Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2021, 22:18   #91
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My experience with Covid-19: Got infected, and recovered!

Covid was a scary experience, but with god's grace and help from our support system/network of family and friends, we managed to come out.

My family tested positive back in May and it was pretty severe for my wife who needed hospitalisation at a time when there was the BBMP bed scam etc happening and no beds were available. Despite all this, with some luck and a good friend's help, we managed to get her admitted to a very good private hospital and she recovered in a week (no ICU admission, oxygen was given on day 1). Meanwhile, my daughter also recovered with medication and home quarantine, I was the care giver at home and did my best to quarantine myself. About 3 days after my wife was hospitalised, I got myself tested (was asymptomatic at that time) and I also tested positive - I had taken my first dose of Covishield 3 weeks prior. A day later I had a slight cold that was followed by loss of smell and taste which was quite severe and lasted 3 weeks or so.
However, I never had fever and my recovery was fast and no post Covid symptoms so far. I think the first dose of vaccination did help in my case.

Based on the doctor's advice, I delayed my second dose and took it about 120 days after my first dose (about 90 days after testing positive for Covid).

I read somewhere that the recommendation for time between covishield doses is 84-114 days. In my case it went over by about 7-8 days, hope this is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan nhu mare? View Post
Those who were infected: how severe was your loss of taste and smell? Could you taste sweet and sour things? How long did it last?
Quite severe and lasted 3 weeks at least as far as I can remember.

Last edited by NPV : 21st August 2021 at 22:20.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 04:22   #92
BHPian

My Experience with Covid-19

And an update after a year

What happened?

It was mid July 2020, my dad had to go out to visit grandparents to boost their mental support by giving hopes that these tough times will pass soon and they should follow the protocols (sanitization and wearing masks). The next day dad had some temperature, but all done and dusted in a day. A few days later dad again had to visit grandparents for their health follow-up, but this time after he returned from their place it was a nightmare. The next day was followed by low feeling, reduced appetite, high temperature and cough. Later 12-14 days were on similar lines, but the consistency wasn't present. Calling doc assured it wasn't because of Covid-19, and we too disagree to the fact. Medicines were started, the dad was quarantined and safety protocols were tightened.

On 28th July, 2020, we booked a home appointment for Covid Test from Suburban Diagnostics. Dad was completely fine during the test, laughing when his nose was tickled while taking test samples. But by night his O2 levels dropped to 84, had words with the doctor and we were advised to admit him to hospital. Called up BMC, and within 5 minutes the bed was reserved for dad. All this communication was done by dad's friend. We took him to a private hospital owned by his friend, fortunately or unfortunately dad was the only Covid-19 patient, we thought it to be safe and had immense trust in the Doctor (he wasn't the same doctor mentioned above). Dad was given external oxygen, it was the worst sight of my life to see him like this. After 30-36 hours, his health stabilized and external oxygen supply was removed. Dad was taken for CT-Scan and I accompanied him in the ambulance. Shoutout to drivers and pedestrians for giving us way. Thanked all in the heart. With this done, we were back in hospital, and then I met dad after 21 days.

BMC called up on 29th July 2020 at 8:00 hours *jotting down all the details. To our fears the test report was out and it was positive, the same was proved correct in the CT Scan report. I rushed to the hospital to inform them and also to pay in advance (went in PPE and followed safety protocols). As I reached home, BMC officials had arrived and the whole apartment and building were sanitized. We (my mother, my sister and I) were home quarantined for 14 days, we live on the top floor and have no neighbours helped everyone in the surroundings. None of our relatives showed up either for help or moral support. My mother was hurt deep down when one of our close relative shouted at her when she requested for help, dark sides got revealed. People staying 100m away couldn't even call for support. Here is when dad's friends hopped in and immensely helped. Everything related to a diet plan and other basic requirements was fulfilled and well coordinated by friends.

As we were in regular contact with dad, we too started showing symptoms:
  • Mother - She showed no common symptoms like fever but she was traumatised.
  • Sister - She had loss of smell and loss of taste
  • I started heavy breathing.
Doctor prescribed medicines to us and suggested not to get tested as it was most likely to be positive. Within 2-3 days I was alright, sister was still down and mother showed no changes. Buckled up, and 7 days after admitting, dad was back in the mood, cracking jokes and boosting our morale. We decided to get Covid Test done again, and this time too we were shocked to see a positive report. Dad still had no symptoms and we were recovering. On the doctor's suggestion we waited 14 days and this time around it was negative. With joy we all went to get our chubby daddy back. Hospital being owned by dad, we completed discharge formality later.

Are you all vaccinated?

We all are fully vaccinated, we have taken Covishield. Few of us showed side effects :
  • Dad - Slight body pain after both doses
  • Mother - Body pain, but only after the first dose. No side effects after the second dose.
  • Sister - Fever and body pain after both doses.
  • Myself - No symptoms except sleep getting reduced.

How does it feel after a year of recovering from Covid-19?

There has been no proven fact, I know, regarding long term effects of Covid-19, but we have seen ourselves getting tired easily, panting and removing the mask after climbing 3-4 floors which wasn't the case before, and we tend to lack concentration and retention power as before. Physically, we all have gained weight drastically.

Last edited by GautamJ : 30th August 2021 at 04:27.
GautamJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 22:12   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan nhu mare? View Post
Those who were infected: how severe was your loss of taste and smell? Could you taste sweet and sour things? How long did it last?
Three weeks. It does come back. But I still feel I am not at the pre-covid level of sensitivity of both taste and smell. (I was tested +ve in mid May)

I wanted to check with anyone on the forum who had distorted smells (and or taste) again? I am having a severe distorted smell after about 3 months of recovery. Not sure what is causing it. It is as bad as having no smell. The usual things (mostly food) smells awkward like some chemical substance.. I am also having acid reflux right now not sure if it is because of that...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks