhere, be it city or highway, the sudden patch with sand or dirt and the Indian road conditions in monsoon dictate that we need AWD.
Old 22nd May 2009, 00:48   #36
BHPian

Just one word. Quattro!
Old 22nd May 2009, 01:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

My preferences are AWD, RWD and FWD in that order. Control and safety come first.

Note: My choice in the poll indicates what I prefer and not what I presently own.

Cheers,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 22nd May 2009 at 01:06.
Old 30th April 2010, 13:40   #38

Hi Folks,

I'd like to know how many of you have actually driven AWDs, 4WDs, and 2WDs (Front-wheel driven or Rear-Wheel driven)

Regardless of control, safety, or just plain fun driving, each of these power-train layouts has its uses.

A lot of people look down upon front-wheel driven vehicles in the mistaken view that such vehicles are designed for economy.
Not so. front-wheel driven layouts where the engine is mounted over the front axle have many advantages when it comes to control. Over a slippery or low-grip surface, such vehicles offer superior control and acceleration. Ever wonder why most of the cars in the WRC (except Subarus, I think) are front-wheel driven?
Having the driven wheels pressed to the ground by the weight of the engine also offers directional traction in snowy, dirt, sandy or slippery roads.

Rear-wheel drive layouts are fun to drive if you simply want to feel the rear end fish-tail or do a wheelie at the traffic light grand prix. They're also great for burning doughnuts, flaring the wheels, drifting, or drag-racing (where the directional force advantage the rear wheel drive vehicles offer is a big plus).
Consider this: the advantage would be lost for drag-racing if it were to be a mid-engined rear-wheel driven layout, but would give the driver an advantage speeding around tight corners.

AWDs --- the AWD is great for variable road conditions... i.e. if you're doing a cross-country road trip, the AWD will adjust to all kinds of roads and will rarely skid out of control. The disadvantage of this kind of layout is that once traction is lost, the AWD system goes bananas and could end up spinning wheels rather than helping the driver. You have to remember that ALL the wheels don't get ALL the power ALL the time in an AWD (yes, manufacturers misuse the term for marketing). the name is misleading - it should actually mean a 4-wheel driven vehicle.
Unfortunately, when it comes to cars and crossovers, it actually means that power is variably sent to both axles... most of the power is still sent to either the front or the rear axles.
Also, AWDs use a central differential as opposed to true 4WDs which use two separate diffs.
In other words, this means that if your AWD Captiva has one wheel stuck in mud, it WON'T be able to get itself out because what will happen is that the power output to ALL the 4 wheels will be reduced to the amount sent to the mud-spinning wheel, and essentially, either none of the wheels will move, or the wheel in the mud'll keep spinning.
This is why AWDs are meant for the road - be it a Subaru Impreza, a Lamborghini Murcielago, or a Captiva. Of course, an Audi Quattro or an Impreza would run circles around BMW's xDrive or the GM/Chevrolet Captiva's low-end AWD. Your AWD is only as good as what you paid for it.

4WDs - now these are designed for simultaneous power on all the 4 wheels controlled by diff locks and a torque-transfer case.
In English, this means, they'll go anywhere (depending on their suspension mods, tires and state of tune). The technology is not new, but is very very useful if you really want to be able to 'go anywhere'.

I know I love my 4bie.

I variably drive a station wagon (RWD, with a lowered sports suspension and a Limited-slip Diff on the rear axle for a Caravan etc.) and a stock Patrol 4WD - just in case you're wondering -- that's right - one for the road trips, and one for the road-less trips.

Also, since the Poll didn't seem to differentiate between AWD and 4WD, I could choose only 2WD. Here in Oz, we tend to differentiate between AWDs and 4WDs VERY clearly because of the way all kinds of car companies try to sell their trash.

We don't confuse ourselves with terms like SUV like they do in America.

Does this help? I hope so...

I'm also copy-pasting another post that I put up in another discussion an hour or so ago...
Old 30th April 2010, 13:41   #39

***THIS POST IS FROM ANOTHER DISCUSSION IN THE 4WD FORUM - PASTED HERE FOR A GOOD READ -- ENJOY!***

Looks like Mod_to_odd's no longer around...the last post was in Jan this year...however, this looks like it was an interesting discussion of all kinds of fourbies in The Holy Land.
In the interest of clarity, let us first distinguish between 4WDs and SUVs.
Sport utility vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
As you'll see in the second paragraph, "not all SUVs have four-wheel drive capabilities. Conversely, not all four-wheel-drive passenger vehicles are SUVs"
SUV is simply a media term misused by the American media in an attempt to sell more vehicles.
I for one, would hate to have my Patrol an SUV. It's a Fourbie (in Oz) or a 4WD, or a 4x4.
The GM-Chevrolet Captiva is an AWD and can be called an SUV, though it's more of a crossover, I think.
It's a good car, though - I've seen lots over here since it was released.
I took a look at the Fortuner - I wouldn't buy it - it's a badly disguised Hilux. in Oz and some other countries, the Hilux is Toyota's offer for tradesmen's utility vehicle.
Hiluxes are no fun to drive. They're quite reliable, though. I wouldn't buy one if you paid me to, I have to say.
In India, though, I don't know if they have any competition. Between Nissans, Mitsubishis, Toyotas and Fords, my first choice would be a Nissan.
Why? ask anyone who drives a Jonga. Jongas are essentially Nissan Patrols from the caveman era, built in Jabalpur under license - built specifically to suit the Indian Army.
Or go to Dubai or some other desert city of the world. Anyone who actually does a lot of desert/off-road driving will own a Patrol.
Toyotas are considered 'soft' in the off-road department by many hardcore enthusiasts.
Personally, Landcruisers and Patrols are equally good vehicles with the Landcruisers being more user-friendly, and the Patrols being famous for pure, unbeatable reliability.
Another manufacturer that makes great fourbies is Isuzu. They're not around in many countries, though. I don't think they're in India, anyway.
I'm guessing that the Endeavour is what Ford calls its vehicle there.
I've seen the same car in Malaysia and it was called something else.
GhettoMAX, this entire discussion was fuelled by your query about making a decision.
It's simple - given that most of your driving is on unpaved roads, I'd say go 4WD.
Depending on how many people you're hoping to move in the vehicle, choose the size.
I've gone 4WDing in India a while ago, and you may be surprised at how reliable and capable those little Suzuki 4WDs are.
Remember - 4WDing is not so much about power outpout (HP/BHP/KW) but rather about how reliable the engine will be when revving at a constant RPM on low range 4WD to drag you out of a muddy road after the rains, and how well the transfer case holds under constant stress.
The best way to ensure a decent ride (for your father, mod_to_odd) is to find a 4WD with independent suspension (Landrovers and Nissan Patrols were the only 4WDs that had this feature decades ago).
Most hardcore 4WDs released in India have leaf-spring suspensions... pretty primitive, and jarring.
I remember having my brains shaken out of my ears in some memorable vehicles including a Tempo Trax, a Mahindra, a Tata Sumo and an Auto-rickshaw.
If I were to buy a practical car in India and money were no object, I'd import a Patrol. Nothing less.
But if money were a hindrance, I would probably get an ex-military hard-top Mahindra that can be fixed anywhere, put in comfy-cushiony seats, rebuild the engine, and air-conditioning.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks