Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What is the cost of your mobile phone relative to your car?
1-4% 235 69.94%
5-8% 66 19.64%
9-12% 22 6.55%
12/% or more (aka I have a Kwid/Spresso/RediGo and an iPhone Pro Max) 13 3.87%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2021, 22:43   #1
BANNED

Cost of your smartphone relative to your car

I've been an avid reader of this forum, and I have seen numerous buying decisions being made and various cars being dropped due to the availability/non-availability of Apple Car Play/Android auto.

Recently, in a thread, a member said that he dropped buying the Ecosport because Apple Car play was not available in the Ford. And my first reaction (in my mind) was, "mate if you can afford a 1 lakh rupee phone, why are you even looking to buy a 8 lakh rupee car?" (Ofcourse, I didnt type that out) (Thats a 12.5% relative cost of phone to car)

And that got me wondering, whats the cost of your phone, relative to the cost of your car?

I personally think that these days you can get a decent android that will last you a couple of years for 20K (Motorola G 5G, Xiaomi Mi 10i 5g, Samsung M42 5G etc), and a decent car for under 10 lakhs. So its about 2% relative cost.

I'd love to know what your phone costs, relative to your car.

Note 1: I am in no way calling iPhones overpriced, I understand that they use top of the line hardware and software, and that they make their own chips etc etc. (If you apple users are so offended by this post, mentally substitute iPhone for Galaxy S21 ultra and re-read this post.) I just think that such expensive gadgets should be bought after you reach a certain amount of financial comfort in life

Note 2: Mods, I was unsure whether to put this in Gadgets section, or in the Indian Car Scene section, so please feel free to move it as per your liking
turbo is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 22:47   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Cost of your smartphone relative to your car

Walk into any apartment complex or even villas. Look at the cheapest and the most expensive car parked in the respective parking lots.

Priorities and preferences would differ across families
ashis89 is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 22:50   #3
BHPian

Very interesting thread! Before I give my answer, one caveat here: I have a two and a half year old Samsung Galaxy Note 9 and a brand new car, so the ratio may be slightly skewed.

Nonetheless comparing the two: my phone/car ratio is 3.75%.

PS: I agree with your friend there. Having Apple Carplay/Android Auto is an absolute must for me now. Even if I were to buy a very cheap beater.
GNG19 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 22:51   #4
BHPian

One can buy a 40 lakh rupee car and be happy with budget smartphone for 10k rupees. OTOH I've seen people buying iPhone on EMI which they clearly couldn't afford. I believe it boils down to each individual's decision. Me personally I don't see any point in spending more than 20k on a phone as 90% of the time only I would see, feel the phone's quality, screen and hardware. When it comes to car, everyone sees you driving it and they know it is "your" car ! Can't say the same about phone.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd May 2021 at 08:23. Reason: The Team-BHP Mods have decided to allow this thread.
Akshay6988 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 22:56   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Recently, in a thread, a member said that he dropped buying the Ecosport because Apple Car play was not available in the Ford. And my first reaction (in my mind) was, "mate if you can afford a 1 lakh rupee phone, why are you even looking to buy a 8 lakh rupee car?" (Ofcourse, I didnt type that out) (Thats a 12.5% relative cost of phone to car)
I am not sure if that is a fair assessment. Could be the first/second/third/fourth car of the household? There could be a price cap due to availing an office/business lease?

But why stop at a mobile phone? People are buying 2.5 lakh Macs too?
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 22:59   #6
BHPian

I’ve actually been thinking about this topic for a while, so here goes. I don’t mean to disagree with you @turbo, but the first thought you had when you read that post — that’s something I’ve heard a few times and I view that thought differently.

1. A smartphone is a necessity. We use it almost 24x7, so spending 1 lakh or more on it can easily be justified because it’s being used that much.

2. A car on the other hand, is going to be idle for 90% of the time for many people (especially during the lockdown). So a person who has a 1 lakh phone may not feel that it’s worth it to spend 30 lakhs on a car for wireless CarPlay.

3. The smartphone experience in the car is a big decision making factor for many people and justifiably so. If CarPlay or Android Auto makes you use your phone less while driving, it’s a big win.

4. Lithium ion batteries degrade quite a lot over time, especially in compact devices such as smartphones. So someone spending 1.5L on a phone will face the same battery life issues a couple years down the line as someone who spends 20k. That’s why phone purchases are essentially like subscription services where you just replace the device every 2-3 years regardless of how good it is.

5. Car purchases for me at least are far more long-term, so a minor missing feature annoy me a lot for a lot longer.

Now to answer the original question, my phone cost around 20k but the car was around eight big ones. I went for the top model in the car because I wanted some features such as a stock Bluetooth stereo. With the phone I can totally afford to get a mid-range device as it’ll be updated anyway and the trickle down effect happens a lot quicker. Flagship features come to budget phones within a couple years these days.
Crow is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 08:10   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I love Android smartphones and hence, don't own an overpriced iPhone . Although I buy flagship Androids, I still find them to be value-for-money compared to the iPhones. Paid 42,900 for my S9 after Samsung surprisingly gave me 20 grand or so for my 2+ year old S6! Incidentally, that is exactly 1% of the 42.50 lakhs I paid for my 530d in 2015.

Voted for 1%.

I don't think I would ever spend over 50000 - 60000 for a phone, unless it is really snazzy looking or a special edition (e.g. Formula 1 special edition or Ferrari / Porsche types).

Last edited by GTO : 3rd May 2021 at 08:12.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 08:48   #8
Team-BHP Support

In 2004, I bought the cheapest phone available (Rs. 1k? 2k? don't remember) and most expensive car I could afford (Chevrolet Optra LT 1.8 petrol manual, Rs. 11.3 Lakhs on road Bangalore).

I have come to realize that cheaper the phone, the more careless you become. You tend to misplace it and drop it more often (since you don't care about its value). Cheap phone = frequent replacements. When it comes to smartphones, this becomes worse since they are so fragile. I used to buy low cost smartphones for Rs. 8,000 to Rs. 12,000. This meant frequent replacements due to dropping, overheating (it was under the pillow the whole night), phone slowing down, misplacing somewhere on a holiday etc.

So I finally bought a Rs. 36,000 Nokia 8 in 2017 I think. Because it is relatively expensive, I'm a lot more careful with it. Kids don't get to pickup the phone & play with it. I don't drop the phone very often. Possibly due to stock Android, it is still as slick as it was when I first bought it.

Meanwhile, my brother bought an Alto in 2007. I loved driving the Alto as much as I loved driving the Optra/Civic. That's when it struck me -> A car does not have to be expensive for driving fun. Cheap cars offer the same feel good effect as relatively expensive cars. That's because I enjoy driving slow too. I don't need wheelspin or revving to 6000 RPM or cornering G-forces to enjoy the drive.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...you-enjoy.html (Driving slow - Do you enjoy it?)

After such a realization, I have stopped buying expensive cars. Actually, in city traffic, my A-star automatic is more enjoyable to drive than my old Honda Civic manual

My cheatsheet:

Smartphones -> More expensive the better, but not over the top
Cars -> Cheaper the better, but not bargain basement cheap.

Last edited by SmartCat : 4th May 2021 at 12:55.
SmartCat is online now   (46) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 08:55   #9
Team-BHP Support

Just within my family we have different standards. I prefer to buy the cheapest android phone that will meet my humble needs. I have never bought flag-ship models from any phone maker, in the 10 years. But my wife has the latest iPhone.

But when it comes cars, the roles reverse. I want the best I can afford with all the features I desire, and my wife just wants a A-to-B car with automatic transmission. Well, that could be changing though, now my wife is eyeing top end Sonet although she doesn't get to drive anywhere these days.

I voted for 1-4%, but my wife could be anywhere in the chart depending on what the market has at the time of purchase.
Samurai is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 09:15   #10
Team-BHP Support

My purchase decision is simple.

Buy any phone you like / want, but you don't have to stretch for it. You don't have to opt for EMI's for a phone (of all things).

I prefer to get a phone of around Rs. 50,000 as phone's shelf life isn't much and trade in value is low. And, if at home, I prefer to use my dekstop or the iPad than browsing on phone.

I hate to read / browse anything on the phone, unless, I am waiting for someone or have to kill time and am not at home and have not carried the iPad.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 09:28   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Right now my phone cost to car cost ratio is stupendous 20%

Last year bought phone and car

Driving a pre-owned OLD type Maruti Baleno that I bought for 70k included were brand new set of tires and free flow exhaust and had genuine 75k on odo. The car is hitting 15 year rule this year end so owner was in hurry to sell. Hoping extension of 5 years is fully notified and can enjoy skirt five years in the peppy car.

Phone is Redmi Note which was priced at 15k last year when I replaced my four year old phone.

Last edited by sudev : 3rd May 2021 at 09:32.
sudev is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 09:43   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

If we had a less than 1% option that's where I'd be. My daughter (a millennial, what else) was once horrified that my phone was 5 years old till my wife informed her that my laptop is 11 years old. As for the car, well now, now, now who dare compare a car with a phone. That's like comparing the Taj Mahal with a hut.

Honest to goodness I had no clue till I read this thread that phones are purchased on EMIs <swoon, faint, flop> Every day, something new to learn.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 3rd May 2021 at 09:46.
V.Narayan is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 10:11   #13
Team-BHP Support

I have the iPhone 11 (bought at 58k) and my '16 EcoSport cost 11 lakhs. So, around 6%. I'm one of those: buy the best and latest and use it till it is torn/broken/finished. The iPhone 11 replaced my five-year-old iPhone 6. The 6 is still in service as a backup phone for the Mrs.

Beyond a chuckle, I'm just curious how/where this statistic helps. We have a few threads on these lines: Car as % of your salary, loans vs. outright purchase. But phone cost as a % of car?

There's a good chance this will end up as a Android vs. iOS argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Honest to goodness I had no clue till I read this thread that phones are purchased on EMIs
Uncle Sam has spread the tentacles of debt-driven capitalism far and wide and quick.

EDIT: This will also naturally be a very heavily skewed statistic. The younger chaps would be <10 lakh salaries but prefer the latest phones (often on EMI) while the salt and pepper foxes would have a fat wallet but prefer the most basic phone that allows them to take calls and forward Good Morning messages to all their family groups.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 3rd May 2021 at 10:24.
libranof1987 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 11:02   #14
Team-BHP Support

Cost of the most expensive phone I have ever bought = 22,000
Cost of the most expensive car I have ever bought = 11,00,000

Roughly 2%

In my opinion, my next car will be closer to 18 lakh and my next phone may be closer to 25,000 so the ratio will go down further.

However, do remember that the car is for family use while the mobile is personal use. If I add up my family's mobile money spend it will be closer to Rs 1.4 lakh.
Eddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 11:36   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

My vote is in the 5-8% bracket. The last phone I picked up costed me around 58k. which is like 5% of the on road car cost.

At least in my case, there is no correlation between the car and mobile. However, I know a couple of folks who have upgraded their phones as they got a new car.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks