Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2020, 20:25   #31
BHPian

Re: Advice on payment gateways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Best will be to post here as well for benefits of other readers unless there is something confidential.
[Felt this was better for a PM as I was seeking details. Please PM / post depending on the contents and your comfort. I'll respond in the same medium.]

Saw your post. Can you describe your setup a bit - like is it web based or physical. If it is web based do you have some software vendor or you write software yourself.

If you want a payment link the payer must be opening the link on his/her mobile device that is linked with his/her bank.

If you use QR code you can display it and payer can scan with the mobile.

A sample minimal URL is

upi://pay?pa=$PA&pn=$NICKNAME&am=$AMT&tn=$REMARKS

Where $PA: is payment address i.e. your own VPA. $NICKNAME is payee name i.e. your business name, $AMT is amount $REMARKS are transaction remarks.

For static link you can leave out the last two fields, then user will be allowed to fill. For dynamic ones populate those.

The NPCI UPI spec is a good document to understand URL formation.

https://www.npci.org.in/sites/defaul..._ver%201.6.pdf

Will be happy to help if you have further doubts.
mayuresh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 20:46   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post

Will be happy to help if you have further doubts.
Also wish to share some more experiences:
  1. If an account doesn't have a VPA, <acno>@<ifsc>.ifsc.npci is your default payment address. As per UPI standard each UPI app is supposed to support it. But in reality only a few apps do, namely PhonePe, Google Pay, SBI app. There might be a few other. But majority of other apps defy the standard by not supporting this nice feature of UPI.
  2. Above feature allows non individual accounts (such as corporate accounts) to get on UPI platform easily. But wish the UPI standard enforcement is better. NPCI is supposed to approve the apps by testing and it seems they aren't doing it that well. Nevertheless most banks would also offer a proper VPA on request to such accounts.
  3. The NPCI / RBI set limit on a single UPI txn is Rs 1 lakh which is quite good. But most banks bring it down to to much smaller amounts like 20k. For one, I know DBS bank is most liberal in this with a limit of 1 lakh.
  4. Further to the bank limit some apps put some nasty limits, which again should be seen as a compliance issue by NPCI. The flagship BHIM app itself puts a limit of 20k. So effectively it is lower of the two - bank's limit and app's limit.
  5. Recently some popular apps like Google Pay and Phone Pay have started another annoying limit. If you use a deep linked URL they put a limit of Rs 4000 per transaction. For all other means of payment your bank's limit would be honored.
  6. Another annoyance with banks is, some banks remove the 'tn' (transaction note or message) field of the payment in the statement of accounts. This is again a compliance issue, rules poorly enforced. It makes reconciliation hard. But I have seen this less common. Most of the banks do retain the field.
  7. At times some major apps like PhonePe had done some nasty breaking of protocol - which I think is now corrected. They used to override the tn field and putting their own message 'You are making this payment from your bank account' over there. Personally I have followed up at the highest levels in NPCI to force them to reconsider. I do not know whether due to such follow up by many people or otherwise, Phone Pe seems to have corrected their mistake - which basically appeared to be poor understanding of the protocol by their developers.
IMHO UPI is a great invention. Unfortunately it hasn't received the response it deserves. As there is no room for middlemen to make money there are no commercial forces standing behind popularizing it. Silver lining is some trader groups seem to be realizing this: Recently, in an area popular for book shops in Pune I noticed nearly each dealer insisted that they accept either cash or UPI payment. On asking about credit cards they said, why would they pay 2% to middlemen when for UPI is free. Even customers get good cashbacks from the likes of Google Pay.

At times you might come across issues as I stated above, which could be a fault of the app developers or the bank, but usually not of the UPI platform itself. It's good to understand the basic protocol, so that you know whom to push for corrections.

Last edited by mayuresh : 28th July 2020 at 20:55.
mayuresh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 18:48   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

UPI for Feature phone being launched today: Doesnt need internet connection

https://www.news18.com/news/business...s-4848767.html

Quote:
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on Tuesday launched a new digital payment mode — Unified Payments Interface (UPI) called UPI123Pay for feature phones. Till now, the UPI system has been limited to smartphones with internet connections. There are roughly 180 crore mobile phone users in India. Of which, 78 crore use smart phones, and rest use feature phones. Thousands of people have not been able to carry out UPI transactions due to the phone they use. To include all such users and bring them into the mainstream digital payment, the central bank of India introduced this new mode of payment.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 22:58   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
UPI for Feature phone being launched today: Doesnt need internet connection

https://www.news18.com/news/business...s-4848767.html
I think it was available before as well; based on USSD and flash messages which worked on feature phones too. Is this one something new?
Old 8th March 2022, 23:02   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I think it was available before as well; based on USSD and flash messages which worked on feature phones too. Is this one something new?
Do you have info on the earlier version ? Would like to read up on that.
Old 8th March 2022, 23:06   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Do you have info on the earlier version ? Would like to read up on that.
https://www.businesstoday.in/amp/ind...068-2022-01-06

I’ve tried this before; though only the initial few menu levels. Seemed to work fine and as intended. Never made a payment through this service though.

Last edited by saket77 : 8th March 2022 at 23:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks