Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2024, 21:23   #916
Senior - BHPian

Re: Work From Home (WFH): Is this the future for many?

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I had a question about the kind of IT work that cannot be done on laptops and is desktop-specific.
Almost all work can be done on laptop. In some industries, laptops introduce significant costs. Even though laptops are issued to employees, these laptops are so locked down that they are only good for "dumb terminal" usecase (VPN to network and then remote into actual PC).

This is much cheaper than budgeting for data leakage from laptops, specially with zero days from USB.

https://techcrunch.com/2023/01/14/ci...r-source-code/

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDIS_RE650 View Post
I feel, if it is not a financial burden, remote working employees must arrange a comfortable setup at home.
+1

Remote must only be allowed if proper resources are available. Fortunately, it only takes ~3k USD per developer (company issued laptop, furniture, monitors, headphones, 5G data for backup during power outage etc) as long as developer has an isolated environment to work from. Otherwise :

https://www.hrgrapevine.com/content/...rom-home-calls
NetfreakBombay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 17:07   #917
BHPian

Regarding the ongoing water crisis in bangalore.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../108358735.cms
mathewspaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 10:00   #918
Distinguished - BHPian

God bless understanding management and great, flexible company culture.

An extended family member had an unexpected health crisis and we were required to help out urgently. Had I still been with a couple of previous companies, with the inflexible company culture, old-school management I remember from there, work would have been yet another thing I would have to worry about.

As it stands, all I had to do was pack my laptop and go. In the time I had where I was just waiting around doing nothing, I was able to work and deliver something urgent that I needed to by the end of last week. Both the employee and the company benefited. And I now have another very compelling reason to remain loyal to this company and management even if I get a better financial offer from another company.
am1m is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 07:47   #919
BHPian

Indeed!! I also work completely remotely and it is a blessing. I'm productive and also able to get personal things done. Another big positive is avoiding the office commute.
chennai-indian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks