Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2020, 13:32   #1
BHPian

Inspiring story of Pratap, the Drone scientist (Turns out to be a conman)

Came across an inspiring story of Pratap from Karnataka, thought it's worth sharing.

Pratap has built more than 600 drones from eWaste and has won medals for India in international competitions

Name:  2_01_00_10_PratapDroneScientist_1_HIGHT_350_WIDTH_600.png
Views: 8147
Size:  323.1 KB

Quote:
Pratap, all of 22, has achieved what many only dream of. Pratap won the 1st prize at a Drone competition in Japan, and Prime Minister Narendra Modi has honoured him with an award and has asked DRDO to absorb him for his inventions in Drone technology.

Pratap's accomplishments have been talk of the town and have inspired many youngsters to persevere and achieve their dreams. However, Pratap's path to present success has not been easy and was full of thorns.

The drone developed by Pratap is a technological breakthrough in India. His drone, named 'Eagle', has the technology to detect people at the border instantly. It can be used to ascertain if they are intruders or anyone in danger. He is also working on drones that will benefit the farmers in planning for crops, soil quality, and other parameters.
Read more about Pratap here - Source

For those who are determined, avenues do open up.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th July 2020 at 14:37. Reason: Keeping FUP (fair usage policy) in mind, best to quote an excerpt from the source instead of sharing the entire article here.
Thermodynamics is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 17:49   #2
BHPian

re: Inspiring story of Pratap, the Drone scientist (Turns out to be a conman)

What a brilliant news and achievement!

The struggle that Pratap had to go through was unreal. Hope he gets all the required Support from now. A great story and an example what one can achieve with negligible finances.

I am lost for words after reading the article on what Pratap had to experience on his way to success.
aghate is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 09:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant achievement at such a young age. Even more encouraging is the fact that he's made the drones out of e-waste.

I would also hope that GoI takes this into consideration and opens up the skies for drones for all. Not all drones have cameras attached to him and in fact, some are just as a hobby more than anything.

Wish him the best in life.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 21:44   #4
BHPian

I have read forward messages about him on Whatsapp. Coming from a rural background, his achievement is simply great !!!
VaahanYogi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 21:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Had read about him. But not in this detail. Got a little teared up in eyes Hope he gets all the success he deserves, which looking at his dedication should be huge.
srishiva is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 22:56   #6
BHPian

Wonderful accomplishment and a truly inspiring tale! Hope he goes on to do wonders for our country and be a source of inspiration for others as well

Would like to point out something I read earlier today. Fact checking website Alt News has debunked the news of Prathap being inducted into the DRDO by our PM.

Quote:
Speaking with Alt News, Prathap claimed while other details of his accomplishments are true, the bit about his induction into the DRDO is false. “Not yet,” he told us. “I haven’t received any offer from the Prime Minister’s Office. The PM cannot recruit for DRDO, isn’t it? Several people from Kannada media have told me that I will be getting a call. But I am not sure. Till now I haven’t received any call or email.”
Link
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 23:55   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Brilliant work and dedication from the young chap, may he get all the success in his life and keeps making the country proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Brilliant achievement at such a young age. Even more encouraging is the fact that he's made the drones out of e-waste.

I would also hope that GoI takes this into consideration and opens up the skies for drones for all. Not all drones have cameras attached to him and in fact, some are just as a hobby more than anything.

You can fly your drone in non restricted area, you just need to register the drone. I have my DJI registered and i fly it all the time.
AtheK is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 02:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Truly inspiring. Kudos to Pratap on the great achievement.

Such stories are so nice to hear/read but it's sad to wonder how many such talents get crushed in our country due to lack of support. Similarly in the field of sports we see government awarding medal winners heavily 'after' they achieved the feat, but what about preparing more and more bright kids, be it in any field? With proper support at grassroot level, we can end up being innovators rather than just service providers. Someday maybe
SoumenD is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 10:53   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post

I know him personally as we have invited him for many programmes on youth development. He works for DRDO now specially appointed by PMO. He used to work for Airbus too in France. He didn't want to use his talent on other countries and companies. He wanted to work in our nation only. He is one of the top most young scientists in India. Feels very proud to hear about a youngster advocating working for the country
avaneesh. is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 13:19   #10
BHPian

Altnews did a fact-check on this:

Speaking with Alt News, Prathap claimed while other details of his accomplishments are true, the bit about his induction into the DRDO is false. “Not yet,” he told us. “I haven’t received any offer from the Prime Minister’s Office. The PM cannot recruit for DRDO, isn’t it? Several people from Kannada media have told me that I will be getting a call. But I am not sure. Till now I haven’t received any call or email.”

A keyword search for news reports claiming that Prathap has been appointed as a scientist in DRDO led us to a December 2019 report by India Times which said, “He is currently working on a project with India’s DRDO for drone application in critical national projects.” When asked about the report, Prathap clarified that he has never directly worked with the DRDO. “I worked with a Bengaluru-based company which was working on a project for DRDO.”
anivy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 18:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaneesh. View Post
I know him personally as we have invited him for many programmes on youth development. He works for DRDO now specially appointed by PMO. He used to work for Airbus too in France. He didn't want to use his talent on other countries and companies. He wanted to work in our nation only. He is one of the top most young scientists in India. Feels very proud to hear about a youngster advocating working for the country
I’m confused. You know him personally, so you can clear this up. Is he working for DRDO as you have said or is he not working for DRDO as per the fact checking website ?

His accomplishments are notable by themselves. Sometimes bolstering real accomplishments with embellished ones actually does more harm than good; it might make people question all his accomplishments, both real (By him) and made up (by others).

He no doubt attended CeBit in Hannover in 2018. But, CeBit seems to know nothing of the Enistein Innovation Medal he was awarded as per the press.

Unfortunately, many articles title a photograph of him in an acsl booth at an expo next to an ascl drone (that you can purchase commercially) as: Prathap with one of his drones. This sort of misinformation does this no-doubt highly accomplished lad, no favours.

Inspiring story of Pratap, the Drone scientist (Turns out to be a conman)-e06726bec4c3497a847e88c880dd8c01.jpeg

Last edited by reihem : 8th July 2020 at 18:28.
reihem is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 18:27   #12
BHPian

Yes, We had met in a couple of occasions as we had invited him as a chief guest for a programme. So he had said that he is working for DRDO then. But even I'm not damn sure whether he is working on the same. Moreover, it is not suitable to discuss all of this in a public forum.
avaneesh. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 18:42   #13
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Naveen for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Hello to all Bhpians,

Quote:
I have been regularly following your website and I came across the following news: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...scientist.html

Kindly go through the link taken from Youturn.in. They found that this is fake. The fact check has been done in Tamil.
https://youturn.in/factcheck/dronebo...scientist.html

Quote:
Here is another link to prove it's fake.
https://web.archive.org/web/20200708...heck#bypass-sw
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 18:56   #14
BHPian

Oh, thank god! Just the drdo invite isn't true. Those who don't bother to check the link might think that the boy's effort itself is fake.
crdi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 08:57   #15
BHPian

This boy is marvellous. In fact, I had seen this post in Instagram. It was also mentioned in IG that he refused a job offer from France which had a 16 Lang salary per month, a 5 BHK house and a car worth 2.5 crore. Wonder which that car is!
If mods allow me, I can share the IG post here.

Hey, why don't we invite him to Team BHP? He can showcase his drones.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed