Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2007, 18:18   #16
BHPian

^^agree with godfather. Homeless wouldn't sleep on pavements if they could help it...Besides driving when you're soused is dangerous. Imagine parking your vehicle off the belapur ghats instead on on the pavement and atop some unlucky blighter...

Its us, the people with homes and cars who should worry about civic sense, not some poor homeless guys...they will mostly worry about where their next meals coming from. Importance is subject to relevance, lets remember that..

However did they drive on the pavement, or did the vehicle climb the pavement in an accident? Cause driving on a pavement is not fun, and I can't see anyone doing it even if for kicks...
Old 13th March 2007, 18:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
Its us, the people with homes and cars who should worry about civic sense, not some poor homeless guys...they will mostly worry about where their next meals coming from. Importance is subject to relevance, lets remember that..

Vandal , what are you saying here ? Some poor homeless guy should not bother for his safety or use any common sense or civic sense because he has to worry about where his next meal is coming from ?? Doesn't the pedestrian have any duty ?

oooff forget it ...its fruitless arguing.

May God bless the souls of those who lost their lives and punish those who ran over them. Let the law take its own course. Im out of here.
Old 13th March 2007, 23:56   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone question the driving conditions here?
In the first post itself, amit mentions that it is difficult to see on that certain stretch of road.
What if he the cabbie is driving and this particular stretch of road has bad illumination? I don't blame the cab driver.
Besides, it is mentioned that the cabbie wasn't drunk at the time of the incident and i am sure he wasn't roaming around at that time for fun. He is a family man, just like those labourers. More than civic sense, he would be worried whether he can provide for his family, just like those labourers who were sleeping on the pavements. He wouldn't be driving at 2.30 otherwise.
Before we flame anyone, either the pavement dwellers or the cabbie, we have to look at the scenario present.
In the case of the Carter Road accidents, the youths were clearly at fault as they were drunk but i don't think the same would apply here.
Old 14th March 2007, 00:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
^^agree with godfather. Homeless wouldn't sleep on pavements if they could help it...Besides driving when you're soused is dangerous. Imagine parking your vehicle off the belapur ghats instead on on the pavement and atop some unlucky blighter...

However did they drive on the pavement, or did the vehicle climb the pavement in an accident? Cause driving on a pavement is not fun, and I can't see anyone doing it even if for kicks...
It was obviously an accident. Noone would drive their vehicle on a pavement for fun. And why do you asume that the cabbie was drunk? The article clearly mentions that he was not. As for the pavement dwellers, I agree that they probably dont have many places to go but I really think that something should be done to get them off the pavement. It is really tough to see them sleeping on the roads especially with the blankets.

btw i read through the article and i just wanted to stress on one part

Quote:
Saiyeed was nabbed by other pavement dwellers after the incident and was arrested soon after[/SIZE][/FONT]
Quote:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2] I shouted for help for almost half an hour till some people lifted the car and pulled me out.
The point im trying to make here is that the cabbie was stopped immidietly and im sure he was beaten up before being taken to the police station but noone thought it was more important to help the injured person.....hmmmm
Old 14th March 2007, 02:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Without sounding like a jerk, I would suggest putting a up a sign that says, "Caution, people sleeping on the pavement"

On a serious note, I think the homeless shelters need to be setup to accomodate these people, because cars pretty often can run off the road. Keep in mind that these people provide the cheap labour services that we use all the time (weather directly or indirectly)
Old 14th March 2007, 04:39   #21
Awaiting Email Confirmation

dude I agree with V1p3R and NC for sure I mean c'mon they people dont even wanna walk on the pavement anymore.
Old 14th March 2007, 13:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its us, the people with homes and cars who should worry about civic sense, not some poor homeless guys...they will mostly worry about where their next meals coming from.
Even the taxi driver is a poor hard working person working hard wondering where he is going to get his next meal from. Shouldn't he then be allowed to drive any which way he wants? Let him not have any civic sense. Should he be allowed to run over a few people?

The point to note here is that this accident, just as I expected, has barely made it to the news channels and news papers in contrast to the Carter road accident. Sure the guy's invovled in that accident were drunk but even if they were'nt, the outrage still would have been there because the guys were supposedly rich. While pedestrians, two wheelers and even the LAW conviniantly blame car owners/driver's for all accidents, the Carter road accident and this taxi incident shows that the whole "swanky car owner is solely responsible for all accidents" attitude is so in grained that everybody, including car owners themselves seem to believe that!
Old 14th March 2007, 13:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

If the victims were sleeping on the road (and not on the pavement), they are as much to blame as the taxi driver who should have driven carefully if the visibility was poor. However, if they were on the pavement, then irrespective of the argument that the pavement is for walking, the driver is to blame (whether he is rich or poor).

A pavement sure is for walking and not intended for sleeping. But that does not in anyway justify someone taking his car onto the pavement, for which it is clearly not intended.

And what is so rich anyway about driving an old Toyota ?
Old 14th March 2007, 14:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

Soon after the Toyota Incident

Soon after the Toyota/Celebrity Incident there were mails forwarded
full of humor about the drunk dude driving. The incident was not
humorous though.

There was this cartoon strip in a forward in which a guy is
sleeping on the sidewalk/pavement/footpath. A scooterist
passes by screaming "Abbe eh, jaldi uth Salman ki gaadi peeche se
aa rahi hain". In the next stip the dude is shown clinging tightly
to an electric pole Screaming "Kidhar hain Kidhar Hain".
Not to mention the scooterist is full of what he pulled off.
Old 14th March 2007, 19:57   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

And what is so rich anyway about driving an old Toyota ?
The fact that it is a Toyota.
Remember the Kasliwal Rape case? The reason it got more attention than otherwise was the fact that he was driving a Merc.
Butttt, the Merc wasn't a brand new E or S but an old W123.
It is the brand that counts.
Old 15th March 2007, 10:32   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
The fact that it is a Toyota.
Remember the Kasliwal Rape case? The reason it got more attention than otherwise was the fact that he was driving a Merc. Butttt, the Merc wasn't a brand new E or S but an old W123. It is the brand that counts.
An old Toyota (with a value of a couple of lakhs maybe) is a snob thing in a country that has cars that cost as high as 5-6 crores ? Either you are kidding or you are terribly out of date about what today's snob chart looks like.
And as far as that rape case goes, I would think a guy raping a lady more than twice his age would itself generate a lot of interest without bringing his car into the picture. You make it sound as if the crime of raping is insignificant while all that matters is some Merc. Its not about cars or brands, it is about someone who was violated against their will.
Old 21st March 2007, 04:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

Truck runs over two sleeping teenagers.

Another case of a vehicle running over people sleeping on a pavement.

Quote:
Truck runs over two sleeping teenagers

Drunk Driver Had Lost Control Of The Vehicle; Victims’ Father Is Battling For Life

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Mumbai: A drunk driver ran his truck over sleeping pavement dwellers at Charkop naka, killing two teenage brothers on the spot, in the wee hours of Monday. The victims’ father who was injured in the accident is battling for life at Bhagwati Hospital. The truck driver has been arrested.
Navab Hussain (16) and his brother Savab Hussain (13) were sleeping outside their hut where they sell nursery plants at Karabla Maidan, Ekta Nagar, alongside Marve Road near Charkop junction. Around 12.30 am, the truck carrying construction material rammed into them.
According to the Kandivli police, the truck driver Shiva Raghunath Navtare (45) was drunk and had lost control of the vehicle while trying to dodge an autorickshaw and run onto a muddy stretch alongside the road. The driver tried to run away after the accident, but was caught by locals and handed over to the police.
Eyewitnesses said the vehicle ran over the teenagers, killing them instantly. Their father Mohammed Alam Jahir Mohammed Siddique (45) who was sleeping at a distance was also hit by the truck. He is being treated at Bhagwati Hospital for severe head and neck injuries. Police say he is unaware about his sons’ deaths.
The brothers used to sell plants at the same site. They had had their dinner around 10 pm, and after chatting with neighbours, had lay down to sleep at 11 pm.
A number of families were sleeping outside the hutment when the accident occurred, and were lucky to survive. Three-year-old Sonu Singh and her five-year-old sister Neha miraculously escaped though they were sleeping only at arm’s distance from the victims. “We woke up and saw two bodies that were completely smashed. My children started crying uncontrollably,’’ said the girls’ mother Uma.
The accident spot, opposite the Muslim cemetery, has been converted into a slum over the years. Most of the occupants are engaged in selling indoor and outdoor plants. They also make colourful pottery that find a lot of takers from nearby residential localities.
Many contract labourers engaged in the road widening at Marve Road have also made their homes along the roadside. “We sleep outside so that we can safeguard our plants and pots from thieves. Our huts are away from the road. What can we do if the vehicles crash into us?’’ said a dweller Mohammed Shafi
Old 21st March 2007, 04:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

My condolences to the family. Drunk driver, hope he hangs.
Old 21st March 2007, 08:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Oh no, not again. Its really sad that people have very low regard for life in our country. My deepest condolences to the family. Hope the father survives. The driver is at fault, no dobut about it and should be dealt with firmly.
Old 21st March 2007, 08:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Another reckless driving...

At the same time, I should say that Mumbai is slowly starting to explode... This was inevitable... even footpaths are overloaded...

Abhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks