Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2020, 10:41   #16
BHPian

Re: Truecaller identifies 29.7 billion spam calls, 8.5 billion spam SMS for Indian users in '19

Initially around 2012-13, I was very skeptical about truecaller and never installed it on my phone. The sole reason was I never wanted to make mine and family members number to be visible.

This was a myth, if not my phone, truecaller anyways took it from my friend's phone. If you wish to not appear your number on anyone's phone. You can simply do it easily on their website.

Today I am big advocate of truecaller, I like the features provided by them. Almost every app in phone has access to our contact book so why not truecaller.

I still did not install truecaller SMS app. I think, giving SMS access is way too much.
dicor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 10:52   #17
BHPian

Re: Truecaller identifies 29.7 billion spam calls, 8.5 billion spam SMS for Indian users in '19

Being an Ex Sales, I find this as a very useful tool. I use a seperate phone & have configured it with a separate email for my office contacts. A lot of site level contacts are tagged by the client name and help in decoding whom I am talking to for deliveries etc.

For my personal use, I dont trust this
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 11:09   #18
BHPian

Not sure if anyone has noticed it or experienced it, but one cool feature is that True Caller notifies you at least 8-10 seconds in advance if someone is going to call you. That way it becomes easy to manage a difficult phone call.

The free version of the app does most of the things required so I did not opt for the paid version. There should not be much concern about data security with True Caller since there are n number of ways from where our personal data is sold, already.
Swapnil4585 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 11:37   #19
BHPian

Have been using True Caller since long long time. I have a bad habit of not accepting calls from unknown numbers and TC really helps me to check the details later and call them back if in case that was a known person.

I would say the app was better few years back with lesser Ad pop ups and simpler UI. Now they keep on asking me daily to use their UI as the default one for Calls/Messages. Plus they keep pushing their premium subscription window more often.

And to all my friends who thought that they don't see you if you haven'y installed the app, come on your dear friend had already shared your contact details with the TrueCaller app.
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 12:17   #20
Team-BHP Support

I uninstalled Truecaller primarily because it is a major irritant while using Google Maps. Truecalling displaying caller ID over Google Maps is fine. But when I reject the call, the screen (showing caller details) still stays over Google Maps. One has to close the Truecaller window and maximize the Google Maps app manually. This can be hugely distracting while driving.
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 12:19   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Going against the opening opinions by saying that I LOVE TrueCaller and cannot imagine using my smartphone without it. Am a premium paying customer of theirs.

[/ATTACH]
I too am a paying customer of Truecaller and second every word of GTOs post. Couldn't have worded it any better.

My full contact details are there on Truecaller for anyone to see. I used to get at least 5-6 spam calls each day, now all those are easily ignored. Only problem I face is that, some desirable calls(from online marketing firms like Justdial, Indiamart etc) which are undesirable to many get flagged too. But there is no problem after I save them to contacts.

TRUECALLER gets my
autoholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 12:56   #22
VRJ
BHPian

Truecaller is god sent. HDFC bank folks call me at least twice everyday. How annoying. So does Jio and Maruti service centre to send my to car for servicing. I serviced my car once in Hyderabad and they keep calling me asking me to send the car for service even though I repeatedly tell them I don’t live in Hyderabad anymore .Never tried the premium upgrade. It says it can show us who viewed our profile if I upgrade to premium, how true is this? Thank you!

Truecaller identifies 29.7 billion spam calls, 8.5 billion spam SMS for Indian users in '19-fe90395a6e6246a9bee1adf8e8bc92e0.png

Cheers!
Old 20th August 2020, 13:10   #23
BHPian

Request you to not install any non-essential apps at all. Most apps use more resources than you expect. Even google maps uses your transport data to show you higher fares if you travel frequently from an affluent location.

Truecaller reeks of privacy issues! and am surprised it wasn't caught earlier. I personally request any unknown number to send an sms detailing who they are and what they want before receiving a call. Why? Because someone I know got scammed of a large sum because their phone got hacked and the police did not care- a few thousands or lakhs don't matter to the cybercrime department.

I immediately deleted PayTM and google pay. I don't know how the scams work, but I won't participate in them being a victim. If you need to register on some site using a phone number, use a virtual number than many sites give for free. Never give your own number.

Last edited by Cessna182 : 20th August 2020 at 13:11.
Old 20th August 2020, 13:11   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
However there was a pattern for me which I realized: 99% of the calls from unknown numbers were spam. Very rarely someone would call me and I didn't have their number in my phone book. So I decided to delete the app and try living without it. From last 6 months, I don't have Truecaller and it is an inconvenience not having it. The thought of missing an important call plays on your mind everytime you don't pick up a call from unknown number.
I have put my phone on DND since last 2.5 years. No notifications or sounds other than ringtones for phone calls. I check WhatsApp, SMS, Email, etc. only a few times a day.

For phone calls, there is a setting in DND mode that allows ringtone only if someone from your contact list calls or an unknown number calls twice in 15 minutes (useful if someone is having an emergency).

For SMS, I use SMS Organizer from Microsoft and block spammers manually.
jagira is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 13:43   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Going
- There is nothing "private" about my / your phone number. Every car dealer, bank, credit card company, SIM reseller has it, and it's a part of 10,000 lead databases that are sold everyday to marketing departments.
Exactly. Am surprised forum patrons seem to think that their numbers are private.

1) aside from what you said, insurance companies, food and beverage establishments, retail all have your number and believe me when I say you can get a data base of numbers on income category for Rs 10,000 / 100,000 numbers (this was in 2010, guessing it's more pervasive and cheaper now). I know this because I used to authorise the expenses in my division of a very exclusive bank. No one is free from the menace of telecalling.

2) every single app of yours (or at least 95%) are super invasive and have access to your entire phone.

3) even if you don't use TC, many of your acquaintances do, so your number is already out there.

Finally, I see people saying that they are rude to TC'rs. Don't. They are doing a job just as you and I. You don't want their service, a polite no thank you sir or Ma'am will do it. The only time to be rude is there is a persistent TC'r who calls you repeatedly after being told not to or the idiots who call on Sunday at 2 in the afternoon.
Stribog is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 14:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

The news is not surprising. You give your no. at one place and it's just a matter of time before it reaches to countless other places from where spam originates. But I personally love Truecaller. Simply for the reason that it highlights spam nos., allows me to block them specifically and the messages I get from them. Also, I know who I am dialing (99%), the names flashes right up. Also, you can get nos. of people whom you called maybe an year ago but did not save that no. That is an amazing feature. All said and done, there is no escaping the reality of spam calls/messages, why not use an app that helps you filter them out?
Raghu M is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 15:09   #27
BHPian

I believe it is a very useful app and the premium version is well worth it. Our names are no secret and several marketing agencies would be having mine and yours already.
Although IIRC there is this feature that if you don't register the name along with your new number, Truecaller automatically allots the name based on the names your contact has been saved as with other users. If you have a funny pet name your friends call you by then this is not a welcome feature

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Lowflyer23
Lowflyer23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 15:30   #28
BHPian

I find Truecaller to be a very badly designed app. Given its popularity and user base in India, with many people even paying for it, the app looks very primitive and non intuitive.

I did like the idea of a crowd-sourced app, that provides information about the caller with a certain accuracy, but the lack of a clean UI, cluttered interface and advertisements splashed in every available white space, made me mad after a while.

Hence I have stopped using this app completely.
Old 20th August 2020, 15:55   #29
BHPian

Truecaller is extremely useful to me. I get a lot of unwanted calls from banks,credit cards, loan agencies etc. & in this process i tend to ignore calls from unknown numbers. But in this process many a times i have missed some important calls. Truecaller helped to identify them. One more feature i liked the most is that it notifies you of an incoming call even if the the person calling can't connect you. It helps the most in dual sim scenario when i am active on one sim. In such situation the network is not available for the other sim & if someone is calling on the other sim he won't reach me. In such cases too truecaller alerts of incoming calls on the other sim.
Fordlover88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 17:28   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post

And to all my friends who thought that they don't see you if you haven'y installed the app, come on your dear friend had already shared your contact details with the TrueCaller app.
+1 for this.

At a glance your handle name looked like Kamala Harris. I had to look twice to read your handle name carefully.

Everyone,
Initially I had habit of saving credit car numbers and 3DS / Secure code on phonebook. With the arrival of Android, I had stopped doing this. I would suggest everyone to not store confidential / sensitive info in phonebook.
dicor is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks