Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2020, 13:25   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

RIP Chuck Yeager

I know we have many aviation enthusiast on the forum. I just noticed this message this morning when I woke up. One of the last truly outstanding pilot who came with bags of the right stuff.

From the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-death-aged-97

Quote:
In the early 1960s, he was in charge of astronaut-style training for air force personnel but that program ended when the U.S. government decided not to militarize space. Still, 26 people trained by Yeager went into orbit as NASA astronauts.

Yeager reached the rank of brigadier general and in 1997 he marked the 50th anniversary of his historic flight by taking an F-15 past the speed of sound. He then announced that it was his last military flight.

Yeager became something of a social media sensation in 2016 at age 93 when he began fielding questions from the public on Twitter and responding in a curt and sometimes curmudgeonly manner. When asked what he thought about the moon, he replied: “It’s there.”

Yeager and Glennis, who died of cancer in 1990, had four children. He married Victoria Scott D’Angelo in 2003.

Reuters and Associated Press contributed to this report.Chuck Yeager, the American pilot who became the first person to break the sound barrier and was later immortalised in The Right Stuff, has died at the age of 97.

“It is [with] profound sorrow, I must tell you that my life love General Chuck Yeager passed just before 9pm ET,” Victoria Yeager said in a tweet announcing his death on Monday night.

She added: “An incredible life well lived, America’s greatest pilot, and a legacy of strength, adventure, and patriotism will be remembered forever.”

A second world war fighter ace known for his bluntness and courage, it was his exploits as a test pilot in the years after the war that earned him everlasting fame and paved the way for the successful space missions of the 1960s.

Looking back on his achievements in his autobiography in 1985, Yeager wrote:
“I haven’t yet done everything, but by the time I’m finished, I won’t have missed much. If I auger in (crash) tomorrow, it won’t be with a frown on my face. I’ve had a ball.”

Twenty years of the International Space Station – but was it worth it?
Read more
Although his lack of a college education meant he was not chosen for Nasa’s burgeoning astronaut program, he and many of his air force colleagues regarded pilots in Project Mercury as “spam in a can” who did not do any proper flying. They were, to Yeager and his cohort, mere passengers “throwing the right switches on instructions from the ground”.

His death-defying adventures nevertheless gained even greater legendary status thanks to his inclusion in Tom Wolfe’s book, The Right Stuff, alongside astronauts such as John Glenn. It was then made into a critically acclaimed film of the same name in which Yeager was played by Sam Shepard.

Tributes have poured in for Yeager, led by Nasa administrator, Jim Bridenstine, who called his death a “tremendous loss” for Americans.

“Today’s passing of Gen Chuck Yeager is a tremendous loss to our nation,” Bridenstine said in a statement. “Gen Yeager’s pioneering and innovative spirit advanced America’s abilities in the sky and set our nation’s dreams soaring into the jet age and the space age. He said, ‘You don’t concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done.’”

Born in West Virginia in 1923, Yeager enlisted in the air force at the beginning of the second world war and worked his way up to become a fighter pilot.

Flying a P-51 Mustang named Glamorous Glennis in tribute to his girlfriend (and later wife), Glennis Dickhouse, he was credited with 12 “kills” of German planes – including five in a single dogfight. During one mission over Europe he was shot down before escaping France into Spain to rejoin the war effort.

After the war he became a test pilot and was assigned to Muroc air force base in California (later renamed Edwards air force base) as part of the secret XS-1 project, which had a goal of hitting Mach 1, the speed of sound.

On 14 October 1947, he cemented his place in history when a B-29 bomber carried his brightly coloured Bell X-1 plane 26,000 feet (7,925m) over California’s Mojave desert and let it go.

Neither Yeager nor aviation engineers knew if the plane – or the pilot – would be able to handle the unprecedented speed without breaking up. But Yeager took the X-1, which was powered by liquid oxygen and alcohol, to a speed of Mach 1.06, or about 700mph (1,126kmh) at 43,000ft (13,000m).

He then calmly landed the craft, which was also named for Glennis, on a dry lake bed, 14 minutes after it had been cut loose on a flight that was a significant step toward space exploration.

Yeager said he had noted a Mach 0.965 reading on his speedometer before it jumped off the scale without a bump.

“I was thunderstruck,” he wrote in his autobiography. “After all the anxiety, breaking the sound barrier turned out to be a perfectly paved speedway.”

However, he almost didn’t make the flight, having fallen off a horse and broken two ribs two days before he was scheduled to attempt the record. Despite being in agony, he strapped up his body and improvised a device with a broom handle so he could close the tightly spaced cockpit hatch without revealing his incapacity.

Such was the “right stuff” that so impressed Wolfe. It helped Yeager to be unfazed by having a job that took him to the brink of death with every outing – such as the 1953 flight on which he safely landed his X-1A after hitting Mach 2.4 and then losing control of the aircraft for 51 seconds.

“It’s your duty to fly the airplane,” he told an interviewer. “If you get killed in it, you don’t know anything about it anyway so why worry about it?”

After his test pilot heyday, Yeager commanded fighter squadrons and flew 127 combat missions during the Vietnam war.

In the early 1960s, he was in charge of astronaut-style training for air force personnel but that program ended when the U.S. government decided not to militarize space. Still, 26 people trained by Yeager went into orbit as NASA astronauts.

Yeager reached the rank of brigadier general and in 1997 he marked the 50th anniversary of his historic flight by taking an F-15 past the speed of sound. He then announced that it was his last military flight.

Yeager became something of a social media sensation in 2016 at age 93 when he began fielding questions from the public on Twitter and responding in a curt and sometimes curmudgeonly manner. When asked what he thought about the moon, he replied: “It’s there.”

Yeager and Glennis, who died of cancer in 1990, had four children. He married Victoria Scott D’Angelo in 2003.

Reuters and Associated Press contributed to this report.
I had the pleasure and fortune to see him speak in public at Airventure Oshkosh a long time ago. I spend three days that year at Oshkosh, but the 45 minutes listening to Chuck were the best and the most memorable!

RIP Chuck

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 8th December 2020 at 13:27.
Jeroen is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 13:47   #2
BHPian

Re: RIP Chuck Yeager

Chuck Yeager has been one of the many legends on whose shoulders the last 70 years of aviations progress has been built. It's hard to believe the advances we have made in just a few decades in a field that has fascinated mankind for eternity.
Regarding his curt responses, he was once asked "Is doing a barrel roll fun?". His response: "Depends on why you're doing it"

RIP Gen Yeager
MegaWhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 14:40   #3
BHPian

I heard about Chuck Yeager in the book "The Right Stuff" by Tom Wolfe and boy-o-boy he is a legend when it comes to flying.
I seriously think that had I read this book during my school days, I would have at least tried to get in to the Indian Air Force (my spectacles not-withstanding). A must read book.

Yeager transformed flying and did everything unknown to everyone. It was only after the book came out people came to know about this legend.
RIP.
ValarMorghulis is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 14:49   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you Jeroen. I missed this news. My salute to an outstanding pilot who paved the way for all the supersonic fighters that criss-cross the skies today, not to forget the Concorde. His successful attempt to break the sound barrier carried a real risk of failure and death as happened with Geoffrey de Havilland Jr in September 1946 attempting the sound barrier for Britain. The structural stresses and aerodynamic anomalies of the sound barrier were unknowns then and de Havilland's aircraft simply disintegrated in flight. Chuck Yeager was no friend of India's and was an advisor to Yahya Khan during the Indo-Pak war of 1971 and was rather upset when Hunters from the IAF shot his Twin Otter personal transport to bits in a ground strafing run. But his political leanings aside he is one of the all time pilot greats and rightfully deserves our plaudits.

RIP Chuck Yeager-chuck-bellx1.jpg
Chuck Yeager and the Bell X.1 in which he broke the sound barrier. Note how small the machine is. It had to be kept small & light to enable the limited thrust of rocket motors available then to power an aircraft across Mach 1.0. This photo shows to good effect how thin the wing was.

RIP Chuck Yeager-bellx1.jpg
Artists rendition of the Bell X.1. The Americans went for a safe design - unswept wings, high mounted tail plane and kept the wings really thin to achieve speed and cope with its stress.

RIP Chuck Yeager-dh.108.jpg
UK's DH.108 that disintegrated in flight. The British went unconventional with a large 45 degree swept wing and a tail less design {which was not fully understood till a decade later}.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 8th December 2020 at 15:09.
V.Narayan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 23:13   #5

No fan of his for being an outright Indian antagonist but some more trivia on him.

A little known fact about Chuck Yeager is that he holds the world record for a spin -- 85,000 feet.

He was doing a zoom flight in a F-104 fitted with a rocket in the tail. On crossing 90,000 feet he eased the aircraft over the top and promptly got into a spin. After spinning through 85,000 feet and not being able to recover, he ejected safely.

The enquiry concluded that the gyroscopic effect of the windmilling engine caused the spin. After this accident, an SOP was made to keep a minimum speed over the top of the zoom.
Rotester Napa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 09:32   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

That Chuck Yeager was a flying legend is beyond doubt. What is interesting is his thought process regarding India. From the man who was appointed as an advisor to see to it that the American military aid was used properly and apparently the need for saving the Pakistanis from killing themselves while using US equipment since those were hi-tech beyond their brief !!

Incidentally the man who destroyed Chuck’s Beechcraft as Narayan Sir mentioned above was Arun Prakash, who later became the Indian Navy Chief. Chuck Yeager was fiercely loyal for Pakistan just because he was assigned to the country and for that he is venerated in Pakistan. For whatever it’s worth, the man was a hero and should always be remembered for breaking the sound barrier.

Heroes should always be remembered for their deeds and he earned his place in the history.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks