Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2020, 12:21   #16
BHPian

re: MSEDCL sends Electricity Bills: Residents in for a rude shock. EDIT: Bills are accurate!

My experience has been different. I got billing for April and May using average meter reading. I was lazy to take snap of meter and upload. Finally, I took the snap of meter and uploaded the meter reading. The bill of June was calculated properly.
Old 29th June 2020, 13:30   #17
BHPian

re: MSEDCL sends Electricity Bills: Residents in for a rude shock. EDIT: Bills are accurate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Net net, they didn't deduct the units from the previous months units which would have yielded lesser revenue, the IAS babu thought, let's reduce the cost instead and shift most users to the top 500+ unit buckets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
I live in Pune and our monthly average consumption till May has been in the range of 95-105 units. This is just daylight robbery if they don't budge.
On the contrary, I observed that MSEDCL divided the total units into 3 parts and then applied SLABS on it.
Here's breakup of my bill:
Total UNITS on 18th JUN (combined units of three months): 675
Name:  TotalUnits.PNG
Views: 1715
Size:  12.0 KB

Bill calculation using old tariff for the period of 0.44 month out of 3 months
Name:  oldTariff.PNG
Views: 1723
Size:  5.2 KB

Bill calculation using new tariff for the period of 2.63 months out of 3 months
Name:  newTariff.PNG
Views: 1697
Size:  4.8 KB

If you observed above table, 1ST SLAB has 263 Units.
100 units per month X 2.63 months = 263

Last edited by truezealous : 29th June 2020 at 13:59.
truezealous is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 15:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I got slapped with a Rs 10K bill in June and raised a complaint. It's exactly as Moralfibre said, they haven't bothered to deduct the units (average billing) that were paid in Apr and May 2020. I am awaiting the outcome of that complaint but I received a SMS in Marathi basically telling me the bill was adjusted for previously paid bills and I'd have to pay up.
Please check the below website, it clearly shows the situation for last year April May and June and this year's April May and June.

I saw that in my case there was a mere increase of Rs 1000 over the last year's same 3 month period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Hello,

At least my experience has been different. You can check the bill calculation here: https://billcal.mahadiscom.in/consumerbill/
I wish I would've seen your post earlier instead of dialing up the customer care and waiting so long for their explanations.
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 16:56   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Please check the below website, it clearly shows the situation for last year April May and June and this year's April May and June.
I saw that in my case there was a mere increase of Rs 1000 over the last year's same 3 month period
Thanks, that explains it which is in line with what the SMS mentioned. I am paying about Rs 1150 extra over the same period in 2019.

Last edited by R2D2 : 29th June 2020 at 16:58.
Old 29th June 2020, 18:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Adani Electricity is very famous for sending inflated power bills to its consumers.

Quote:
Taapsee tweeted screenshots of her electricity bill from April to June and tagged power supplier Adani Electricity.
The actress said her bill amount for April and May ranged between Rs 3,000 and Rs 4,000 but she was charged Rs 36,000 for June.
Quote:
Renuka Shahane also shared her bills on Twitter, writing that she was charged Rs 5,510 for May, but was billed unexpectedly higher in June by Adani Electricity.
'Dear @Adani_Elec_Mum I got a bill of Rs 5,510/= on the 9th of May while in June I got a bill of Rs 29,700 combining May and June where you've charged me Rs 18,080 for the month of May. How did Rs 5,510/= become Rs 18,080/?' Renuka asked.
Quote:
Huma Qureshi was puzzled that her bill jumped to Rs 50,000 from Rs 6,000.
'What are these new electricity rates? @Adani_Elec_Mum Last month I paid 6k .. and this month 50K?! What is this new price surge? Kindly enlighten us,' Huma posted.
https://www.rediff.com/movies/report...k/20200629.htm

Because they are celebs and famous, their grievances are taken note or published.

What about thousands of others who a SHOCK with such electricity bills?

Increase petrol / diesel price. Increase Electricity Bills. Now Impound Cars.

"Bas Sirf Public ko Loot lo"
Old 30th June 2020, 10:06   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I must say that the BEST has been like an angel in comparison. We have 8 meters with them and all of them have shown more or less consistent bills. See the billing history. They are good even otherwise for our area in terms or uptime, handling complaints etc.

MSEDCL sends Electricity Bills: Residents in for a rude shock. EDIT: Bills are accurate!-annotation-20200630-100400.png
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 11:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

Considering that many members have reported their bill calculations to be correct, I think it is time to update the thread title to reflect the same.

With many of us staying at home, the usage naturally will have gone up for most users especially for those with AC. Working from home would have increased AC usage for many, and that will naturally reflect in the bills.
AkMar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 11:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
... One key function of the state's electricity department is to conduct monthly meter readings and calculating your monthly electricity bill based on consumption. But, due to the lockdown, the agency informed that they wouldn't be able to send their frontline staff in risk prone areas. Thereby, a decision was made to not take meter readings and simply calculate the bills based on average consumption...
I got an SMS for each of these months asking me to submit the meter reading through their mobile app, failing which they would bill me an average bill. So that is what I did. I submitted the meter readings. They generated an average bill for April even though I had submitted the reading. I raised a complaint and then got a revised bill with the proper readings. I thought everyone was asked to submit their readings. Was that not the case?
pjbiju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 18:47   #24
BHPian

I want to just add one observation. I had a 1 phase connection reflecting in my bill till last month and this month they have suddenly changed it to 3 phase. The fixed part of the bill has suddenly almost quadrapled. Do check whether that is the case with those who had 1 Ph connections.

Same has happened with many consumers in my locality, but not with all.

This is mess.
Old 1st July 2020, 18:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

This has been my experience in Chennai. The premises that's been non functional due to lock down has seen a 3 fold increase in consumption?? I paid up and raised a ticket which has fallen on deaf ears and there's been no response from the TNEB. In the meantime some one here has raised a PIL in Madras High Court and it remains to be seen what comes out of it.
Old 1st July 2020, 19:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

Same case in Bangalore as well, everyone got double bill for last few months. And nobody ventures out to complain due to the Covid situation, something that BESCOM takes advantage of. They're saying WFH is increasing power consumption across the State. Have given a request to recheck our power meters.
Old 4th July 2020, 11:18   #27
BHPian

Got an escalated bill from MAHADISCOM like other friends here. The method used for calculation as described here makes everyone come under the slot of 1000+ units.

People who usually consume for the 500 units or more will not find any unreasonable amounts being charged. The only consumers most affected are the ones who use between 300-500 units a month.

What has aggravated the problem is onset of summers causing use of air conditioning which increased gradually from March to June.

I have registered a complaint, but there is a standard reply and a link provided to check the calculation which is based on wrong assumptions.

What MSEDCL have in their favor is that in April and May they asked us to send a picture of the meter reading and like most of us here we did not send any.

As I have paid inspire of escalated amount, I hope they do take a corrective action and adjust the extra amount in next bill.

Regards.
Brumby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 18:47   #28
BHPian

This is nothing new for MSEB. They were actually running this scam in Pune 2-3 years back.

Consider your average bill is ₹1500/- per month. What would happen is for couple of months, you would get a bill of just ₹200 or ₹300 with no meter reading photo. Then the month after they would put your actual reading and due to this being a big number, you would be pushed in higher bracket. The billing is not progressive - which means that you would pay the entire bill in higher bracket.

I faced this twice and then found a lot of people in my society and neighboring societies were victims of the same scam. We complained to MSEDCL who promised an inquiry but even after multiple followups nothing happened.

Luckily my bill for this period has been Ok.
timuseravan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 20:48   #29
BHPian

Even I got angry when I got the bill for this month but when I carefully examined it, I found it almost the same.
For all those who are saying that they were charged the highest slab didn't actually check the details. Check the details on the below mentioned link and take some time to analyse it as well. And don't forget to check meter reading dates on your latest bill and on previous bills. Check the billing cycle as well.

https://billcal.mahadiscom.in/consumerbill/

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Hello,

At least my experience has been different. You can check the bill calculation here: https://billcal.mahadiscom.in/consumerbill/

When I checked my bill I found that they have correctly distributed units as per tariff slabs for calculation of June bill by dividing total consumption equally into 3 months. I am satisfied with the calculation given on the above link. The amount paid for average bill of April & May has been subtracted properly from the June bill.

Initially I was also of the opinion that MSEDCL is looting us, but on careful examination of the calculation I was satisfied with it.
Even I was angry when I got the bill but when I checked the details I found it that I wasn't charged for above 300 unit slab even though the total of 3 months was around 1k units, probably because of the reason that the usual meter reading date is 2nd of every month but my last bill said 24th june. That's more than 3 months whereas fixed charges were charged only for 3 months. On top of that we will get a 2% rebate as well. What more we can ask for? Free electricity maybe!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th July 2020 at 15:15. Reason: back to back posts merged
Tucker48 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 02:32   #30
BHPian

I was also in a shock to see my Company logo in the Hot threads section of Teambhp!��

With regards to any doubts that our respected members have in their minds, I will be more than happy to clarify them, being an employee of MSEDCL.

I am thankful to all the members like truezealous, alpha1, R2D2, tucker48 and AkMar have taken the pain to analyse their bills and got satisfied with the calculations.

I really admire this forum and community that there are members who like calling a spade a spade! They have rightfully raised a concern and discussed for the solution.

Now coming to the problem; the billing system is designed to set an average consumption of last six months for any of the comsumers in the event of non availability of readings due to locked premises, not accessible etc.
The average units applied during lockdown period belong to the months of Sept 19 to Feb 20 which majorly consisted of extended monsoon and winter.
The consumption in these months was drastically low.
If we had to charge averages from last summer we had to enter manually in each and every consumer's account. Any changes from the backend was also not possible due to the panic situation in March.
The Residential consumer base alone of MSEDCL is nearly 1.8 crore. This would have been highly impractical and prone to errors.

Thankfully our IT cell has been progressing at much faster rate from last three years due to our last MD who was an IAS officer. And so is the following link:

https://billcal.mahadiscom.in/consumerbill/

For those who think its loot by Govt. company like ours; nobody is going to benefit when consumers are billed higher. The amount that is paid as Energy bill gets transferred the same day to a centralised account in Mumbai and is utilized primarily for power purchase and other expenses on a no loss-no profit basis.
Salaries of employees account for only 5% of the total revenue. This is the lowest for any service industry. And nobody gets incentives for charging a consumer with higher bill; rather he gets enough from the local representatives, media persons, authorities and even twitter.

The company purely runs on bills paid by the consumers and any funds received from Central or State Govts. are purely utilised for expansion of network in remote areas and various schemes for the benefit of the farmers and the BPL consumers.

Time and again there have been trials of privatisation in the form of franchises like Torrent power in Bhiwandi, Spanco in Nagpur and GTL in Aurangabad. Of which GTL had failed badly due to some unethical practices mentioned by some members like uneven reading intervals of 10 days in one month and 50 days in next. When they left Aurangabad they left in midnight with intentionally interrupting power supply just to be restored by MSEDCL employees of adjoining rural areas and taking over the charge. Even Spanco has been terminated.

This is a sector where internationally there is a debate whether it should be Private or Govt. owned.

For MSEDCL, I can still vouch for that we supply electricity at the rate of candles. For a monthly bill of Rs.300 one can still use 4 led bulbs and a fan. But with a Rs.10 candle a day life would be harder.

Respected Mods, please correct me if I had been off topic or got carried away.
H Karter is offline   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks