Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2020, 13:53   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: On environmental sustainability & single use plastics

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Not a very long time ago, plastics were touted to be the savior of the environment by replacing cardboard and paper packaging which were essentially derived from tree leaves and wood. Thus plastic was bestowed with the honor of protecting the trees and forests. What has changed now? Is paper/cardboard manufactured synthetically today? Or do they still come from felled trees?
If plastic of all things was touted as saviour of trees then that is clearly untruthful propaganda from vested commercial interests. For your own sake I hope you didn't fall for it.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 14:09   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
If plastic of all things was touted as saviour of trees then that is clearly untruthful propaganda from vested commercial interests. For your own sake I hope you didn't fall for it.
Even if it was "untruthful propaganda from vested commercial interests" it still was actually replacing paper/cardboard packaging which were essentially manufactured from trees. Hence it would have helped reducing deforestation for this purpose. Actually made good sense back in the day.

On the contrary a case can be made that recycling of plastics are harming "vested commercial interests" of prime material suppliers. Plastics, on their own are not the nuisance. It is recyclable in most cases, even if in some cases it might not be commercially viable. E.g. when it is too much heterogeneous or bonded with fillers. The real evil is lack of collection and proper segregation of small plastic items including the so called "single-use" plastics. I find the administrative apathy in this regard rather amusing. We are left at the mercy of the unorganized sector. With modern technologies, recycled plastic granules are becoming uncomfortably competitive for the big petrochemical giants.

Just pondering differently.
mi2n is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 22:46   #18
BHPian

On the topic of single use plastics, why do we still have milk packets in the 21st century? Why can't milk be made available in bottles? Beer, with all its fizz, is already available in perfectly packaged bottles today, so why not milk

Atleast in Bangalore, milk packets are the norm, and I can only dare to imagine the daily amount of waste generated. I know that bottling might increase the cost a bit initially, but eventually the reuse should pay itself off. Some might say 'the reason is hygiene', but I don't buy that logic - single use plastics also might have a hygiene issue if not properly monitored.

I think fixing this will give us the biggest bang for the buck, in terms of sheer volume of plastic.
PearlJam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 23:02   #19
Team-BHP Support

Glad to see that the recent Amazon orders were shipped with paper based tape on the cardboard boxes.

I hope they replace the plastic covers with bubble wraps with the cardboard boxes and recycled paper as the cushioning material inside.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 23:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
On the topic of single use plastics, why do we still have milk packets in the 21st century? Why can't milk be made available in bottles? Beer, with all its fizz, is already available in perfectly packaged bottles today, so why not milk

Atleast in Bangalore, milk packets are the norm, and I can only dare to imagine the daily amount of waste generated. I know that bottling might increase the cost a bit initially, but eventually the reuse should pay itself off. Some might say 'the reason is hygiene', but I don't buy that logic - single use plastics also might have a hygiene issue if not properly monitored.

I think fixing this will give us the biggest bang for the buck, in terms of sheer volume of plastic.
There are some milk vendors like Erden, Happy milk who supply 1litre milk in bottles. They were initially doing with glass bottles, but there is no option of them picking up the old bottle. So they moved to 1 time use plastic bottles

I do hope that we have glass bottles to deliver milk and they picking them back in some way. Maybe a pick up once in a week or something like that.
Old 2nd August 2020, 08:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree completely. The long life milk comes in a tetra pack which is recyclable if I understand correctly. In most countries abroad, fresh milk comes in plastic containers which are recyclable. It should not be difficult to make one of these options happen for fresh milk in India.
Old 2nd August 2020, 08:34   #22
BHPian

Quote:

It's much more expensive to transport milk in glass bottles. And then there's the issue of damage during transit as well. The margin in milk is pretty low to allow making these transition. But as aware consumers, what one can do, is try and shift to local milk vendors, many of whom are now delivering milk through portable vending machines. It is a little inconvenient though as you will have to go out with your utensil whenever the milkman comes just like old days but you also get fresh milk compared to day old milk like in case of packets.
Also, I wouldn't prefer to store and deliver milk in transparent glass bottles as exposure to sunlight reduces the amount of Vit B12 in the milk.
Alsp cleaning glass bottles for reuse is a process which will use lot of water as well and bottling process requires a much more expensive machinery than a plastic film packing machine which can start from 1.5L whereas even a cheap bottling setup starts from upwards of 4L.

Last edited by rdst_1 : 2nd August 2020 at 08:38.
Old 2nd August 2020, 12:58   #23
BHPian

Quote:
These milk sachets are recycled either at source or by ragpickers in landfills. Collecting and selling the old milk sachets and newspapers in my home was a source of pocket money for me in my school and college days. Now, it serves as small bonus to one of the domestic help.

Best means, I suppose, would be to distribution via the milk cans+liter measure by the milkman, but then convenience and short term economics triumphs long term benefits.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks