Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2020, 21:07   #1
BHPian

Blessed with a Baby Boy, but not so blessed with Covid-19

Last one & half months have been crazy for us(myself & my wife). We were blessed with a baby boy but soon after both of us were affected with covid-19. Now both of us have recovered from it by god's grace. I would like to share my experience of corona with fellow bhpian's. Moderator's please delete this post if it's inappropriate for this forum. i will start from day of delivery of my wife as she was infected in the hospital itself & i caught it from her. The hospital in question is a leading private hospital in Faridabad. For the sake of simplicity i will refer it as XYZ. Don't want to disclose it's identity as hospital had nothing to do with our corona. It was our sheer bad luck that we got affected. But there were a few flaws in hospital's treatment which did affect us gradually.

23rd June,2020: Since last one week my wife has been going for check up at XYZ Hospital & a different private clinic. The doctor's treating her at hospital advised her to get the delivery done as early as possible because her AST, ALT & ALP values were very high and these might affect our child. But the doctor at clinic advised her to wait for sometime as child's growth was not much at that time. Her original delivery was scheduled on 2nd week of July.So delivery now will a bit premature. On the above mentioned date my wife went for her check up as usual. But the doctor's insisted to get her admitted because of the above mentioned condition. This day was an auspicious day(Rath Yatra) so we budged and she was admitted. By God's Grace everything went well & we were blessed with a Baby Boy. I couldn't control my tears of Joy when i saw him for the first time. Both mother & baby were stable by end of the day.

24th June,2020:Baby is doing good & wife is stable as well. She was under heavy antibiotic dose & was drowsy most of the times due to those medicines.

25th June,2020: Wife was having slight fever. Doctor's said that it's a common post pregnancy complication & advised her DOLO 650. She was on liquid diet but couldn't eat much due to fever & weakness.

26th June, 2020: Wife's fever persisted & we were slightly worried now.Doctor's inspected her dressing and saw infection in her wound. They concluded this might be a reason for fever. Her antibiotics were changed accordingly & advised for Urine Culture Analysis. She was supposed to be discharged today but it couldn't be done due to above factors.

27th June, 2020: Wife was feeling slightly better but fever persisted.

28th June, 2020: Her fever was under control today & baby was doing good. Both were discharged from hospital & we returned home all smiles(little did we know that this smile would be short lived).

All of you might be wondering why i have described so much on daily basis above. These have significance which i will gradually describe later on. In the meanwhile i had to make multiple trips to hospital for collecting reports, consulting doctors etc. While waiting in queue for collecting lab reports, i could see that 9 out of 10 people are standing for their corona test reports. This is where the fear of corona stuck me. I don't know the person in front of me or behind me is corona positive or not. To add to our woes my wife was diagnosed with UTI as well.

After returning home my wife was constantly worried about corona situation as she was admitted in hospital for almost one week & the said hospital XYZ had lots of corona patients. Her fever was gone but her nostrils were blocked and she was not getting any smell. I have heard that temporary loss of smell is a mild symptom of corona. We decided to get her tested soon. We also had our elderly parents in our house who were very much vulnerable. Now i will skip to my first day of symptom & proceed gradually.

Day 1: I was returning from hospital with baby's bilirubin report when all of a sudden i felt very weak while driving. I was feeling tired & fatigued. I accounted it due to change in weather & shrugged it off. Oximeter level was 96-97. I could feel fever at evening. Measured with thermometer & saw 99.3 F. I thought it may be due to weather changes & carried on with my chores. Weakness was increasing gradually & i couldn't have my dinner as well. Decided to sleep in a different room alone. I was literally shaking while sleeping & could feel something strike me inside. May be my worst fears were coming true.

Day 2: I woke up feeling somewhat better. There was no fever but i had caught cold. Oximeter level was 96-97.I consulted a few doctor friends who assured me it might be a normal viral fever & not to worry. I carried on with my works while maintaining distance from my family members. Physically i was feeling fit now. Meanwhile my wife tested for covid-19 today.I decided to wait for a day or two. I had 100 F fever again in the evening and felt stomach was upset as well.But the fever retracted after latrine.

Day 3: I woke up feeling slightly weak. There was slight fever of 99 F. I was having runny nose & slight cough. While having my breakfast i realized that i was not getting proper taste of food. Even maggi tasted sour. Fever was increasing gradually and for the first time i took crocin. Oximeter level dipped a bit to 95 today. Couldn't do much work & spent rest of the day rested. Wife's report came today evening & she turned out to be positive. We were shocked and in despair. We didn't know what to do at this moment. Everyone advised her to keep her calm & consult doctor tomorrow morning.We also decided to get myself & her tested again just to confirm.I consoled her but deep inside i knew that i have 95% chances of coming positive as i was with her in hospital most of the time. Plus my symptoms are indicating the same.Everyone of us started having Vitamin C & Multivitamin today as a precautionary measure. But i think it's too late for me.

Day 4: I woke up with a heavy heart & arranged for my wife's teleconsultation with doctor of hospital XYZ. Doctor's listened to her history and said that corona virus is retreating now as her symptoms are mild. Plus the fever she had in hospital were due to corona(that's why i described date wise earlier). They advised her 17 days home quarantine with medicines & regular gargle. She could carry on feeding our baby but with hands well sanitised and with N95 masks. Apart from that she should maintain distance from him.Her oximeter level showed 97. My fever was 102 F today & i was feeling very weak. Oximeter showed 95 today.I had this uncanny habit of smelling my palms after applying hand sanitiser. Did the same today as well but i couldn't get smell at times. So my worst fears are coming true.I prayed to god somehow my report comes negative so that i can take my baby for checkup or any medical emergency. But at the sametime i realised i needed treatment for my present physical condition. As expected both of our reports came positive. So now our condition is as follow:

Both myself & my wife are corona positive and we have a 2 week old baby & 70+ aged parents in home.

The above condition took some time for me to digest. But soon i realized it's not the time for me to break down, rather i have to act strong & decide the future course of actions. I immediately consulted pediatrician,explained to him our situation and enquired about baby's covid test. He said that immediate test is not required. It may be done after 5 6 days if baby develops some symptoms. Parent's didn't want to get tested as they thought that whoever gets tested turns out to be positive. Tried to convince them but to no avail. Anyways myself & my wife locked ourselves at different rooms & our parents along with the baby were in different room.

Day 5: I could hardly sleep the previous night because of fear & anxiety. Fever was 100 F in the morning & oximeter level was 95. Consulted doctor of hospital XYZ & explained to her my symptoms. She advised same 17 days home quarantine along with few medicines(Azithromycin, HCQS & Dolo 650 sos) for 5 days. She also advised steam therapy for my cold. Started all the medications from today. Developed 101 F fever again at evening & took dolo 650. Couldn't have dinner properly.Body was so weak that i couldn't even gather enough courage to go to washroom.

Day 6: I woke up feeling a bit better mentally as medication has started. Fever was 99 F & oxygen level was still 95. But weakness has decreased a bit. I could sit on attached verandah for sometime. Apart from that rest of the day was spent resting. Took steam therapy twice a day & all the medicines on time. Appetite for food has increased a bit & i could slowly feel taste in food. Had 100 F fever at night so took dolo 650.

Day 7: Woke up fresh & much better today. Didn't have fever & oxygen level increased a bit to 96 today. Apart from that, for the first time in a week i felt hungry.Maybe this was a sign of recovery. Was getting proper taste of food today. Rest of the day was mostly uneventful. Had 99 F fever at evening but didn't take medicine as fever was low.

Day 8: Didn't have fever today & oxygen level increased to 97. Apart from that i could eat more than i could manage for last 3 4 days. My wife got her smell sensation back today. May be these are signs of good things to come. Baby is doing well along with our parents.

Day 9: No fever & oxygen level 97 going up to 98 at times. Appetite for food increasing. Felt much better physically and posted after a long time on teambhp coronavirus thread. Resumed playing PES Mobile as well. The day went uneventful. Today 5 days medicines are going to be over. Have to consult doctor tomorrow for future course of action.

Day 10: Today also no fever & oxygen level 97-98. But due to slight weather changes caught cold today. Teleconsulted with doctor of hospital XYZ as planned & explained to her current symptoms. She discontinued the previous medicines and advised only one medicine(Montelac) for cold. Today is the 3rd day complete without fever. This somewhat indicates offset of corona.

I don't have much to report after this since i have mostly recovered now. The cold was gradually gone in 3 4 days time & weakness was also not there. I continued having vitamin c, multivitamin & steam therapy till day 17. Oxygen level hovered around 97-98. Wife was also perfectly alright now.I consulted doctor on day 17 & told her my condition. She told to discontinue all medicines as am fit now. I enquired about restest but she advised against it as it's not required as per MHA guidelines. Also as per their experience test results after quarantine are vague at times. After serving our quarantine we got asymptomatic certificate from Govt. Of Haryana. Both of us & our baby are doing now.

I would like to summarize my experience as follows:

My Symptoms-

1. Fever
2. Runny Nose
3. Cough
4. Loss of smell
5. Loss of taste

My Medications-

1. Azithromycin(Not to be used without consulting doctor)
2. HQCS(Not to be used without consulting doctor)
3. Montelac
4. Demci(Vit-c)
5. A to Z(Multivitamin)
6. Dolo 650(sos)
7. Steam therapy twice a day.

Precautions taken-

1. Oximeter level measured twice a day. Mine was at borderline on 95 at peak corona. If it falls below 94 then you should consult doctor immediately.
2. Drinking lot of water.
3. Having healthy protein diet.
4. Used separate dedicated utensils for myself which was always kept in my room & washed by me as well.
5. Avoided going to common areas unless absolutely necessary. Wore a N95 mask if i had to go.
6. Sanitizing common touch points on a regular basis
7. Maintained personal hygiene as much as possible. Kept my room clean.

While going through my experience some of you might have wondered how we managed groceries, daily essentials & medicines for this 17 days being home quarantined. The answer is everything was managed from our society. They were very helpful and supportive towards us. Whatever we needed it was delivered at our doorstep by them. I couldn't thank them enough for what they did for us. Without them things could have been different for us.

My advice to fellow bhpian's:

Please don't panic. It's just like any other flu as all of you might have wondered while going through my experience. Just keep yourself safe & try to maintain social distancing. Have a healthy diet and keep yourself hydrated. Keep an oximeter with you and monitor spo2 level regularly. Even if you get affected and you don't have any underlying medical conditions,you will overcome it with proper medication.

Last but not the least, waiting for this pandemic to be over soon so that all of us can hit the road again.
Fordlover88 is offline   (207) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 22:32   #2
BHPian

re: Blessed with a Baby Boy, but not so blessed with Covid-19

This post by you can show light of hope to many who browse Team-Bhp every now and then. The time is very crucial and example like you who braved the crisis with many other adversities takes no time to exude a gleam of happiness over the mind. I hope, everything is fine in your family now. May God bless your baby boy and take care. And wish you many many happy miles with your beloved EcoSport.
Blooming Flower is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 23:32   #3
BHPian

re: Blessed with a Baby Boy, but not so blessed with Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming Flower View Post
This post by you can show light of hope to many who browse Team-Bhp every now and then. The time is very crucial and example like you who braved the crisis with many other adversities takes no time to exude a gleam of happiness over the mind.
Thanks a lot bro. Yes it was a difficult time for us indeed but we managed to overcome it with God's Grace. Just wanted to help fellow bhpian's by implying that being corona positive is not end of the road. Hope this post helps. Yes baby and mother both are doing good now. But one thing i missed in the original post is that i terribly missed my Beast. Was away from it for close to one month.
Fordlover88 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 10:40   #4
BHPian

Re: Blessed with a Baby Boy, but not so blessed with Covid-19

Hi Fordlover88,
Congratulations on the healthy Baby Boy. Welcome to Parenthood.

Thanks for the detailed explanation of your situation & how was it dealt with. It will certainly help us all and be prepared if we have to face such a situation. Personal hygiene is of utmost importance to fight against Corona.
daredemon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 11:15   #5
BHPian

Thanks for sharing Sourav.

We almost went through a similar experience when we welcomed our baby girl on May 31st. Due date was 3 rd week of June and we were advised to get admitted on May 30.

I will be lying if I say that corona fear wasn't heavy on my mind. When ever I get a slight fever or fatigue or cold, I get worried. Unfortunately I have other health complications which increases risk.

Reading your account, It looks like Corona infection was around June 25th and only around July 1st the symptoms like fever and loss of smell / taste started surfacing ?

I am feeling fatigued with slight cold / throat soreness, but cant tell as its raining heavily these days in Bangalore. Fingers crossed
charanreddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 11:55   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hi Sourav,

First of all, let me congratulate you on the birth of your child. It's truly wonderful being a parent. God bless your family.

It's unfortunate that your better half and you were infected by the virus in a period of joy. What is good to know is that you have recovered. And thanks a lot for sharing your experience and advice.

Having old parents and a 2 year old daughter at home, my wife and I have been very careful with our actions since March. However, my brother and sister-in-law are expecting their first child sometime in September - October. We are always worried when they visit the hospital / clinic for a check-up.
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 13:47   #7
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the post man. Appreciate the effort taken to explain in detail everything. Kudos to you .
SK01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 14:24   #8
BHPian

Wish your family a healthy life and a new life leaving the hard times behind.
Amrik Singh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 14:49   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordlover88 View Post
.....Both myself & my wife are corona positive and we have a 2 week old baby & 70+ aged parents in home.

The above condition took some time for me to digest. But soon i realized it's not the time for me to break down, rather i have to act strong & decide the future course of actions.....

My advice to fellow bhpian's:

Please don't panic. It's just like any other flu as all of you might have wondered while going through my experience. Just keep yourself safe & try to maintain social distancing. Have a healthy diet and keep yourself hydrated. Keep an oximeter with you and monitor spo2 level regularly. Even if you get affected and you don't have any underlying medical conditions,you will overcome it with proper medication.....
Fordlover88,

First things first. CONGRATULATIONS on your son!! Kids are the best thing in the world. I know that your journey to becoming a parent came with extra anxiety towards the end; but believe me, while I was reading your story, I was less worried about the Covid part. However, the part of the story where you were dealing with the decision of whether or not to deliver the baby early gave me some anxiety. I am so happy to read that the baby and the mother are doing well. My prayers and best wishes to you and your lovely family.

Next, a big thank you to you for your words from the quoted portions above. You are absolutely right. Courage and strength are our only options. Being afraid and taking decisions (both micro and macro) based on that fear will lead us only down a path of ruin.

I will tell you a small anecdote from my family.

My mom is a very pious woman. But, her mom came from more pragmatic stock. While not a day goes by when my mom doesn’t spend at least an hour in puja, I have not caught my grandma praying; like EVER. Of course, she wasn't without faith. She did have a small puja area in her house in which she lit a lamp twice a day. But, that's where it stopped. She would light that lamp and go about her day.

A few times an year, my mom would invest time in Ashtalakshmi puja. During one such puja, I was sitting next to my mom in prayer. My grandmom walked by and teased me for behaving like a senior citizen. Then she beckoned me over and told me, "Let me save you some time. Here's a shortcut. You don't have to pray to every form of Goddess Lakshmi. Just pray to the Lakshmi who gifts you with courage. If you have her on your side, the other seven Lakshmis will come running to you.."

Till date, not a day goes by when I don't remember her words. This frail little woman who stubbornly stayed independent until a few months before she passed away at 86. She single-handedly took care of her paralyzed husband for 5 straight years until his death. Her kids came by and helped. But, she never asked them to; and she never agreed to move my granddad to a care facility. After his death, she lived by herself in her own house for another 10 years. She cooked for herself. She cleaned up after herself. She was up at the crack of dawn and worked right until 9 PM in the upkeep of her house. She actively managed her own money till the end. Until a few years before she left, she was also actively managing the earnings of one of her sons who is deaf and mute. She grew his money and set him up with a house and a retirement corpus of his own. She got him married to a lady like herself and then helped them raise their children. Heck, she raised both me and my brother until we were almost 7 or 8. More than once she has advised me against being swayed by posh locations when house hunting because, according to her, the high prices in such locations are typically a function of their up-market hype, and have very little to do with the value that is actually on offer.

Despite being a diabetic and a pressure patient for 25 odd years, she never allowed herself to feel the slightest self-pity; and she never acquiesced to any of our requests to move in with one of her sons who lived only a street away. She also watched the news constantly and had very unequivocal opinions on the administration's decisions. Not for her was the wimpy lives of some of her children. She had things to say and stuff to do, and to hell with being afraid.

Every time that I went to visit her well into her 80s, she would single-handedly cook me elaborate meals and would tell me to be unafraid to eat. She would ask me about the latest developments in Test cricket and tell me that I should maybe give Virat Kohli a chance in my head and heart!!

Once my kids were born, every time I took them to meet her, I would be amazed her at nonchalance around them. My own parents are ever anxious to ensure that the kids don't get hurt around the house. Not my grandma. She was cool and composed as she went about her daily duties and my little ones would run alongside her as she handled heavy vessels, boiling hot liquids in the kitchen. She would tell me to stop worrying and that kids are stronger than us. She should know. She raised only like 10 of them.

Blessed with a Baby Boy, but not so blessed with Covid-19-patti2.jpg
Visiting her was the tonic I desperately needed every now and then.

Blessed with a Baby Boy, but not so blessed with Covid-19-patti4.jpg
Busy Busy Busy at 85.

Blessed with a Baby Boy, but not so blessed with Covid-19-patti1.jpg
She cooked for me and for everyone who visited her daily.

Blessed with a Baby Boy, but not so blessed with Covid-19-patti6.jpg
Always smiling and NEVER afraid.

My granddad was a cop and my grandma told me more than once that I missed my calling; and that I should have signed up to serve. She was right. I should have listened to her. But, I thank God that she left us before the pandemic. Because if she had run into any of the folks cowering in the corner for fear of the virus, despite being in the primes of their lives, she would have let them know exactly what she thought of them.

Cheers

Last edited by mohansrides : 31st July 2020 at 14:56.
mohansrides is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 14:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the healthy Baby Boy.

Thanks for giving blow-by-blow account of the infection. This will help others who (unfortunately) might experience the same journey.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 15:21   #11
BHPian

First of all congratulations on entering fatherhood. I should say that this post of yours has given me a ray of hope.

I have a few questions (misconceptions) about COVID-19.

1. Do we have fever as a common symptom in case of COVID-19 positive.
2. Do we have running nose and dry cough (common symptom or differs from one another).
3. I am using gas mask as a preventive measure, Venus V-800, is it safe?

It would be helpful if someone can please help me find answers to the above questions.
Sasanka_Sanga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 15:32   #12
BHPian

For most of the folks, the effect is like Flu or lesser than that. 10% of the people will have severe infection. So please take care .. We are working on the grounds so know the reality. In Hyderabad we are running ambulance services and last ride services for needy people (https://indianexpress.com/article/fa...urney-6527481/). With two ambulances, we are not able to fulfill all the requests. So you can imagine the severity of the issue I am talking about .Please take care, stay home and stay safe.
anumod is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 16:40   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredemon View Post
Hi Fordlover88,
Congratulations on the healthy Baby Boy. Welcome to Parenthood.

Thanks for the detailed explanation of your situation & how was it dealt with. It will certainly help us all and be prepared if we have to face such a situation. Personal hygiene is of utmost importance to fight against Corona.
Thanks a lot @daredemon. Yes personal hygiene is very important in our fight against corona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
Thanks for sharing Sourav.

We almost went through a similar experience when we welcomed our baby girl on May 31st. Due date was 3 rd week of June and we were advised to get admitted on May 30.

I will be lying if I say that corona fear wasn't heavy on my mind. When ever I get a slight fever or fatigue or cold, I get worried. Unfortunately I have other health complications which increases risk.

Reading your account, It looks like Corona infection was around June 25th and only around July 1st the symptoms like fever and loss of smell / taste started surfacing ?

I am feeling fatigued with slight cold / throat soreness, but cant tell as its raining heavily these days in Bangalore. Fingers crossed
Congratulations on becoming a dad @charanreddy. Hope mother & baby are doing well. Yes most probably i was infected on 25th & the symptoms started showing up on 1st July. Medical research suggests that symptoms start showing between day 3 to 7 of getting affected. Since you have underlying medical conditions, i would request you to get yourself tested. Weather may contribute for a few factors but there's no harm in being tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Hi Sourav,

First of all, let me congratulate you on the birth of your child. It's truly wonderful being a parent. God bless your family.

It's unfortunate that your better half and you were infected by the virus in a period of joy. What is good to know is that you have recovered. And thanks a lot for sharing your experience and advice.

Having old parents and a 2 year old daughter at home, my wife and I have been very careful with our actions since March. However, my brother and sister-in-law are expecting their first child sometime in September - October. We are always worried when they visit the hospital / clinic for a check-up.
Thanks a lot @Aditya. We did miss our share of joy with our boy but we will make up for it gradually. Good to see you being extra cautious regarding your parents & daughter. They are more vulnerable than us. Best wishes to your brother & sister-in-law. Going out is worrisome now but check up's are unavoidable in this situation. Just ask them to be safe as much as possible. If possible ask them to visit clinic instead of hospital for regular check-up's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK01 View Post
Thanks a lot for the post man. Appreciate the effort taken to explain in detail everything. Kudos to you .
Thanks a lot @SK01.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Wish your family a healthy life and a new life leaving the hard times behind.
Thanks a lot @Amrik Singh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Fordlover88,

First things first. CONGRATULATIONS on your son!! Kids are the best thing in the world. I know that your journey to becoming a parent came with extra anxiety towards the end; but believe me, while I was reading your story, I was less worried about the Covid part. However, the part of the story where you were dealing with the decision of whether or not to deliver the baby early gave me some anxiety. I am so happy to read that the baby and the mother are doing well. My prayers and best wishes to you and your lovely family.
Thanks a lot @mohansrides. Being a parent is a different feeling altogether which we were craving for since a long time. Yes we were very worried about her prematured delivery but we had no other options left as doctor advised her to get admitted without further delay. By God's Grace everything went well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
I will tell you a small anecdote from my family.

My mom is a very pious woman. But, her mom came from more pragmatic stock. While not a day goes by when my mom doesn’t spend at least an hour in puja, I have not caught my grandma praying; like EVER. Of course, she wasn't without faith. She did have a small puja area in her house in which she lit a lamp twice a day. But, that's where it stopped. She would light that lamp and go about her day.

A few times an year, my mom would invest time in Ashtalakshmi puja. During one such puja, I was sitting next to my mom in prayer. My grandmom walked by and teased me for behaving like a senior citizen. Then she beckoned me over and told me, "Let me save you some time. Here's a shortcut. You don't have to pray to every form of Goddess Lakshmi. Just pray to the Lakshmi who gifts you with courage. If you have her on your side, the other seven Lakshmis will come running to you.."
Thanks for sharing the beautiful journey of your grandmother. She must be smiling in heaven that she had done everything she could have done for you & others. Her journey will inspire all of us that age is no excuse for giving up. If we have the will power and determination to carry on then no one can stop us. Thank's again for sharing her story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Congratulations on the healthy Baby Boy.

Thanks for giving blow-by-blow account of the infection. This will help others who (unfortunately) might experience the same journey.
Thanks a lot @NetfreakBombay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasanka_Sanga View Post
First of all congratulations on entering fatherhood. I should say that this post of yours has given me a ray of hope.

I have a few questions (misconceptions) about COVID-19.

1. Do we have fever as a common symptom in case of COVID-19 positive.
2. Do we have running nose and dry cough (common symptom or differs from one another).
3. I am using gas mask as a preventive measure, Venus V-800, is it safe?

It would be helpful if someone can please help me find answers to the above questions.
Thank's a lot @Sasanka_Sanga. Am trying to answer your question's from my personal experience.

1. Yes fever is a common symptom of covid -19 but that doesn't imply that it's a mandatory symptoms. There are many positive cases who don't have fever.

2. This is also a common symptom mostly associated with fever. But there have been many asymptomatic positive cases who neither had fever nor cough & cold.

3. I don't have much idea about gas masks. I normally used to wear 3 ply surgical masks but switched to N95 masks during corona period.

Doctor's in the forum can answer your queries better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
For most of the folks, the effect is like Flu or lesser than that. 10% of the people will have severe infection. So please take care .. We are working on the grounds so know the reality. In Hyderabad we are running ambulance services and last ride services for needy people (https://indianexpress.com/article/fa...urney-6527481/). With two ambulances, we are not able to fulfill all the requests. So you can imagine the severity of the issue I am talking about .Please take care, stay home and stay safe.
Thanks a lot @anumod. Great to see you doing your bit for the society. Best wishes from my side.

Last edited by GTO : 1st August 2020 at 07:33. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Fordlover88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 17:38   #14

Dear Fordlover88,

Congratulations on becoming a proud father. Also happy to hear about your fight with this deadly virus and emerging victorious. Surely you will have a great story to tell your son when he grows up.

Reading your agony and never give up attitude, I have felt empowered to list down by experience with COVID as well, which may be useful to our fellow forum members.

I work for a hospital. It all started with one of my colleagues being tested positive for COVID.
I was at my home speaking to my sister on a video call (who resides abroad) updating her about the situation here.
Suddenly I get a whatsapp message from one of my Seniors that a colleague is tested positive and we all siting around in the same area need to go a for a COVID test.
I was quite sure that I would be negative and argued why I should undergo the test. But he reasoned that its a management decision and looking at our and our family safety it would be prudent to undergo the test. Hence I budged.

Next day morning went to hospital for COVID testing. Gave a nasal swab, came home and the wait for the result started. The time seemed to be stopped, no passing at all. Though I was sure I may be negative, started my self isolation from other family members before the results.
So sharp at 04:30 PM got the the most dreaded news of my life that I have tested POSITIVE (dated 30th July 2020).

Seemed like the heaven has fallen over me. Seriously for the next 15 mins or so did not understand anything and panic struck. Somehow gathered my thoughts and informed my mother who was at work also to undergo the test as well as we used to travel to work together every day and was concerned about her health.
However I did not have enough courage to call and inform my wife about it (she was at her mother's home due to pregnancy)

Sense prevailed and thought about how a lot of affected patients were getting treated and cured. So mustered courage and decided that I will fight this virus with all that I have and will win this battle.

After a few calls & whatsapp messages to a few known doctors got some basic medication which included Multi Vitamins & Tab Limcee /Celin which is a Vitamin C tab.
As I was Asymptomatic, I was given other tabs like Azee, Dolo etc to keep handy just in case I develop any symptoms on a later date (which I did not take as I was Asymptomatic through my quarantine)

Also under went through a video consultation by a Doctor from the hospital. One point to mention is that it helped me with a positive outlook towards getting cured and the doctors and nurses team continuously called in every day for follow up on my illness. Also diet was given to have during this quarantine period.
Got a certificate from the treating doctor for a Home Quarantine for 17 days which is very helpful inorder to submit to our respective Society and administrative / municipal corporations.

A big shout out and loads of praises to our Municipal & Health workers and the Police who continuously have helped people fight this deadly disease.
They followed up almost every day for the first week and the Municipal workers came to sanitize our house and society. Trust me needs a lot of courage to enter a house where there is an infected person.

So next day, got my mother's report and luckily she tested negative. What a sign of relief! In the meantime my mother informed my wife about my status, who by then was in all tears. Video called her and told her to be strong and asked her to give me courage and motivation so that I can be out from this situation soon.

Hence started the cure and agony of 17 days of quarantine.

Following are the few things I have done inorder to get rid of this virus.

1. Started with the Multi vitamins, Vitamin C tab immediately. I did not take the antibiotics or paracetamol as did not have any symptoms.

2. Very important Kadha was made by mother which I used to drink almost 7-8 times a day.

3. Steam vaporiser as many times possible, I used to take.

4. Complete isolation from other family members ( mom and dad) in my own room.

5. Used disposable plates, spoons, cups etc for consuming food or medicines.

6. Cleaned my whole room including furniture with dettol and water every day to sanitize

7. Changed the bed and pillow covers daily

8. Had a designated bathroom for me which was only used by me. No other family members were even permitted to go inside for any cleaning activities. All were carried out by me.

9. Did my betadine gargles or salt water gargeles daily twice a day.

10. Had home cooked, nutritious and rich protein diet as advised by the dietician.

11. Checked my blood pressure, temperature and Oxygen saturation on daily basis in order to check for any changes. Thank God did not have any thing alarming.

12. Kept a Positive outlook throughout and believed that I will get through.

After 17 days, did a video consultation with my doctor and she gave a me certificate that I have been treated for COVID and cured from the disease.
Wow! Was waiting for this day. It seemed like its been years that I was waiting to hear this. I was finally going to visit the other parts of my house and also more than that allowed to go out.
The very next day got up early morning, fired up my car (Manza) and went for a short drive of approx 5 kms near my house. Felt like heaven to drive after such a long time.
We car enthusiasts certainly cannot live without driving our machines even for a single day!

In the afternoon took out my Grand I10 and went for a spin to my wife's father's house which is approx 25kms from my place. I knew exactly what I was missing (the DRIVE).
The grin on my face became wider and wider as an when I munched the miles.

Surprised my wife who was not expecting me to be there. The Joy on her face made me forget all the pains and sufferings that I had gone through.

Key learnings from this episode:-

1. Do not panic or get scared. This disease is treatable if proper medical guidance is taken with utmost care. Fear is the greatest enemy in these times.

2. Stay positive & motivated at all times. This positive outlook will help you fight this battle even better.

3. Family is the greatest support system. Try to be happy and smiling around a infected patient. No negative talks please!

4. Take all medicines on time and also don't forget the Kadha and the Steam inhalation.
Self isolation is the best isolation.

5. Follow all the precautions laid down by the administration. They are for your betterment

6. Dont forget that apart from your family members there is machine waiting down in your parking who is also silently praying for your well being.
You need to be back ASAP to drive her/ him

I hope my fellow members may get some help with my experience shared here.
Trust all are in good health and pray that this pandemic comes to an end soon.
Silver_Knight is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 18:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Knight View Post
Dear Fordlover88,

Congratulations on becoming a proud father. Also happy to hear about your fight with this deadly virus and emerging victorious. Surely you will have a great story to tell your son when he grows up.

Reading your agony and never give up attitude, I have felt empowered to list down by experience with COVID as well, which may be useful to our fellow forum members.
Thanks a lot @Silver_Knight. Ha ha, yes that's one positive aspect of corona. Glad to know that you successfully overcame covid-19 with a positive mindset. Thank's for sharing your experiences with us. It will certainly be helpful for us. Congratulations to you & your wife for your's would be baby.

Quote:
After 17 days, did a video consultation with my doctor and she gave a me certificate that I have been treated for COVID and cured from the disease.
Wow! Was waiting for this day. It seemed like its been years that I was waiting to hear this. I was finally going to visit the other parts of my house and also more than that allowed to go out.
My process was similar to you as well. We got a certificate from Govt. of haryana which states that we have completed our 17 days home isolation & are asymptomatic right now.Did you enquire your doctor about retest? I am content with asymptomatic certificate right now but i wish to get a covid test done again soon. Just waiting for few days to pass as if i do test now i might come positive again due to dead corona cells.

Quote:
The very next day got up early morning, fired up my car (Manza) and went for a short drive of approx 5 kms near my house. Felt like heaven to drive after such a long time.
We car enthusiasts certainly cannot live without driving our machines even for a single day!
I also went for a short drive just after my quarantine.Took my wife's etios cross. I terribly missed my beast and i bet he missed me as well. It felt great to be back on driver's seat after a long time.

Last edited by Fordlover88 : 31st July 2020 at 18:38.

Most Viewed