Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2022, 22:14   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Other Indian Web Forums are dying | That's a depressingly big loss for Netizens

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Is it just me or anyone else who is not able to open the riderzone link ?
Does not open for me too. Tried on multiple devices.

The author is active member of t-bhp (with same username, @RiderZone) may be he will look at this thread and bring the site up.
Old 28th January 2024, 03:13   #107
BHPian

Re: Other Indian Web Forums are dying | That's a depressingly big loss for Netizens

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
BCMTouring (founded by a late BHPian - God bless his soul) has just 5 updated threads:
Shutting down .

BCMTouring is slated to go offline on January 30, 2024.

https://www.bcmtouring.com/forums/th...n.82924/page-7

This is what the admin has posted there:
Quote:
We tried... Unfortunately, it didn't work out. There really wasn't much we could have done anyway. It's not the era of classic forums anymore. Times change. It changes things. This is one of those changes.
This site will go offline on 30th January, 2024.
As mentioned before, we will continue as a community through other channels - Whatsapp, Instagram and Facebook.

Last edited by darklord : 28th January 2024 at 03:17.
darklord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 12:10   #108
BHPian

I used to develop, populate & run forums in the past when I used to dabble in web designing field, about 15 years from now. Then the crowd shifted to tap-a-talk, reddit and after the arrival of discord forums became ghost towns, as the interactions happen live, people do not have the patience to wait for someone to respond to their threads/posts. Won't be surprised if more forums start to fall, since maintaining them takes a toll on the pocket, specially if they run on a dedicated server & with falling traffic it becomes hard to maintain.
montsa007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 11:51   #109
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Don't want to brag at all and with the utmost humility, I'll say that we have had 3 - 4 of our best months (website traffic) in the last 1 year. I feel there will always be solid demand & need for high-quality discussions from individuals. Commenting isn't dead - the success of Reddit (they have some nice discussions) & the comments on social media (high volume, but troll + junk) are proof of that.

What really requires commitment is QUALITY. Quality discussions will always grow, poor discussions will wither away.

The recent PayTM thread is already a multi-page rich discussion with 50,000 views.

The informative Safari Facelift thread has crossed 5-lakh views.

The Honda Elevate Review thread has crossed 2-million views!

Last edited by GTO : 4th February 2024 at 19:07. Reason: One more thing
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 21:33   #110
BANNED

Quote:

P.S. Our forum activity levels have gone up by 25 - 30% in the last 2 years. We're growing, but we're an outlier among online communities. Team-BHP has hundreds of teenage members signing up too, clearly proving that youngsters serious about sharing & learning are attracted to forums.

As a fellow teenager on the TBHP forum ( I got to find out about this forum from my dad) I've got to say, I'm enjoying my time here. It's finally great to see likeminded autoenthusiasts who enjoy the same things I do, while also teaching me.

If I may ask / criticise this forum a bit, Why is the website of the forum so dated? My friends saw the forum open on my laptop and asked me if I was on Internet Archive (A website for viewing saw\ved collections of older websites) The website's also clunky, and hard to navigate. I'm speaking as someone with a pretty good reach over technology, but it actually took me all this time to figure out how to change my profile signature.

Despite the website's quirks, the thriving community and shared passion for automobiles on TBHP undoubtedly make it a special place for enthusiasts like me. Perhaps, with a few updates and improvements to the website's design and functionality, TBHP could reach even greater heights and continue to attract a diverse range of auto enthusiasts, both young and old.
UNSC117 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 22:40   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNSC117 View Post
The website's also clunky, and hard to navigate. I'm speaking as someone with a pretty good reach over technology, but it actually took me all this time to figure out how to change my profile signature.
We are primarily a long form content based forum. Too much color or bling will distract from the primary function of our forum.

We are like Kindle, you are expecting iPad. Those who want to read books most of the time, will pick Kindle over iPad.

Quote:
Perhaps, with a few updates and improvements to the website's design and functionality, TBHP could reach even greater heights and continue to attract a diverse range of auto enthusiasts, both young and old.
We have lots of content that is timeless. If someone wants to know how fiat currency works, I can just point them to a post I wrote 12 years ago. If you want to know how Mahindra Thar was conceived, you can check this thread.

This assures contributors on TeamBHP that their content has permanence and is searchable for decades to come. So, we all put extra efforts to write better, with years of future audiences in mind.

I agree that the website could look better, but web technologies come and go all the time. When I joined the forum, smartphones didn't exist. We are about to complete 20 years next week, on a forum software version that is at least 15 years old. Most of us don't keep coming here for the looks of the forum. We come here for content and to share our thoughts with fellow members. I don't know any other forum where I can closely interact with such diverse set of people, and tap their collective knowledge.

Last edited by Samurai : 4th February 2024 at 22:42.
Samurai is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 23:28   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If I may ask / criticise this forum a bit, Why is the website of the forum so dated?
Because it is about content more than appearances.

The forum concept is aged compared to facebook, twitter, instagram, youtube. But it works for long-term information storage. Stuff does not simply scroll away into the past.

Yes, even as forums (and this is what was the new and trendy name for bulletin boards )go, this one does look old-fashioned. The software is indeed old. It has been maintained and customised over the years (decades). It is still changing.

There is twenty years of information and shared experience here. Imagine the work involved in porting that to a different base forum software. There are prettier ones, but is pretty worth all that effort?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 02:24   #113
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Perhaps, with a few updates and improvements to the website's design and functionality, TBHP could reach even greater heights and continue to attract a diverse range of auto enthusiasts, both young and old.
I am not one for hazing generally but a little inaccessibility is needed when the bar to generate 'content' and spam computers is very low in the age of LLM and bots. The forum is accessible through the web and is not locked behind a paywall or account registration and is not going away anytime soon. Prospective users can take all the time they need to validate for themselves if they like this forum enough to engage with it respectfully.

Traditional forums like this also have one more weakness compared to the more modern forums like lemmy in that it gets quite difficult to follow a thread once it gets a lot of users and posts. Following certain threads on resetera is nigh impossible.
hikozaru is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 11:56   #114
BHPian

It is not just that the other web forums are dying, but generally a lot of content oriented websites are dying too.

The other day I found a statistics that in the last 4 years, nearly 20 % of all websites have perished. One of the main reasons is the lack of adequate financial model. Google Adsense which added thousands of websites ostensibly written to soak up the Adsense money, dried up leaving these sites starved of money.

Add the LLM to this equation, you can see that content websites whose only reason to exist is to impart information without a clear financial model will have to perish.

But sites like TBHP which have passionate, devoted enthusiasts will flourish. Take a simple example, to post a content here about batteries in UPS, you spend quite a bit of time digging up information and then hammering away at the keyboard to write a paragraph. You need to have a bit of passion to dedicate some time for fellow automobile enthusiasts.

Imagine the kind of hard work mods and the administrators do to run the show.

For us , we don't need bling and show. We need real stuff. Keep 'em coming!
Quote:
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 20:21   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
BCMTouring is slated to go offline on January 30, 2024.
So sad. I had some travelogues there. Now it is all gone.
I was thinking of replicating it here just for the sake of memory, but was not sure if that will make sense here (will it be allowed here? If yes would like to have it online again) as some were more than a decade old.
kozhissery is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2024, 11:23   #116
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
I was thinking of replicating it here just for the sake of memory, but was not sure if that will make sense here (will it be allowed here? If yes would like to have it online again) as some were more than a decade old.
Yes, of course! Please replicate the most memorable / special of those travelogues here.

If you have them locally saved, awesome. If not, am sure you can use web archive (or Google cache) to view your older content on BCMTouring.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th March 2024, 15:08   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, of course! Please replicate the most memorable / special of those travelogues here.
I'm already trying to replicate my old threads that I lost when gearheads switched off.
14000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks