Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2007, 15:31   #1
BHPian

How often airlines upgrade their fleets?

Once I read that many of AI/IC aircrafts are over 20 years old.

How often do they replace their fleets?

How does Indian airline cos. compare with overseas counterparts?

We often discuss here as this car is too old and needs replacement? But how do I not feel unsafe in decade old aeroplanes?

Any idea?
Old 10th April 2007, 16:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Heard this from a friend. He says, "AI pick airplanes from an airline dumpyard abroad, actually repair them and get it here".

He also added, "Thats why AI engineers are the best".
Old 10th April 2007, 16:45   #3
Team-BHP Support

After a crash if the plane is unrepairable, or completely destroyed, it is replaced, until then its all "Livin' on a prayer"
Old 10th April 2007, 17:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Heard this from a friend. He says, "AI pick airplanes from an airline dumpyard abroad, actually repair them and get it here".

He also added, "Thats why AI engineers are the best".
I find it hard to beleive that. A private airline (air deccan) might do that, not a govt airline & who said AI engineers are the best ? i wouldn't call them the worst, surely they aren't the best.
Old 10th April 2007, 20:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

There was article a few months ago in Times Of India, which said that European aviation sector has some voluntary safety checks and they issue certificate. AI was one of the first airline to receive that certificate.

So somehow I find it hard to believe that they pick airplanes from an airline dump-yard abroad.
Old 10th April 2007, 20:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

This dumpyard thing is all crap. An airframe normally has a lifespan of x years, and the country's regulatory body issues an airworthiness certificate based on a no of parameters, including age, history, service history, etc. In India this would probably be the DGCA.
Old 11th April 2007, 15:53   #7
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday two AI planes came in for advanced L-II landing... thats a emergency landing. In both cases the nosewheels jammed and refused to lock.

While the second incident was not so serious (compared to the first) in the first instance the planes nosewheel collapsed when it was being towed out of the runway after landing. It blocked the IGI airport for the better part of the day. And... the plane was more than 20 years old.

It is a fact that most of the AI and IA planes are decades old... for that matter most airlines rarely ever go for upgradation. As long as they can they keep the planes flying. That is unless they took the plane on lease. Private operators can afford to upgrade their fleet at times since many of their planes are on wet-lease and others on dry lease.
Old 11th April 2007, 15:57   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Private operators can afford to upgrade their fleet at times since many of their planes are on wet-lease and others on dry lease.
What's the difference between two leases?

Few months back, an entire engine of Biman B'Desh fell off to runway in UAE while taking off. Luckily no one was hurn. Biman is known to fly planes 30 yrs old.
Old 11th April 2007, 16:07   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Call it a mental block, a bias or whatever....but I dont think I am flying AI anytime soon.
Old 11th April 2007, 16:17   #10
BHPian

[quote=sbasak;411217]What's the difference between two leases?[quote]

Wet lease is when you lease the aircraft along with the flying crew and also maintainance (this i am not sure). Dry lease is when you take a plane and release it back to the leasing company the way you leased it and this lease does not come with personnel required for the operational requirements.

Regarding AI it is true that most of the AI's 747 series are either in the going to be 20's bracket and most airframes are good for 25 years.

Interesting and veering a little off topic would be that it is infact more expensive to run these older generation aircraft as the newer generation aircraft are more lighter (due to use of composite materials in construction) and better /fuel efficient engine. The difference between a supposedly first generation 747 and latest 747 in fuel savings is around 10-15%

Most of the 747 in AI's are leased from internation Carrier Leasing companies.

Oh some trivia On June 11, 1962 Air India became the world's first all-jet airline.

There are some Humorous Expansions for PIA and AI , but i fear i might hurt some religious feelings.

Last edited by sreedotk : 11th April 2007 at 16:27. Reason: added some trivia
Old 12th April 2007, 03:47   #11
BHPian

AI has ordered all new planes...show be delivered soon.
Old 12th April 2007, 10:09   #12
BHPian

Gents, Does anyone know how old the aircrafts employed by AirDeccan and IA are? I have my own wonderful experience of flying Air-Deccan, but thats another story.

Unfortunately, these are the only two airlines which connect the tier-2/3 cities.

Cheers,
Su-47

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks